Coopers Community

recommended fermentables

AlanT58

Hi all,

Total newb here. i bought a few cans of coopers and the instructions say to add recommended fermentables .

OK so what choices do i have of what and how much of each am i to add for a simple starter brew.  I was hoping all would be revealed on the back of the label but alas no. The can just says to go to diybeer.com/101. Is there a minimum basic recipe. I can clearly see on this site that there is a multitude of variation of ingredients and levels of difficulty. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers Al.

Hi Alan

Welcome to the Community

There are more detailed instructions on the inside of the can label.  You should be able to see a red tab that says peel here (see photo) and some perforations.  They will just give you the basics to brew that particular can.  Different recipes are on this website (and others).  This Community will give you lots of great ideas too.  The Coopers brewing videos are worth watching once as well.  A Youtube channel I found really helpful is Fast Homebrew.  The guy is on this Forum too.

Cheers and have fun with brewing.  Shamus

IMG_0851.JPG.342f8005a610c125baa2bda7355f14e1.JPG

Hi Alan.
If you're using the 1.7kg cans of Coopers brewing extracts, it's usually recommended to use 1 kg of fermentables eg. With a 1.7kg Dark Ale you should add a 1kg box of Brew Enhancer 3.
Explore this website further and it will give you heaps of helpful information. Watch the tutorial videos, check the FAQs and definitely ask what you might think is a stupid question on the forums. Many of the folks here have excellent knowledge on brewing (not me) and are very generous answering questions and giving advice.

The sugar composition of Coopers Brewing Sugars are:

Light Dry Malt - 100% light dry malt

Dextrose - 100% dextrose

Brewing Sugar - 80% dextrose, 20% maltodextrin

Brew Enhancer 1 - 60% dextrose, 40% maltodextrin

Brew Enhancer 2 - 50% dextrose, 25% maltodextrin, 25% light dry malt

Brew Enhancer 3 - 50% light dry malt, 30% dextrose, 20% maltodextrin

Welcome Alan to the land of brewing.

As above, go with the Coopers 1 kg BE range to start with. In the future you can start mixing your own ingredients to move closer to your own tastes.

Should keep you amused and drinking great beer for a decade or more.

Cheers

OK then.

Thanks for the quick replies and advice

Being an aussie who enjoys the occasional shandy on a warm afternoon LOL id better get to some reading.

and it'd better be more than a decade or so yeastboy

Thanks Again to all

Cheers Al.

Archived