Coopers Community

Beer Lao

Marty_G

One of my favorite if not my favorite beer is the Laos beer BeerLao  ... is anyone aware of a recipe or commercial wort and lager yeast that may give me a reasonable facsimile of it ... actually i am very fond of the Asian beers ... 

Beer lao black is probably in my eyes the best asian beer. 

I do asian beers in summer however my recipe has a little more taste than the shop examples

I do the following recipe. Its all grain but extract can get close 

2.8kg pilsner malt

1kg woolies homebrand white rice. Added to a pot and held at 73c for 20 mins. Then raises to boil and shut the off the heat. Leave till cooked through.

100gm melanoiden

100gm carapils

25 ibu made up of magnum at the start for half of it then saaz or hallertau at the end for the rest. 

Fermented at 10c with wyeast 2000 budvar. For authentic id use Wyeast 2042.

For extract. 

Can coopers lager

500gm LDME

Half a jar rice extract. Its hard to find but its out there.

Steep 100gm melanoiden and 100gm carapils for 20 mins in 65c water.

Hop tea of 20gms of saaz or hallertau.

Ferment at 10c with W34/70 or if you can make starters Wyeast 2042.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

I do asian beers in summer however my recipe has a little more taste than the shop examples

2.8kg pilsner malt

1kg woolies homebrand white rice. Added to a pot and held at 73c for 20 mins. Then raises to boil and shut the off the heat. Leave till cooked through.

100gm melanoiden

100gm carapils

25 ibu made up of magnum at the start for half of it then saaz or hallertau at the end for the rest. 

For extract. 

Can coopers lager

500gm LDME

Thank you so much ... will look it over and see which recipe best suits my needs ... probably the extract but at some stage will have to have a go at AG and this may be it ... will let you know what I do ...

14 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

2.8kg pilsner malt

100gm melanoiden

100gm carapils

For extract. 

Can coopers lager

500gm LDME

been  searching the web for rice extract ... could you give me a barnd or a bit more detail ... see a lot of stuff called red rice yeast ... 

3 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

another question:  I imagine these are in placed in muslin, so are are these and the liquid added to the wort  ...

I never bothered with muslin cloth. Saucepan of water up to temp. Cut off the heat drop in the grains and put the lid on. After 20 mins strain through a sieve into the fermenter with the other fermentables. Some say boil it to get rid of the chance of contamination but did it 10+ times and never a problem.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2019 at 9:23 PM, Greeny1525229549 said:

2.8kg pilsner malt

100gm melanoiden

100gm carapils

For extract. 

Can coopers lager

500gm LDME

one last question .... do these require lagering like the European lagers  ...  

Thanks for the help everyone will report back when  in a month or so when I am drinking this ....  and Greeny thanks for the recipe ... we obviously have some similar tastes in beer ...  once again cheers everyone ... 

2 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Thanks for the help everyone will report back when  in a month or so when I am drinking this ....  and Greeny thanks for the recipe ... we obviously have some similar tastes in beer ...  once again cheers everyone ... 

No problem mate. Yeah. In summer its probably every 4th batch or so. With a few other lagers in between. Summer is definitely the season for lager for me.

On 2/3/2019 at 12:34 PM, Greeny1525229549 said:

https://www.thebrewshop.com.au/catalog/product/view/id/1852/s/esb-amber-malt-extract-1-5-kg-jar/category/149/

Bloody rip off but this is it. Rice malt extract. If you do all grain you can make it for $1 and they charge $17.

Went and picked up the ingredients for the Lao beer form my local brew shop ... he did not have the rice malt extract but gave me a tip on where to get it ... my local health food store $8.00 for a 1/2 litre jar ...  pretty happy with that ... 

• Like 1

Ok. Better than a full jar for 17 when you don't need it all. Still dont understand why its so expensive when a kg of rice is 1 dollar from woolies.

If you ever go to all grain here is some info on cereal mashing rice or other grains.

http://beersmith.com/blog/2013/09/06/cereal-mash-steps-for-all-grain-beer-brewing/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Bottled this today .... OG 1042 - FG 1006 so comes in just a tad over 5% .... taste test this morning was very promising ...  crisp with  a hint of hop, lovely straw honey colour ...  looking forward to the first carbonated taste in 2 weeks before lagering for a  couple of months  ...   

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Good stuff Marty. Like any lager it will benefit from a lagering period. 

Mine usually finish around the 1006 ish too. The rice tends to ferment out more than the malt. What yeast did you end up going with?

34/70 was the yeast .... 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2019 at 4:56 AM, Greeny1525229549 said:

Good stuff Marty. Like any lager it will benefit from a lagering period. 

Mine usually finish around the 1006 ish too. The rice tends to ferment out more than the malt. What yeast did you end up going with?

The Beer Lao clone is ready ... bit early to drink 12 days in bottle but what the heck ... very clean flavour profile ... nice delicate earthy taste of the Saaz is naturally reminiscent of  Pilsner but the rice malt gives a clean malt free crisp flavour  ... 

Beer_lao.jpg

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Looks nice marty. Good stuff

Thanks for the recipe Greeny .... was easy to do, learnt heaps as it was my 1st partial mash, tastes great .... will lager for a couple of months tasting the odd 1 as I go ... then do a side by side to see how it compares to the real stuff ...  so once again much appreciated ... I suppose the thread can go off into the ether now ... 

• 1 year later...
On 2/2/2019 at 6:23 PM, Greeny1525229549 said:

2.8kg pilsner malt

100gm melanoiden

100gm carapils

For extract. 

Can coopers lager

500gm LDME

I am definitely going to try this as I like beer Lao a lot. You mentioned you are a fan of beer Lao dark. Do you by chance have a clone recipe for that? Thanks

Beer Lao and especially Beer Lao Dark , were my favourite special occasion beers when living in Thailand.

I only lived about 20kms from the Thai Lao border but it was pretty hard to get on the Thai side.

(Thai breweries and their laws are very protectionist)

Bloody lovely stuff, well better than the Thai beers.

Best of the Asian beers by far I reckon.

Might try  and do my  first lager ever with a clone of either of the 2.

Was in Singapore  a couple of years ago and had Tiger Black which was also very nice , well worth  a try if you like BeerLao Dark.

Yum

Cheers

James

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...