Coopers Community

Galaxy based APA

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Norris! said:

The Moutere sounds pretty good, like magnum but with flavour.

This actually started with me wanting to do RepSpecs Coopers Session ale (Galaxy & Melba) a while back but the HBS don't have Melba, they suggested Moutere as a sub.

Then I found the Galaxy in the freezer & thought I know just what that will go with & ive been wanting to do a full extract with ULME so set about (trying to) make a recipe, the citra just sound right by description!

Hopefully will get the bits & brew it in a couple of weeks, got to secondary ferment my Saison for 2 weeks from this weekend first, need another brew fridge,,,,

6 minutes ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

what do you mean by this. 

Sorry prob wrong term,

Bottling at the weekend, they need a couple of weeks at 18'C to carbonate, its a high of about 5'C in my garage at the moment, not really got anywhere in the house to site 25odd bottles so I use my brew fridge to bottle condition my beers before they get stored in the garage "Beer cupboard" waiting to be enjoyed.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally the HBS is back in stock of the ULME so orders in & its game on,

Unfortunately they didn't now have the Mouture so there subbing with Southern cross ;-

Characteristics:A high alpha hop with distinctive tropical, grapefruit and passion fruit characters.
Alpha Acid Range: 17.0-19.5%
Beta Acid Range: 8.0 - 10.0%

VS

Characteristics: A delicate balance of citrus and spice, including a heady mix of lemon peel and pine needles.
Alpha Acid Range: 11.0 - 14.0%
Beta Acid Range: 5.0 - 6.0%

ho hum.

After I sparged the grains I was up to a 7ltr boil, if you count volume before adding the malt extracts that is, otherwise is was a 8ltr.

Dropped the boil time to 30mins, schedule is;-

15g Southern cross 30mins.
25g Citra 8mins
25g Galaxy 8mins
25g Southern cross @ FO for 10mins.

Dry hop will be;

35g galaxy,
25g Citra
15g Southern cross

calc is giving;

5,27% ABV,
40.29IBU

Colour is golden to light golden.

Getting 1 error though on SRM(?) which should be 5-10;-

SRM Morey = 7.48 = ok
SRM Daniels = 10.5 = ERROR.
SRM Mosher = 7.85 = ok.

Mike that recipes sounds pretty good! You got to tell us how it goes. I have never used southern cross.

Pretty sure the error is saying you are slightly above the colour required for the beer type...I dont worry about that, I make my beers the way I like em.

Good job Mate

Norris

• 2 weeks later...

Looking like this is stalling at around 1016

OG was 1062 instead of the 1054 suggested.

Been a while sine Ive used Safale yeast but after a few wheat based brews it feels like the SLLOOOWWWEEESSSSTTTTT brew in the history of brewing,,,, been going since the 10th Aug!

Started at 18'C, up to 20'c after 4 days.

Going to DH tomorrow anyway as that always brings my SG down a notch.

Colours great, spot on the light gold of NEIPA's & tasting like its got the bones of a nice beer, will cold crash on sat & looking to bottle on fri next week.

Given the makeup of the brew it could well be finished. The crystal will push the FG up and add sweetness, and maybe the extract is lower in fermentability than other brands, no real way of knowing that other than making a batch with it alone and seeing how far it ferments. The hops are all medium to short boils which may not give the same firm bitterness as a long boiled addition.

2 hours ago, Mikes15 said:

SG again today at 1016, bit concerned at how sweet the beer is, do I need to consider pitching more yeast or should I just solider on & DH?

over 6% abv,  1.062 - 1.016 - nice work mikes15

Cheers fellas,

Hopefully the 75g DH is enough to bring it round, its not terrible or even close just a touch to sweet at present.

Defiantly going to chux bag the hops now so I can ring every last drop of bitterness out ?

On 8/23/2018 at 4:23 PM, Mikes15 said:

SG again today at 1016, bit concerned at how sweet the beer is,...

On 8/24/2018 at 4:51 AM, Mikes15 said:

Hopefully the 75g DH is enough to bring it round, its not terrible or even close just a touch to sweet at present.

Defiantly going to chux bag the hops now so I can ring every last drop of bitterness out.

The sweetness you are noticing is directly related to the SG of the beer. 1.016 is quite high on that scale given most common commercial lagers & draughts are around 1.008 (or lower) give or take a couple of points.

I've read the BS info out there related to dry hopping adding bitterness & for what I believe it is worth, it does not add one iota of bitterness related to actual IBU that can only be created by hops that are boiled. What dry hopping can do is add a grassiness/astringency that is often confused with bitterness if the hops have an inherit trait to throw this, or the dry hop was allowed to stay in contact with the beer for an elongated amount of time where the vegetal facet of the the hops adds the grassy tone.

Just my 2 cents.

Lusty.

9 hours ago, Beerlust said:

The sweetness you are noticing is directly related to the SG of the beer. 1.016 is quite high on that scale given most common commercial lagers & draughts are around 1.008 (or lower) give or take a couple of points.

I've read the BS info out there related to dry hopping adding bitterness & for what I believe it is worth, it does not add one iota of bitterness related to actual IBU that can only be created by hops that are boiled. What dry hopping can do is add a grassiness/astringency that is often confused with bitterness if the hops have an inherit trait to throw this, or the dry hop was allowed to stay in contact with the beer for an elongated amount of time where the vegetal facet of the the hops adds the grassy tone.

Just my 2 cents.

Lusty.

I assume adding small amounts of hop tea post ferment or even when bulk priming isn't an option?

9 hours ago, Mikes15 said:

I assume adding small amounts of hop tea post ferment or even when bulk priming isn't an option?

If it bothers you that much & if it were me, I'd do a small calculated boil with malt & hops to add the bitterness you believe it needs. Then use this wort as part or all of your bulk prime. ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

14 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

If it bothers you that much & if it were me, I'd do a small calculated boil with malt & hops to add the bitterness you believe it needs. Then use this wort as part or all of your bulk prime. ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

Thanks,

It does bother me a lot TBH, now its chilled its tasting too much like funky fruit juice!

In terms of how much bitterness it needs I wouldn't know but Id say it could take a good hit,,,, IBU's where supposed to be 40.29, style could go up to 50 so if I do a 1ltr boil of 140g LDME (100% of bulk prime amount) with 5g of Citra & 5g Southern cross (im out of galaxy) that should add another 7.17

Without being able to taste it, does that sound reasonable or suitable?

16 minutes ago, porschemad911 said:

Sounds fine, they're nice hops and should just boost your bitterness a bit plus more hoppy goodness.

Edit: you're only boiling for 5 mins or so right? 

Cheers, 

John 

Looks like I would need about 10mins for both hops to get a decent wack of bitterness of a bit over 5IBUS , 5mins only gives 2.9IBUS

Thanks John.

Sorry Mike, I didn't chime in because I was unsure of the calculations, did you just work it by hand or adjust the settings on the software?

At the end I felt that after carbonation it would bring out the bitterness more and with some aging, like 3 to 4 weeks it would meld together nicely.  So I didn't want to say anything that you already knew.

Let us know how it comes out.

Norris

It should be noted that carbonation itself offsets sweetness. I don't know if it brings out the bitterness more but it does effectively reduce the sweetness. The difference in taste between fizzy and flat Coke is a good example of this, and is the reason why Coke is so highly carbonated.

I've had batches in the past taste a bit sweet when they were either uncarbed or only partially carbed. Once fully carbed they were perfect. I wouldn't judge the final product on a flat sample. 

Archived