Coopers Community

First All Grain BIAB

Wotto

I have just purchased a crown urn and grains for my first brew. I ordered over the phone and then asked for a couple of their recipes they use for their fresh wort kits which they happily made up for me. When i picked it all up it the grains are for a 23 litre batch which is fine as I'm keen to just get a few under my belt. I have ran the profile in Beersmith and the recommendation is 32 litres pre boil with close to 36 litres as a start volume. I was just wondering if this sounds in the ball park. The recipe is a US IPA with 6kg of grain' date=' 60 minute mash at 68 degrees with 10 minute mash out at 76 degrees with a 60 minute boil. The start volume seemed a bit large to me but then I'm a green horn so hence the question.[/quote']

I've only done 1 brew so far with my Crown, but those amounts would get you about 23L into the fermenter. I'd say about 29L post boil... from memory I got 3L per hour boil off. Then taking into account dead space, you'd be close to 23L.

Yeah that sounds about right mate. My pre-boil volumes are usually about 9L higher than my intended batch size into the FV. Even if it is a bit too much strike water, that's better than not having enough. I don't think you'll need 36L to get to 32L pre-boil though, but I would use it this time around just in case. It'll take a few batches to fine tune it but at least you can start off with some ball park figures. Seems 3L an hour boil off with these urns is quite common too, I get the same on mine.

Hoping to brew on Sunday and was wondering if I should use a kettle fining agent? My LHBS only has Irish Moss and I can skip out of work hopefully and pick some up.

I use Irish moss and find it works well, I pop in a tea spoon about the 15 minute mark in the boil. I used a whirlfoc tablet in my last brew only because it came with the recipe kit, but at this stage, they seem very similar. I'd recommend a fining of some sort rather than nothing, but its not the end of the world if you dont have any.

Yeah they are useful for coagulating and dropping out proteins in the boil. I use Brewbrite which I think contains some Irish moss. It works well too, but despite what they say it does need to be mixed up in water first. I threw it in dry once and it just formed globules on the surface of the wort and didn't really do anything.

Yeah they are useful for coagulating and dropping out proteins in the boil. I use Brewbrite which I think contains some Irish moss. It works well too' date=' but despite what they say it does need to be mixed up in water first. I threw it in dry once and it just formed globules on the surface of the wort and didn't really do anything.[/quote']

i just picked up a packet and the instructions say to mix with water and let sit before adding it to the wort.

Well I managed to put down my first AG BIAB today and was surprised at how easy it all went and the amazing aromas that came with it. I ended up starting with 34 litres after much consideration and it was spot on filling my 20 litre cube perfectly and 200ml in a flask for OG. The predicted OG was 1056 and I managed 1054 and the taste was spot on. I believe the reason it went so well was because of the helpful advice from those on this forum and I am very grateful for your help, everything from strike water, pulley systems and mashing was spot on.

Thanks

Greg

Well I managed to put down my first AG BIAB today and was surprised at how easy it all went and the amazing aromas that came with it. I ended up starting with 34 litres after much consideration and it was spot on filling my 20 litre cube perfectly and 200ml in a flask for OG. The predicted OG was 1056 and I managed 1054 and the taste was spot on. I believe the reason it went so well was because of the helpful advice from those on this forum and I am very grateful for your help' date=' everything from strike water, pulley systems and mashing was spot on.

Thanks

Greg[/quote']

Great to hear !

Missing OG by 2 points is nothing , few more brews and you'll dial in your own efficiency numbers and hit targets every time.

kinda wishing i'd gone the urn way myself ,look forward to hearing how it tastes when it's done

• 3 weeks later...

I pitched my yeast starter into the cube from my first crack at BIAB and AG brewing this morning at 11.00am. I emptied the cube which I warmed to 18 degrees into the fermenter and pitched the yeast cold. The wait on this one is gonna kill me but hoping it will be worth it.

The only other main problem was the urn cutting out with 20 mins of the boil to go because crap had burned onto the element cover. I still had the false bottom in and couldnt lift it up to scrub the bottom so just had to deal with it cutting in and out. In future' date=' I'll fit some wire to the false bottom to lift it out after mashing and scrub the bottom of the urn before the boil starts.

[/quote']

May I recommend one of these for cleaning the bottom? They are cheap , made of stainless and are just long enough to reach the element cover without getting your fingers burnt. They work like a charm , much better than the version I tried to make myself rolleyes

• 4 weeks later...
lol at the first two comments on it. Looks good though mate, glad it's tasting nicely as well! It's an awesome feeling to taste your first AG batch in the glass and it turns out well. Mine came from a bottle rather than a beer tap but the leap in quality over kits and extracts was definitely noticeable.

Archived