Coopers Community

Force Carbonating Question

THIRSTY MATT

If you are going to force carb a keg as jarrod suggested then I would be ensuring you have a NRV connected to your lines or you may end up with beer through your reg.

With regards to finings, I have never used them but if I want to clear my beer I would personally be using Gelatine. But I am happy with my results so far so will continue not using anything [cool]

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes as Bill said you definitely need a NRV I have had beer travel half way up the gas line [pouty] , but was told my reg has a NRV so all good.

Bill how does gelatine work I haven't heard of this before, how much do you need?

• 3 years later...

Hi guys.

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I have to admit I'm still not happy with my ability to force carbonate my beer in a relatively short period of time.

I've been following the method described in the following link, that I now believe to be flawed. I use the inverted method due to my keg fittings not being interchangeable.

Keg King: Force Carbonating Your Beer

This method leaves my beer still relatively flat, & doesn't fully carb up to a decent level under the serving pressure (that is after going through the 300kPa procedure outlined), for about 4-5 days past that point. annoyed

Time to try another method.

If I were to force carbonate' date=' I would purge the keg first then fill it with beer, seal it, hit it with about 100kPa of head pressure, burp it, then chill it for a couple of days then force carbonate with 300kPa for 24hrs then remove the gas, burp it again and hook it up to 100kPa for serving.[/quote']

Is anyone familiar with this technique? unsure

It certainly seems more logical given my experiences with the Keg King technique. Do I need to invert my keg if following this procedure, or is standing it upright ok? unsure

I'm thinking about trying Paul's technique next time, & I could really use some help on this one.

Cheers,

Anthony.

Hi Anthony,

The method I use with 100% success is to keg, purge, and the crank up the reg to 300 kpa for 24 hrs - Make sure to chill the beer first if it isn't already. I then reduce it to pouring pressure. It is drinkable if need be at that stage but better after a few days.

Hi guys.

I just wanted to report back on my experiences using this technique.

The time frame under this pressure greatly improved the ability to have the beer carbonated to a better level earlier. happy

One final question...

Is there an improved benefit by being able to switch the "beer out" dip tube onto the "gas in" connector & force carbonate the beer this way? (i.e having the C02 coming up through the beer) unsure

I've heard & read about guys that recommend doing this. Is there any merit to it? unsure

Cheers,

Anthony.

Is there an improved benefit by being able to switch the "beer out" dip tube onto the "gas in" connector & force carbonate the beer this way? (i.e having the C02 coming up through the beer) unsure

I've heard & read about guys that recommend doing this. Is there any merit to it? unsure

Cheers' date='

Anthony.[/quote']

Hey Anthony

I doubt it. Pressure, temperature and time (or continual agitation by shaking) are the key. Then again I am a set and forget artificial carber, I carb up at the same pressure that I pour at, with 6 degrees and two weeks.

Mind you if I don't get to brewing soon I may need to give Muddy's method a go.

Cheers

Scottie

Cheers' date='

Anthony.[/quote']

Hey Anthony

I doubt it. Pressure, temperature and time (or continual agitation by shaking) are the key. Then again I am a set and forget artificial carber, I carb up at the same pressure that I pour at, with 6 degrees and two weeks.

No argument there Scottie. When time isn't an issue, I'm quite happy to follow the method you outline. However when time is an issue, force carbing, not regular artificial carbing, some alterations to common C02 carbing practices are required to get the beer to a suitable drinking level in a quicker time frame.

Thanks for the link to the Gashmeister's carbing practices my Tahitian brewing buddy, I'll certainly give them a look as a point for a different approach. I will admit though, happy with PB2's/Muddy's method for fast C02 keg carbing after actually doing it. If the Slugg has a better approach I'll definitely give it its due diligence & give it a go. wink

Cheers,

Anthony.

Hi antiphile. (sorry for the boring intro!)

I just watched the Gashmeisters video supplied in your link. I've seen this technique displayed before. Because it was done in real time, you can't deny what you see as an end result of the first pour.

I admit I do have some slightly uneducated reservations about what each pour might be like past the first one (using that method) if you wanted to drink through the keg with a few mates on the same day. Admittedly, no facts though as I haven't tested that technique myself.

My reservations only revolve around what I have done so far, & the ability I have observed for the beer to absorb C02 at a certain rate vs time ratio.

That said, I do consider myself a 'noobie' at C02 carbing, so am willing to try any method to achieve suitable carbonation in the time frames I sometimes need to work in.

Thanks for the link. smile

Anthony.

Archived