Coopers Community

Does Coopers use all Australian Ingredients?

Beers Gone Wild

Just been reading the news about "Bob Hawkes Beer", brewed with all Australian Ingredients.

I have never heard of these Aussie Hops either, where do I get em? ANyone tried them?

Does Coopers use all Aussie Ingredients?

Hawkes Beer Info:

Hawke’s Lager is brewed with Aussie hops, Helga, Ella & Topaz. It has an IBU rating of 18 and an ABV of 4.5%.Brewer’s tasting notes:

“Brewed with all-Australian ingredients, Hawke’s Lager has a subtle citrus aroma, light bitterness and a gentle, dry finish.”

Hawkes Beer Info

I have used all those hops and they are good.

Coopers odes use Australian ingredients for the majority of their beers IMO.

Unsure if there is an Aussie lager strain though so don't know if what Hake's are sayong id true,

I have used Ella and heard of the other two, so yes, in this case it is all Australian.

In the case of Coopers Mild they use NZ Nelson Sauvin to excellent effect, so they do use imported hops where appropriate.

I wouldn't drink a "Bob Hawke" beer though, would probably steal my money and leave me unemployed.

I was hoping the beer was legit. I want to source those hops and try them, I try to prefer buy Australian when possible.

I guess you can never trust a Politician, earn big $ and perks, get nothing done, and then get good money for doing nothing when they retire, great system.

I have used all those hops and they are good.

Coopers odes use Australian ingredients for the majority of their beers IMO.

Unsure if there is an Aussie lager strain though so don't know if what Hake's are sayong id true' date='[/quote']

How long does a company have to use a yeast until it is considered Australian. Cascade brew predominantly with a Lager strain, according to PB2 that was all they had when he visited. I don't know the process of big breweries. Some of the strains that Wyeast and others sell have been modelled on what breweries use and therefore I would have thought that people like Coopers, Casacde and the like would have their own strain.

Hops in Australia emigrated from Europe, the Aussie varieties have been propagated from the European mothers, and therefore I imagined that yeast in Australia would be the same.

I am curious, not about Hawkes beer (its a Lager) but about Aussie Yeast.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Interesting question Scottie. I think Coopers has used their commercial yeast long enough for it to be considered theirs, and Australian, even though it originally came from the UK, and was a multi strain. I believe they have whittled it down to a single strain nowadays. They probably still have the other components one ice. Might be interesting for them to take them out of storage, recombine them, and put out a special anniversary brew.

I have not heard of any other Australian ale or lager strains.

There is a so called Canadian strain, from the Quebec based Unibroue brewery, but it is actually Belgian.

Cheers,

Christina.

Just been reading the news about "Bob Hawkes Beer"' date=' brewed with all Australian Ingredients.

I have never heard of these Aussie Hops either, where do I get em? ANyone tried them?

Does Coopers use all Aussie Ingredients?

[b']Hawkes Beer Info:[/b]

Aussie hops, Helga, Ella & Topaz.

You can purchase all of those hops at BeerCo.

I've used Ella before which is great and I really want to try some Topaz.

Regarding Aussie ingredients - Coopers use Centennial (US) & Nelson Sauvin (NZ) in their Celebration Ale but for the most part I think they use Aussie Ingredients.

A lot of the Wyeast strains aren't just modelled on brewery strains, they ARE the brewery strains themselves. I'm currently using the Anchor Liberty ale yeast for APAs, Timothy Taylors yeast for ESBs and red ales, and from the next pilsner batch, the Budvar lager yeast for them.

It's a brew day today so I better get moving on brewing it too!

There is an interesting piece about by a guy who I think is a microbiologist (maybe he should be a microhorticulturist?) Lots of interesting, if a little technical stuff on yeast propagation. What is interesting is his description of how individual strains of yeast are isolated and propagated commercially. This suggests that local breweries more than likely have propagated local "wild yeast" strains, or even if they took them from imported yeasts, they are unlikely to be the dominant strain used by the original brewery, and even if they originally were, they are now derived from a mutation of same...

I can dig up the reference and post it if anyone else gets that technical about such things. I don't care enough about being right otherwise.

There is an interesting piece about by a guy who I think is a microbiologist (maybe he should be a microhorticulturist?) Lots of interesting' date=' if a little technical stuff on yeast propagation. What is interesting is his description of how individual strains of yeast are isolated and propagated commercially. This suggests that local breweries more than likely have propagated local "wild yeast" strains, or even if they took them from imported yeasts, they are unlikely to be the dominant strain used by the original brewery, and even if they originally were, they are now derived from a mutation of same...

I can dig up the reference and post it if anyone else gets that technical about such things. I don't care enough about being right otherwise.[/quote']

Please post your reference Quokka. It sounds interesting. I find these things fascinating.

I suspect that in the case of lager yeast they are still the strain(s) imported from Europe, adapted to local conditions, rather than wild yeast. Lager yeast are hybrids, and so far it looks like this type of hybridization event has only happened twice.

Regarding ale yeast, I suspect they are mostly still the imported European strains, but there is more room for truly local strains to come into popular use because they are not hybrids. While most wild yeast are POF+ (phenol off flavour), there are wild yeast that are only slightly positive (like wheat and Belgian yeast), and some that are actually negative, like the majority of ale strains. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/j.2050-0416.1996.tb00918.x/pdf).

The vast majority of beer sold is not phenolic.

Cheers,

Christina.

Archived