Coopers Community

sg discrepancy

worry wort

This will be easy to solve, I'm sure, just as I'm new to it its confused me. I made a 150 lashes style of brew about 3 months ago, came out great, but  sg was 1.042. Today I made another one, same ingredients, but sg is just 1.036. what would cause the difference if all conditions were the same, including using chilled water to get wort to same temp to pitch yeast. Ambient air difference was the only thing that's changed.

cheers

WorryWort

46 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Yeah probably just ingredients not dissolved fully. Or the second one is actually correct and the first one was a thicker sample. 

What are the ingredients and the batch volume?

actually, you may have just answered it. ingredients are a doodle, 1x1.75 pacific pale ale, 1x1.5 wheat malt extract dissolved in 2ltr hot water, add to fv, top to 23 ltr, American ale yeast, stir n seal. Last time I mixed it in the fv, it may have been less than 2ltr of water, closer to 1ltr. This time was measured to 2lr in a brewing bucket, so yes, last time was probably more dense at mixing time.

Thanks guys.

12 hours ago, worry wort said:

what would cause the difference if all conditions were the same

Maybe a dodgy hydrometer.  Some people report they can get cracked and let fluid in, so measurements can be different.  If some liquid has gotten inside I think the hydrometer would sink deeper and read lesser.  They can be a bit off too.  However, that does not explain the different readings.

When you get a new piece of kit, certainly a measuring device you need to check how good the calibration is. Hydrometers are usually calibrated at 20 deg in distilled water (buy in coles or woolies). Now heat that water and take a second reading at say 60 deg. You should see a vast difference in the reading so bare this in mind when you take and measure a sample. Best kit i ever bought was a refractometer. Small sample size and if you follow the calibration intructions you can actually use them to measure fg also. These are not very expensive. Dont blow away the hydro as its good every now and then to cross check readings.

Archived