Coopers Community

Experiences with Clarity Ferm

ChristinaS1

Hi Everyone,

Just want to ask those of you that have used Clarity Ferm what your experience with it was like. Does it have any negative effect on flavour, aroma, or mouthfeel? Aside from the beer being more clear, can you tell that you have used it?

The reason I ask is that my wife, who has an auto-immune condition, has started a special diet (a twist on the Paleo diet) to try to eat fewer inflammation causing foods. This includes cutting out all grains (except white Basmati rice). One thing in grain that causes inflammation is gluten (although there are other factors as well). Since I suffer from joint pain, I am thinking about giving up grains as well, which will make cooking for the family simpler, and might help me. But one thing I am not willing to give up is beer. I have been toying with the idea of using Clarity Ferm in my brewing. Eliminating most of the gluten might make beer less inflammatory. But I am not sure I am prepared to use Clarity Ferm if it has a negative effect on taste.

Cheers,

Christina.

Hey Christina,

Is the diet change FODMAP? I too have an auto-ammune disease and have been prescribed this diet change. 

FODMAP was developed at the Monash University. Basically reduces the amount of fermentables in the stomach and intestinal tract. It’s not gluten free but seems to go this way anyway. 

I’m going to use clarity ferm in my next brew and send some to a celiac work mate to see how it goes.

Hi Captain.

No, her diet is not FODMAP. She has chosen to the Paleo Autoimmune Protocol and, at my urging, has adopted some aspects of the reduced lectin diet. In terms of autoimmune conditions, the low lectin diet makes a lot of sense to me. As a hobby farmer I am well aware that plants are engaged in constant chemical warfare. 

I will be interested to hear how your celiac friend makes out with your Clarity Ferm brew. Using it adds C$7 to the cost of a batch but it might be worth it.

Cheers,

Christina.

I’ve done some reading in that paleo auto immune protocol and is interesting. Paleo puts me off a bit but only because in Aus we have this quite famous chef saying that bone broth is better than Brest feeding your new born. Sorry I digress. 

Ill definately let you know with regards to my celiac friend but it will be a while off. $7 a brew is worth it in my opinion. It’s about $12 here for me which is equivalent to 150g if hops.

On 1/29/2019 at 6:47 AM, Hairy said:

I think @porschemad911 has used it. Although I’m getting older and my memory isn’t as good as it used to be.

Perhaps he can assist.

I have used it in one beer, an extract ginger saison I made for my sister more than a year ago. 

I actually tasted one on the weekend while I was at her place cooking BBQ. It had held up well considering it was not a high gravity beer. Throughout the lifetime of that batch I have never noticed any off flavours or lacking flavours compared to other beers. And my sister had no reaction to it. 

I'd give it a go Christina! 

Cheers, 

John 

Coincidentally I just read this article https://craftypint.com/beer/3976/wayward-brewing-dad-rock-imperial-ipa-gluten-reduced and sent it to my friend who is a coeliac. He is super sensitive so will try some wayward beers with caution. Wayward beers are as good as ever, so I suspect flavour is not compromised!

Worth a go if it means better overall health n digestion. Good luck Christina and Captn

I've used it. No adverse taste. Not overly clarifying. I have only heard anecdotally from my LHBS that he has a "gluten free" customer using it successfully. 

Fairly expensive at $7 for one shot into 23L, but I suppose that is cheap insurance.

Cheers

Thanks for the replies everyone. It does sound promising.

Captain, I did not know it is also supposed to increase shelf life. Interesting. What does that mean exactly, do you suppose? Doesn't that usually refer to oxidation of malt / sherry/ cardboard flavours? I don't see anything in the product description about that. 

Just looking at the product description now. It is an "Enzyme containing proline-specific endo-protease derived from a selected strain of Aspergillus niger." It reduces gluten by chopping up the gluten proteins, which are proline-rich. Very good.

Cheers,

Christina.

Gday Christina,

Have a listen to this podcast with Charlie Bamforth. Pretty sure it’s mentioned in this one. I’m pretty sure it was produced originally as a beer stabiliser before it had a great side effect of breaking down glutens.

http://beersmith.com/blog/2018/12/20/quality-in-beer-with-dr-charlie-bamforth-beersmith-podcast-184/

• 1 month later...

Gday,

So I’ve sent the beers to my celiac friend and she had no adverse reactions to the beer, in fact drunk all of it in the one day as she said, finally a beer that tastes great and doesn’t hurt. 

I was chuffed that she loved it. 

Thumbs up for Clarity Ferm.

Archived