Coopers Community

Force Carbonating Question

THIRSTY MATT

Hello boys n girls!

Paul, i know you dont really force carb ya kegs but if ya can help please do!

also Luke or anyone else who is WELL KEGGED!

i kegged a batch.

i purged the head space as i was force carbonating due too cool temps in sydney now.

i put keg straight in fridge for like a week to condition up.

just before i blasted the keg(gassed it) i pulled the pin AND NO GAS CAME OUT?

DOES THIS MEAN THE KEG IS LEAKING OR THE BEER ABSORBED THE GAS DUE TO BEING IN THE FRIDGE??????????

there should have been a lil in the head space!??

cheers

matt

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Matt!

More info buddy! Did you have the gas turned on during the week?

Sorry if it sounds like a stupid question....

You've got to keep the gas on at pouring pressure for up to 10 days to force carb the lazy way!

thanks luke,

i actually hadnt "gassed" it yet!

(ive nailed gassing it in one night now, im OK there!)

i filled it, purged the head space, put it in the fridge....... then five days later, " when i went to gas it", the little bit of gas in the head space had either "leaked" or "been absorbed in to beer" ??

IS IT POSSIBLE THE LITTLE BIT IN THE HEAD SPACE GOT ABSORBED INTO THE BEER BECAUSE THE KEG WAS IN THE FRIDGE?

cheers

matt

Yes.

If I were to force carbonate, I would purge the keg first then fill it with beer, seal it, hit it with about 100kPa of head pressure, burp it, then chill it for a couple of days then force carbonate with 300kPa for 24hrs then remove the gas, burp it again and hook it up to 100kPa for serving.

Can you guys go into some more detail?

Like really really basic detail?

I have a keg, a regulator, my tap/gun thing is coming this week and I wanna try force carbonating by the weekend but I'm really not sure what you guys are talking about with burping and stuff.

At the moment my keg is empty under pressure (pulling the ring thing makes a noise). How do I go about starting from the start?

My guess was:

*Pull the ring thing until there's no more noise (and thus no more pressure)

* Open it up and clean it out with my usual sanitiser mix

* use some keg cleaning mixture I bought yesterday to clean the lines/gun

* fill with beer (pretty sure I can manage this bit) from the bottom of the keg (use a hose) so as to not disturb it too much from the fermenter.

* Put keg in fridge, turn up pressure to 300kpa

* Wait two days

* drop pressure to 70kpa, drink.

Now a couple of questions -

a) do I have to releave the pressure at any point during this process? This thread makes me think I do.

b) Can I store my CO2 bottle in the fridge with my keg?

c) have I missed anything?

Thanks guys!

Many force carbonators purge the keg with CO2 prior to filling with beer. Once filled, it is sealed and then CO2 head pressure is put on again and the pressure relief valve operated to push out air, leaving CO2 in the headspace.

Then into the fridge for chilling. Once chilled, put 300kPa on it for 24hrs.

People put the gas bottle in the fridge. Just need to make sure it doesn't get below 4C as it may freeze up the diaphragm in the regulator.

Ok thanx,

but my question is :

THE LITTLE BIT OF GAS I LEFT IN THE HEAD SPACE AFTER PURGING, COULD IT HAVE BEEN ABSORBED BY THE BEER??

BECAUSE:

JUST BEFORE I WENT TOO GAS IT , "THE PURGEY BIT OF GAS" WASNT THERE NO MORE!!

did it get absorbed as the keg chilled or is the keg leaking?

lol

i hate typing ..... doesnt matter ill empty keg n see if it holds gas!!

cheers

matt

Hi Matt,

I reckon the gas got absorbed, or the gas leaked out!!!![biggrin]

Spray some soapy water on your posts and lid (you know the drill!)and rule out the leak, otherwise, it absorbed (which is my guess)

Many force carbonators purge the keg with CO2 prior to filling with beer. Once filled, it is sealed and then CO2 head pressure is put on again and the pressure relief valve operated to push out air, leaving CO2 in the headspace.

Then into the fridge for chilling. Once chilled, put 300kPa on it for 24hrs.

People put the gas bottle in the fridge. Just need to make sure it doesn't get below 4C as it may freeze up the diaphragm in the regulator.

Damn I must be really dumb. If you fill the keg with C02, wouldn't it all escape when you take the lid off to put the beer in? What's the point of purging the keg first? How do you add head pressure? Is that the lower 70KPA?

Forgive me, but I'm more confused after your answer than I was before I asked any questions.

Keep in mind I'm brand new to kegging and haven't even figured out how to get the lid off mine yet.

CO2, being heavier than air, falls to the bottom of the keg and pushes the air out - reducing the risk of oxidation and infection.

Once the keg is filled and sealed, put CO2 on again and operate the pressure relief valve for a bit to make sure there is only CO2 sitting atop the beer.

Thank you for the noncomformation luke!![pinched]

you just reminded me luke, i done the soapy water test on a keg a coupla weeks ago n it was ok , but when i gassed the empty keg it lost its gas over about 4 days? got anything on that one guys?

its obviously got a leak?

cheers

matt

I had a gas leak for ages that I just could find. I eventually realised that it was leaking internally from the regulator! [crying]

A one-way valve near the keg will ensure that any system leaks will not flatten the beer, and also that no beer accidentally goes up the line back into the regulator.

Hi All,

Having read the above would make this suggestion re pouring pressure. I have found it works great no matter how much or little carbonation you have added.

Once you are satisfied with your carbonation,

Turn your regulator off and relief all the pressure in the keg.

Wind out your regulator zero kpa, turn it back on.

Open your beertap/gun nothing will come out now slowly wind regulator on until you get a good pour.

I have found this works best as every setup is different and small amounts sometimes make a difference.

Good luck

Cheers

I have made a coopers wheat beer and kegged it.

Forced carbonation over 24 hrs at 230kpa.

Turned down to 60kpa for pouring.

Gas has been on it for few days now at 60 kpa.

It tastes a bit gassy!

Should i turn the gas off at the co2 bottle and let the keg hold its own gas till I'm ready to drink it or just leave the gas on pouring pressure the whole time?

Wheat Beer is often highly carbonated. Running CO2 head pressure at about 110kPa should present it nicely. For pouring, you might need to have a longer beer line (at least 3m of of 5mmID) or some other form of in-line restrictor.

However, if it's too fizzy for your taste, back the pressure off - you only need to please one person. [wink]

• 2 months later...

Hey guys, new to the site and brewing (into bottles and kegs)

When you talk about force carbonating are you gassing the beer on the beer out post then swap over to the pour post once forced carbonation has taken place, sorry if it sounds dumb but though i had better ask first before i stuff up a brew.

I am going to try natural carbonation with 75grams of dex on the next brew.

Geez you guys wait along time to drink your efforts...[biggrin]

I'm usually drinking mine 15mins after being kegged.

My procedure is:

1.Chill in fermenter (also allows yeast / hops to drop out)

2.Rack into keg

3.Attach gas line and purge keg

4.Crank reg up to 350kPa

5.Shake / rock keg for approx 60 secs

6.Turn off reg

7.Shake the keg and watch the reg needle drop fast. It will slow down at about 150kPa. If it drops quickly to lower than 150 then repeat from step 4 for another 10 seconds. For wheats etc make it drop to approx 160 - 170.

8. Leave sit for 10 - 15 mins (you are only doing this to avoid making a mess)

9. Release pressure from keg.

10. Adjust to pouring pressure.

11. Pour yourself a beer.....[biggrin]

Yeah thanks Mat,

I have a European Lager conditioning in the fridge that will be ready for kegging in the morning, so i will try your way of force carbonating, Cheers.

(The next keg I think i will give natural carbonation a go with white suger at 1/3 of a cup)

Lucky old me got a two keg set up for my birthday from the in-laws and have learnt heaps from this thread, thanks. There are a few things I am still unsure about though. I'll search for most of the answers here and on other forums, but one query is, for beers like the Euro lager, how does kegging alter conditioning requirements?

Thanks

Archived