Coopers Community

First AG on Robobrew

James Lao

I doubt you'll get it much shorter than that unless you start cutting corners. Not usually the best idea in my experience. There are good reasons why parts of the process are done for certain periods of time, reducing these timeframes may result in a lesser quality product. 

One exception is brewing milds. These are usually mashed for half an hour at around 70 degrees, but that type of mash doesn't really suit any other styles.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely wouldn't cut corners just assumed you would pick up how to do things quicker or have such and such ready to go in the future which all
Saves time in the long run, but either way i'm happy with 4.5 hours ?

Cheers,
Hoppy

Checking my brew notes and I started the mash at 9.15am and was finished the boil at 12.15pm.

Thats a 75min mash and 75min boil.

Left the wort for 30mins while having lunch then started the IC going 12.45pm

Pitching temps at around 1.15pm.

So if I counted it from start of mash to getting in the FV it is probably 4-4.5 hours

I am a bit OCD  when it comes to cleaning and having things were they are ‘supposed’  to be so that is where I am losing time probably, but it suits me OK for now

Cheers

James

2 hours ago, Hoppy81 said:

Definitely wouldn't cut corners just assumed you would pick up how to do things quicker or have such and such ready to go in the future which all
Saves time in the long run, but either way i'm happy with 4.5 hours ?

Cheers,
Hoppy

You do refine things with more batches for sure, but it doesn't shave a lot of time off because you still have to mash, boil etc for the same amount of time. It does save time at the end not having to clean stuff up though if you've done what can be done during the brewing. 

I usually just plod along without any worry about how long it takes, but I'm doing things like letting the grain bag drain for half an hour or something, if I use FWH I steep the hops for 20 minutes before bringing the wort to boil. Things like that lengthen the brew day but I'm not in a rush. 

Archived