Coopers Community

Pewter Mugs vs Nucleated Glasses

Beerlust

Hi guys.

For the practicality of purely drinking purposes I was wondering if anyone on the forum prefers to drink their beer from one or the other, & if so, for what reason?

I have a couple of nice pewter mugs that have been sitting in the cupboard for sometime un-used, so I grabbed one today, sat it in the fridge for 10mins or so to chill it down then poured a beer from the keg into it. I noticed it poured very well giving a nice head, & the beer in it remained noticeably colder for longer than when I pour it into my nucleated glasses that also produce a nice head.

For aesthetic reasons & being able to showcase a beer to yourself & others a nice glass is obviously ideal, but for a better drinking experience is a pewter mug a better option? unsure

I'd be interested in others thoughts.

Cheers,

Lusty.

I'm guessing a pewter mug would probably have better insulation than glass hence keeping the beer colder for longer. I have a double walled stainless steel coffee mug that has that effect of keeping the tea or coffee hotter for longer, so I imagine it works with colder too.

I don't have any pewter mugs here that I'm aware of at least but if I find one at some point I might give it a go as well just to compare to my usual nucleated beer glasses. happy

• 2 years later...

Hi guys.

Since Kelsey was the only one to respond to this thread 2 years ago, I'm guessing the pewter mug has gone out of fashion for drinkers. sad

When I was an adolescent these were often given as presents for 18th's & 21st's or prominent birth dates with engravings on them, & your father or uncles, or grandfathers always seemed to have one they were drinking out of at large family get-togethers from my memories at an early age.

Times change, & I admit I don't hear or see these anywhere near as often as I used to. A shame really, as they are @#$%ing terrific for pouring & drinking beer from as well as keeping it colder for longer than a glass generally will while you chat with your mates & slurp away. I honestly believe the "tinny" evolved from the positives of drinking beer from pewter mugs & steins etc.

I'm currently decanting stubbies of Coopers commercial ale into my favourite pewter mug & saving the yeast in the bottles for an upcoming brew. The foam development when pouring & the cold insulation (as Kelsey mentioned in his post above) is always really good when drinking from a quality pewter mug.

If you don't currently own one, do yourself a favour & buy a good one for yourself because as the ladies L'Oreal commercial says, "You're worth it!". wink

Cheers & good drinking,

Lusty.

my inlaws bought me those spiegelau fancy glasses so thats what i use

when i was in greece i bought a beautiful Little Donkey Brewery chalice type mug. but as its stainless steel, i cant see the beer through it and that takes away the experience for me

Hi Gag. smile

Cool thread bump Lusty' date=' (Obviously making sure your contributions are not forgotten[img']smile[/img])

I actually forgot I even made this thread, as I just searched for "pewter mug". innocent

I once had a pewter mug given to me many years ago' date=' it had a glass bottom if I recall.

Dont think I liked drinking out of it. Kind of tasted "tinny".[/quote']

It'll only taste "tinny" if it was from a tinny source to begin with (IMHO). wink

As a side note, I don't buy beer commercially packaged in tin as a general rule, but do admit some of the highly hopped beers I have purchased contained in tin/aluminium seemed to overwhelm (for a better word) this "tinny" trait.

Despite my earlier comment of how the "tinny" evolved, I have never been much of a fan of the tinny ever anyway. I like beer packaged in glass (as I can see though it), thus don't have to be completely reliant on quality control. tonguewink

Cheers,

Lusty.

Anthony,

I have to agree with you, drinking out of a pewter mug seems to hold a better head & stays colder for longer than a beer glass. I like to sample new brews from a glass so I can have a bit of a look at the colour, head etc. then after I'm happy with all that & hopefully received a few compliments from drinking partners it's back to a pewter mug.

You are right, they were a standard birthday pressie back in the day (I have a couple that are showing their years now!) & have even won a couple at golf as well as a double walled pewter "Schooner".

Archived