30g Vic Secret Cube @ 80°C

20g Rakau Cube @ 80°C

30g Topaz Cube @ 80°C

70g Vic Secret Dry

60g Rakau Dry

18 litres

OG Approx 1.064

IBU Approx 62

Now i was thinking of using WLP008 and possibly turning it into an NEIPA or i could just use WLP001. Im only getting around 20 IBUs from my 60 min addition. Is that enough 60 min bitterness or should i try and go more? Or should i maybe go less and turn it into an NEIPA? Also has anyone used these flavour/aroma hops before? I have never used them, only read about the characteristics online.

Cheers everyone

Hi Rowbrew.

...Im only getting around 20 IBUs from my 60 min addition. Is that enough 60 min bitterness or should i try and go more? Or should i maybe go less and turn it into an NEIPA?

This depends on what sort of beer you want in the end.

I'm a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to IPA's so like a firm' date=' notable bitterness in those I make. I aim to produce 2/3 - 3/4 of my IBU count from the 60min+ addition. Unlike the NEIPA's that derive the bulk of their IBU count from late boil & whirlpool additions. I find those types of IPA's can come across to be more like an overgrown Pale Ale than what I call a traditional IPA.

Your current hop schedule looks more like the NEIPA type to me. [img']wink[/img]

Good luck with the brew.

Lusty.

Cheers Lusty.

So i think ill add some quick oats, play around with the water chemisty a little and turn it into an NEIPA. I was going to make one in the future with a different recipe, but i want to use this vial of WLP008 i have sitting in my fridge soon

So i have the final recipe that will be brewed on ANZAC day.

ANZAC NEIPA

28 litres Melbourne

Mash in 20L, dunk sparge in 8L

3g Gypsum

10g CaCi

4.3kg American Ale Malt

1kg Munich

750g Quick Oats

250g Light Crystal

100g Acid Malt

8g Warrior @ 60

20g Rakau @ 10

20g Topaz @ 10

30g Vic Secret Cube @ 80°C

20g Rakau Cube @ 80°C

30g Topaz Cube @ 80°C

70g Vic Secret Dry

60g Rakau Dry

60 min mash at 65°C

WLP008 East Coast Ale yeast at 18°C for 4 days then raised to 20°C

Dry hop high krausen with 30g Rakau and 35g Vic Secret

Dry hop day 5 with 30g Rakau and 35g Vic Secret

18 litres

OG 1.075

IBU 60 (approx)

The vial of WLP008 i had was a little old so i made the first stage of a 2 stage starter last night at a volume of 1 litre and its fermenting away nicely. The second stage will be 1.5 litres in volume and ill make that one in a couple of days.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Bottled this up tonight. Ended up with only 39 stubbies from a 16 litre batch. I did take a few hydro readings, but i think i lost alot to hop absorbtion. It finished at 1.017 so about 7% ABV in the bottle and 73 IBU. This thing is the best smelling beer i have made so far! I just hope it doesn't end up being too bitter

Cheers!

Cheers Captain!

I actually just put one in the fridge for tomorrow night, but lets be honest i might try it tonight! Its only been 5 days in the bottle so i hope its carbed by now. I'll soon see

I just made my first NEIPA and will be bottling it soon. I am very curious how it will turn out, although I have nothing to compare it to, as I haven't come across any commercial examples in my area (I live quite rural).  Lusty is right that NEIPAs are a lot less bitter than West Coast IPAs and are more along the lines of an APA. Some experts are proposing that the style get a name change, to reflect this. 

In doing my recipe research it seems the hop combination used is very important, to get those juicy flavours, with a combination of Citra, Amarillo, and Mosaic being the most common, so that is what I went with. Citra is very tropical, and I am not sure it has a substitute....Mosaic is high in a hop oil called 4MMP, which creates synergy with geraniol and linalool (other hop oils). 

Lots of Southern hop varieties in your brew.  Can't get any of them where I live so have no idea how similar or different they are to Citra, Amarillo, and Mosaic.

You may find this article interesting:

https://beerandbrewing.com/hops-oils--aroma-uncharted-waters/

Cheers,

Christina.

Wow. This beer is something else. The harsh bitterness i was getting in the hydro samples has totally gone. It is more bitter than the commercial ones but not by very much. The aroma is sweet fruit mixed with fresh hop pellets. Mouthfeel is silky smooth, from the oats im guessing and the taste is fruity/hoppy. Im pretty happy with how this came out actually

15265208919248914238017574766833.jpg

Archived