Coopers Community

Euro craft beer

PaddyBrew2

I’m xurrently in Vienna having a nice wheat beer. The last theee weeks has seen me drinking craft in Ireland , Hungary and Austria.  One thing I’ve noticed. The IPAs and the IIPAs ( for the most part) have this apricot after taste. I’ve tried researching the hops in the beers but I can’t find much. It’s almost a sweet aftertaste. One I don’t like. One that takes away from the malty hop balance that most of these styled beers should have. 

Does anyone know the hop or hops that cause this apricot taste ?

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2019 at 9:53 PM, Alpaca Brew said:

Europe is about 20 years behind the USA in craft beer.  It has only been in the last 5 years or so it really has started to take off but it has taken off quickly.

Totally agree. There’s been a status quo in Europe for a long long time. It will take a change of mindset from the current generation of drinkers to help the scene along its way.  I’m the only one of my mates who enjoys craft back in Ireland. The rest stick to Guinness, Heineken and Coors fckn Lite

Australia for me is second to none for the craft beer scene. Such good brewers, only thing is the cost due to the taxing of alcohol. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

...Australia for me is second to none for the craft beer scene. Such good brewers, only thing is the cost due to the taxing of alcohol. 

Yup.

This bi-annual increased taxing of it needs to stop right #$%^ing now too. On a worldwide scale it is at ridiculous levels (in this country) as an overall percentage against that of other countries & how they are taxed on alcoholic beverages.

As consumers we suffer the end cost of this ridiculously high taxing process continuously, not the breweries as they just pass on the increased tax rates as an increased cost on their product, that we then all pay over the counter. That's why the breweries don't give a shit year after year because it doesn't hurt them in a direct way. As individuals it's hard to have or create a collective voice about this, so I take aim at the breweries for NOT standing up as a collective for us as consumers & fighting for better taxing rates on their products that we ALL support.

Since the breweries don't really give a crap about sticking up for us as a "fair go" on pricing, maybe I'll petition the government to set a dollar value the breweries can sell their wares at based on alcohol percentage & when the CPI increases come in every 6 months the breweries can wear the costs of producing their beer instead of passing that cost onto the consumer.

I reckon they'd ALL suddenly become very interested & vocal about the CPI increases each year then!!

The tax system of this country & the spineless response by it's people collectively sucks IMHO!

Just my 2 cents,

Lusty.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 5/31/2019 at 8:39 PM, PaddyBrew2 said:

I’m the only one of my mates who enjoys craft back in Ireland. The rest stick to Guinness, Heineken and Coors fckn Lite

Anyone who has been to the regions in the South West and West of Ireland and had a pint of Guinness  would realise there is really nothing better.  It is so good.  Over the decades I have had many a pint in a huge variety of hotels and pubs from the Antrim and Donegal Coasts through Connemara and on to Kerry and found the pints in the West and South West a joy to drink.   I recall i was in a little pub in Clifden sitting around a peat fire and it was the best beer I have ever tasted which is a big call as I have had so many good ones.  Maybe things have changed in the 15 yeas since I was last there but in the  7 or 8 times I was there previously it was always the same ...  

On 5/21/2019 at 11:53 PM, Alpaca Brew said:

Europe is about 20 years behind the USA in craft beer.

This I can understand as the commercial beers in USA are bloody terrible however, there are plenty of good European beers  ... 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 7/15/2019 at 7:38 AM, MartyG1525230263 said:

Anyone who has been to the regions in the South West and West of Ireland and had a pint of Guinness  would realise there is really nothing better.  It is so good.  Over the decades I have had many a pint in a huge variety of hotels and pubs from the Antrim and Donegal Coasts through Connemara and on to Kerry and found the pints in the West and South West a joy to drink.   I recall i was in a little pub in Clifden sitting around a peat fire and it was the best beer I have ever tasted which is a big call as I have had so many good ones.  Maybe things have changed in the 15 yeas since I was last there but in the  7 or 8 times I was there previously it was always the same ...  

I've been lucky enough to have spent a couple of weeks in Ireland recently. I did have one Guinness the entire trip, freshly tapped at a pub in Kilkenny. The thing is, I'm not a big Guinness fan but you can't go to Ireland and not have one. It just tastes so much better there than anywhere else. We spent a few nights in Ballymore, just outside Cobh and this little pub there had Beamish Stout on tap. Now that was a beer worth drinking. But for the most part, I lived on Smithwick's. Who needs Guinness, if you can have such a great red ale...although both come from St. James Gate Brewery in Dublin. But what I don't understand is how the Irish can drink such crap like Heineken or Coors, considering the awesome beers they have. It's not just the pubs. Even in the supermarkets, that stuff practically walks out the door. 

• Like 1

On 5/31/2019 at 9:16 PM, Beerlust said:

Yup.

This bi-annual increased taxing of it needs to stop right #$%^ing now too. On a worldwide scale it is at ridiculous levels (in this country) as an overall percentage against that of other countries & how they are taxed on alcoholic beverages.

I spent some time in Germany recently and the alcohol prices there bring tears to Aussie eyes. On average, we pay factor 2.5 more for beer or other booze than they do. A 20 stubby crate of decent beer goes for about $20, compared to the $50 we pay (ok, there's 4 bottle more). Cheap vodka can be picked up for about 10 bucks, where we pay at least 25 for not particularly good stuff.  I picked up a 1l bottle of Captain Morgan black for the equivalent of $25. Fireball was just over 20 dollars a bottle and so was a bottle of Jameson Cask Mates IPA edition. 

They say this is to prevent young ones from binge drinking. Well, Europe is not full of raging alcoholics and there aren't permanent violent street brawls in the Entertainment districts. Europeans have a very different attitude towards alcohol, probably because they grow up with it being readily available. You can buy beer at service stations for Pete's sake. High RPM beer at that, like the 10%ABV Danish Faxe. 

We do need to "denannyfy" our country, we really need to.  

• Thanks 1

On 7/15/2019 at 7:38 AM, MartyG1525230263 said:

Anyone who has been to the regions in the South West and West of Ireland and had a pint of Guinness  would realise there is really nothing better...  

Marty I have to agree. I spent a few weeks in Ireland about 15 years ago and still recall that the best pint of Guinness I had was in Dingle. I’m not sure why and I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone else make the same comment, let alone give an explanation. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

I did have one Guinness the entire trip, freshly tapped at a pub in Kilkenny.

Unfortunately doubt that you had it at its best ... the best pints are in the south west I don't understand why but the further west you go from Dublin the better it is ... 

19 hours ago, Farls said:

I spent a few weeks in Ireland about 15 years ago and still recall that the best pint of Guinness I had was in Dingle

Dingle, great spot. Can't get much further west than that ...  

Edited by MartyG1525230263

19 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Unfortunately doubt that you had it at its best ... the best pints are in the south west I don't understand why but the further west you go from Dublin the better it is ... 

By the time I got to the west coast, I was stuck on reds 🙂