Coopers Community

Wyeast 1469 vs 1187 vs 1318 vs 1084

ChristinaS1

Now that I have discovered the Shaken Not Stirred starter method I am thinking of giving liquid yeast a try. I like malty, ester-y ales, English Ales. I am trying to decide between these four. Please weigh in with your favourites, and why you like it. Compare and contrast with others on the list if you can.

1469 West Yorkshire

1187 Ringwood

1318 London Ale III

1084 Irish Ale

Thanks.

Cheers!

Christina.

I've only used the 1318 from that list. It is the yeast I use for my Mosaic Amber Ale recipe. Otto is correct in that it finishes a little on the sweet side, but in an amber ale this is typically a wanted thing. I find the strain very hop & malt friendly. American Amber Ales & English bitters often have similar malt bills.

Deciding on whether you want a dry or slightly sweet finish to the beer will help narrow down which strain to perhaps try first up. wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

Christina -

I have limited AG brewing experience but have used 1187 on 2 brews and 1469 on 4 brews now. My description of 1187 would be similar to what Kelsey and Lusty described with 1318. I'm not really experienced with describing and identifying different tastes but 1187 threw something that I wasn't completely satisfied with. Not sure if it was esters or diacetyl. It did fade a fair bit in the bottle progressively after a couple of months. I read somewhere to give 1187 a decent diacetyl rest which I did (total time in FV was 4 weeks) .

I found 1469 to do again as Kelsey has described. That is, a dryer tasting ale and still allowing the malt to shine through beautifully. For me 1469 will be my go to for all ESBs from now on. I love what 1469 brings to an English Pale Ale. Just my opinion of course and would recommend you trying them all as everyone's likes and dislikes are different. Both 1187 and 1469 I fermented at 19ºC in the primary phase. You may well like what 1187 brings to an ale but for me its 1469 all the way.

Our local brewpub just released a delicious session ECIPA (called Little Britain) which used 1318 and Amarillo/Simcoe as the main hops. The 1318 was chosen to make the most of the sweetness coming from the grain bill, which was based on Vienna, with flaked oats, Gladiator, Munich II, wheat, light crystal and Victory. An absolutely delicious brew, especially when poured from the hand pump.

So far ive only tried Two English liquid Yeasts...They were the Dry English WLP007 and the English WLP002 and Ive made large starters and even reused the slurrys...

Havnt used a ENGLISH WYEAST Yet!

I must say the WLP002 has produced lovely tasting finished beers,

Because I cube several worts from the one batch Ive been able to compare different yeasts including lager yeasts to the same identical batch of wort from different cubes!

On Saturday I dropped a 1051 OG wort strait on top of WLP002 slurry and left it alone @ 12-14 degrees... it self rised to 16degrees the next day at room temp truly alive and kicking...

Just did gravity reading now day 3, OMG still 16degrees its already dropped 1011,,, I think shes already done... time to raise temp to 18-20 for another 4 days before crash chill

Go the WLP002... you crazy beast you ,,, wonder what the Wyeast equivalent is?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replies fellas. I have crossed Ringwood and Irish Ale off the list and put 1318 on the back burner. Trying to decide between 1469 and 1968 (thanks for the tip Waylon). I am currently leaning towards 1469. Will keep you posted.

I am very curious what a flavourful, malt enhancing liquid strain like this can do for a kit brew, which of course does not contain flavourful malts like Maris Otter or Munich for it to accentuate. unsure

Cheers,

Christina.

1968 apparently can be a little on the lazy side at times. I used it once or twice and didn't experience this but others reportedly have. I haven't had any issues at all with 1469 though. Ripper yeast that does the job well, and usually quite quickly, in my experience.

It will still accentuate the maltiness a bit even if there isn't any MO in it. In my red ale for example, while it does contain MO as the base malt, it can't really be tasted underneath the influence from the Caraaroma, but going from using US-05 to 1469 I definitely noticed an increase in the malt influence.

My next yeast on the cards is MEXICAN LAGER

Anyone used it

Hi Waylon.

No, but if you are making a Mexican style beer you may enjoy this website:

http://www.freewebs.com/kenlenard/mexicanbeerpage.htm

Ken is a nice guy and I've e-mailed with him in the past, asking for advice on how to make something like Cristal, a beer they sell in Cuba which I enjoyed when I was there a few years ago.

What kind of brew are you planning with the Mexican lager yeast?

Cheers,

Christina.

My basic lagers Christina...Some may think a tad boring but I like em simple

Recipes are AUS base malts pilsner 90%, vienna 10% and USA bittering hops (MT hood 5.6%) 18 IBU & flavour 5 IBUs,

I think its a nice balance for a summer lager...

mashed 64 degrees for 30 then 30 degrees 68 before 74-78 mash out

Archived