Coopers Community

Going all grain. advice wanted

Corksniffer

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As long as your pot can cope with the amount needed pre-boil to achieve a batch size of 32 litres then you should be sweet yeah.

Given that the grains are all mixed together it's a bit hard to scale down by removing grain because you could remove about 1.5kg of grain but you don't really know how much of each grain you're removing.

Dang it, didn't dilute the wort quite enough. OG : 1.050, 27l in fv.. I can't seem to stay away from 1.050. Spose I 'could' boil a few litres water and add it in at bottling with the batch prime. I did that with the last IPA and I think it was great. Still about 1.060 but I didn't really notice a difference in taste. If anything, it was slightly more refreshing but there was also plenty of room to move

I really would have hit target but spilt the hydro tube as it was cooling twice as I was closing the door.. and last minute's reading I chickened out and didn't want to end up with watery beer. I shouldn't have done that so it's my own fault really

I've just watered a sample down to 1.042 and it tastes fine to me so maybe I will just adjust it at bottling

Taste tested the Helles too. It's been on at 12 degrees for 4-5 days now, OG bang on 1.052 and that tastes watery to me too .. probably just my perception changing because IPA is the new APA taste to me now I've been on them so often. I do get a hint of 'breadiness' like some have suggested from the Munich too. It'll probably come up nice. True to recipe and 90 odd percent pilsner malt so it should be tasty. This particular malt was 'Dingemans' hadn't heard of them before. It actually tastes alot like the pilsners I've been making but a little lighter in the malt dept and a lot lighter in hops. Wheat beer ibu at 18.. it came with 2x S23 yeast sachets

Still ordering the kits on Ebay from Country Trading Store. They've been really good and I recommend starting there to anyone new to AG. Really great bunch of people to deal with and reasonable prices

To be honest, I don't note much difference between the chill and non chill pilsner either. Not sure if there's any actually. Even though the chill was lagered at lower temperature, which is an interesting find. Both yum as Fk either way

Question: What type of base malts are worth keeping for pales and pilsners? I've just been back through your list but am a little unsure what these all mean for the time being. I think I get the bohemian pilsner malt part for pilsners, am I looking for just a standard pale base malt such as Barrett Burston or Weyermann pale ale malt? Maybe do a single malt APA for a while? I remember reading in 'How to Brew' saying that it's usually best to keep it simple in regard to malts. I'm wondering how such small amounts of specialty malts could make such a difference too. Like, a couple hundred gms so think I'll just start doing base malt brews and see if I feel like experimenting later on

Oh! And, any suggestions on which mill to buy?

I keep Bo Pils malt for all lagers, although pretty well all my lagers are Bo Pils anyway lol. This one is Weyermann. For ales I have Fawcett's floor malted Maris Otter which is really nice. I usually use about 300g medium crystal in my pale ales; I have done one with just 100% MO before, but it just lacked a little malt sweetness that is usually present in that style. I don't use any specialty grains in lagers though.

For a mill I would recommend the Mashmaster Minimill, it is the only one I've ever used though so nothing to compare it to personally and they do cost a bit more than some other mills, but the build quality and performance are bloody excellent, as is the customer service from Frank. I've had mine since I started AG and aside from replacing one of the rollers in late 2015 (there was a batch of them where the knurled rollers wore too quickly and wouldn't pull the grains through) I haven't had any problems with it at all. Now they're all made with fluted rollers, which is also what my replacement roller is, and they kick arse. The replacement roller was sent out free of charge, and also more recently I posted in AHB about losing the original gear guard for it and he sent me out another one for free as well. biggrin

Cheers

Kelsey

Well, I've gotta say: this latest session IPA smells and tastes killer from fv! It's really well balanced so far. I note a really big krausen that's still there even now just a few points off fg.. I've always heard about this happening to others but it's a first for me. Only thing I've done differently is the different mineral additions with more chloride and less sulphate. Thinking this might be matching my water profile (whatever that is in Darwin anyway) looking forward to this drop! I go away this afternoon for a week and was hoping to bottle beforehand but I think I'm cutting it too close. Not sure if it's cold crashable now either hovering at 1.012 yesterday to 1.010 today meaning it's technically finished but I'm sure there's some cleaning up to do so I'm on a cusp but have to make a decision, which might be to leave it fridged at 14 or so for the week so the yeast can slowly finish up. US-05 is good until 12 degrees as stated on the pack

I'm not real impressed with my last American Pale ale. It used 300g crystal and the rest briess pale base. Small amount of Amarillo, Cascade for bittering and a little cascade dry hop. It's probably the least inspiring ag brew I've done so far. Not 'bad' but just not great and not what I normally get from an APA. Should be though because it's a pretty standard recipe. The aroma is slightly 'oaty' is the way I'd describe it. Slightly 'grassy' maybe too and not real fresh or distinct. Only a week in the bottle but the rest of my brews are always fine at that point and change very little from there. Shame because I bought one more in anticipation of a great quaffer! I think maybe I'm just used to crazy flavour hopped beers for that style now though and I'll just add some extra spice to the next one and be happy with it again. Will definitely try the same mineral additions as the session too

The Helles is at terminal gravity. 1.014! My highest ag fg yet. Tastes nice actually, and smells an awful lot like Heinekin I must say... Martin was right. It's murky as a rancid swamp so that needs a crash too. I'll admit that I haven't crashed anything yet, always too eager to get it bottled so these should be alot clearer or at least less sediment

So I've still got another APA and one American Lager that Country Trading Store suprise sent free with a hand written note for being a loyal customer. . What a great suprise, how nice of them is that?! Blown away with their service. This one incorporates flaked corn for lighter body along with 2-row base malt, 2x Saflager 11g sachets and noble bittering hops so looking forward to that

The water for hoppy styles like APAs etc. is better with more sulphate and less chloride. Sulphates accentuate the hops and bring them to the fore; chloride does the same with the maltiness.

My normal tap water contains more chloride than sulphate (about 65ppm to 20 odd ppm), and I have noticed the hoppy beers have improved a lot since I began dosing the water with sulphate to bring its level up to about 200-220ppm.

Yep, got a hangover again. I took a photo of this Bali Hai, interesting recipe and I must say, half enjoyed it until about half way where the swill just became too much to handle. This and Bintang pilsener are both what I'd call 'hollow' beers where the body has been stripped out by filtering. Nice quaffers though in the heat. I note that carbonation is high a d the head easily grows out the neck of the bottle if shaken. Had a Heinekin last nite too and it tasted identical to Bintang. Looked on the back of the bottle and hey whaddya know, made in Indonesia. . Tasted nothing like real Heinekin

<a href=20170225_170310.jpg' alt='20170225_17031

Hey that looks like a cool country crab cooker cork sniffer. Same as what I use.

You are on an all-grain roll. It's like you've opened a great big can of all grain whoopassss.

I agree, some of these beers we are making are like a time machine, taking us back to what beer used to taste like before we were born, before the conglomerates FFed beer up completely.

Yup ....you're hooked now ...next thing you'll be looking for local clubs and thinking about brewing while you're working , maybe decide to start reading the BJCP guidelines for fun and think about becoming a certified judge .

i recently moved house and rejected very nice houses since i didn't have room to brew , i'm now in a smaller house with a dedicated brewing shed / man cave and working hard to fill it

Well I can now finally (and definitely) say that indeed it's true, my first all grain pilsener got even better with time.. I was wondering why none of my beers were crystal clear like some of the kits I did but turns out they just need time. This one had been 'lagered' and forgotten about at the bottom of the fridge until today and it's absolutely crystal clear and tasting fine! If anything it's a tadd too bitter for my perfect lager but if I tone that down a tadd it would be an absolute winner; to be honest though I'd probably miss the bite if adjusted. 100%. Still a fantastic beer. It's fresh, crisp and 'bitey'. Aroma is diviiiine and great colour. For some reason cameras always make things look a shade darker but you get the idea. It kinda reminds me of a 'Becks'. Not the monstrosity you buy here but back when they were imported. So nice and clean. Almost makes me want to stop making pales and focus more just on lager!

looking forward to aging out more beers soon! Have just bottled two batches so must schedule a couple brew days soon. Totally hyped, still surpassing expectations!

Congrats on the new place too Marko! I'm glad you were able to keep the hobby mate, excellent news

<a href=20170307_154239.jpg' alt='20170307_15423

• 3 months later...

UPDATE: Well I'm sorry it's been so long but I've been preoccupied making some absolutely top-notch beers and just enjoying 'living life' in general. Just bought a ctn of Pirate Life pale (which is $90 bloody bucks a ctn by the way..) it tastes identical to my pale ales. I've gotten so used to them that they just taste like 'home brew' Though, until I bought these, I had no real idea they were so awesome, so, win!! And Wow, man. Very impressive

You may well laugh, but I've actually got a ctn of James Squire 'Hop thief' in the fridge because I thought they tasted great after drinking my premium beer for so long without any commercial comparison. Whearas before, I simply could not comprehend the quality of the Pirate Life beers in the advent calendar I spoke of at the beginning of this thread, they were just streets ahead of anything like a Fat Yak, or Hop Thief. After a Pirate Life, the Squire is reminiscent of a VB with a good dose of dry hop

So, now I make the best pale-ale you can make, and enjoy taking a break from it and having a Hop Thief instead.. (laughs) the grass is just always greener isn't it

Anyhow. Hopefully someone takes something away from this thread in it's entirety, because it's the information I personally wished was available when first picking up that first Coopers kit, nearly 2-years ago and being excited as anything

Happy brewing to you I say

Jez

Welcome back mate, wondered where you'd gone! Great to hear that you are enjoying your brewing and beers so much now too, I remember when you were having issues creating something nice and it's good to see those days are behind you.

I must say I'm not a fan of the latest Hop Thief, the previous one was a lot better. The PL pale ale didn't really grab me either when I tried it on tap earlier this year, it was a nice beer but the bitterness seemed to dominate over the hop flavor and aroma too much for mine. I'd definitely drink it over megaswill, but there are better pale ales out there IMO, including some I've brewed myself tongue.

I did buy a carton of the Little Creatures Fire Falcon a couple of weeks ago though and that one I am a fan of. It's a red ale brewed with Falconers Flight hops, and similar to my own red ale, but hoppier. I like mine the way it is but this beer was just as nice. I'll have to get some Falconers Flight hops to try out for myself too.

Archived