Coopers Community

IPA stove top small batch

karlos_1984

Hi guys,

I'm looking for any ideas to brew up an IPA using just my 7 ltr big W pot.

I've only ever done kits n bits with the occasional steeped grains and hop boils.

I don't mind if it's a smaller batch given the size of my pot.

I just watched this on YouTube as a bit of inspiration:

Does anyone have a suitable recipe or something they could recommend?

If need be I'm happy to experiment with unhopped extract, or a suitably scaled down BIAB option to fit my smaller pot.

Any ideas would be great. Thanks.

With a 7l pot it will be hard to get the most out of your hops especially to an IPA level beer. I would suggest a 5l boil but you will probably get a boil over.

If you use non bittered extract it will make it even harder due to the amount of hops needed to bring it to IPA levels.

You probably want to start with a kit that is already bittered and then add the aroma and flavour hops to a small boil of 4l, for you 7l pot. You might run in to an issue of hop ultilization but you will get something out of the hops that will still  make it a good beer. You need a bigger pot for boils and the bigger the boil the better hop ultilization, I do 10l boils for extract batches.

I am not saying you wont make a good beer but your pot size is limiting your abilities to get the most out of the hops and unbittered extract to make an IPA level beer.

I have made an IPA with a 5l boil and the European lager kit, really any high IBU kit would work, and I loaded up the boil with a 5min addition of 20g of citra, centennial and Amarillo and then a 15 min steep with 35g of citra and centennial a d 30g of Amarillo and then 50g of each hop dry hopped. It was a tasty beer with high bitterness, for me at least, and huge aroma and flavour.

Good luck

Norris

Hi Karlos.

All my boils are done with an 8 litre pot on the stove-top. & I've been brewing this way for quite some time now. An IPA is no problem at all, but understand that the higher the ABV you're aiming for the higher the malt concentration is in the boil, & the lower the utilisation of hop alpha acids is that is possible. Norris is basically saying as much with what he has mentioned, but don't be fearful in any way, just be aware of what happens at lower volumes.

For a good IPA bitterness you need to have a boil addition to create a good whack of bitterness so make sure you create 66-75% of your IBU in this lower boil volume with your 60-90min addition. Then add the rest of your additions during the boil to hit the desired IBU mark. If you wish to make the IPA highly aromatic, then use a separate pot for a hop tea/hop steep so as to not lose too much of your boil wort to hop absorption.

Easy. ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

5 minutes ago, karlos_1984 said:

I might have to buy a bigger pot. I've done a few 20, 10 and 5 minute boils, with flame out additions etc, but never really got the result I've been after.

If you're looking for real bitterness from those additions, you won't achieve that. IBU is one thing, perceived bitterness at the glass if most often another.

Cheers,

Lusty.

If you want a decent sized pot for extract brewing then this one from Big W does the job and is relatively inexpensive.

https://www.bigw.com.au/product/smart-value-19-litre-stock-pot/p/3083819/

You can even get a smaller one too for small grain and hop steeps etc.

https://www.bigw.com.au/product/smart-value-7-6-litre-stock-pot/p/3083789/

10 minutes ago, Hairy said:

If you want a decent sized pot for extract brewing then this one from Big W does the job and is relatively inexpensive.

https://www.bigw.com.au/product/smart-value-19-litre-stock-pot/p/3083819/

You can even get a smaller one too for small grain and hop steeps etc.

https://www.bigw.com.au/product/smart-value-7-6-litre-stock-pot/p/3083789/

Just realised you mentioned that you already have the 7 litre pot. The 20 litre one works well on my gas stove.

1 hour ago, Hairy said:

Just realised you mentioned that you already have the 7 litre pot. The 20 litre one works well on my gas stove.

Yeah that's the one I've got, you beat me to it. I was going to get that 19 litre one initially but at the time they didn't have any lids and the pots in stock had been dropped and we're pretty knocked around.

My thoughts were to get a bigger one that I can do a full batch in without having to top it up with water in the FV, which could be used down the track when I move into all grain BIAB.

Archived