Coopers Community

coopers stout

Rutherglen Rambler

Would you use your usual glad wrap method to corral the foam?

Use it for every brew Muddy!

If the foam hits the glad wrap, it's just a new bit of glad wrap instead of a dirty lid and airlock to worry about. Don't worry about infection either because the ph of the brew at this stage would be getting lower and the bugs woudn't like it!

Also, if the fermenter is too tall with the airlock for the fridge, then the glad wrap is perfect!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ha Ha!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah well ... we have all done strange things to improve our brews. Some work and some don't.

I think my biggest problem is that I am too critical of my own brews.

I think about how next time I should do this or that to make it better. Maybe the brew's too light or heavy, too bitter or sweet, too dark or light.

But then others have a taste and think it tastes great.

At least using Cooper kits you are pretty much guaranteed of drinkable product.

Now a question for someone more knowledgeable on stouts than myself:

I see that people tend to use less sugar to prime stout. To achieve a similar carbonation to a best extra stout what would be a suggested gram per litre sugar ratio? I'm guessing carb drops would be a bit much for a stout?!?

I usually do about 7 or 8 grams per litre when bulk priming my other beers or use carb drops when using standard 375ml or 750 ml bottles.

I know it's not stout, but it's close, my Robust Porter was bulk primed at 110g for 19lts. (almost 6g per lt)

The carb level is really good for that beer.

All my other beers were bulk primed at 7-8g per lt too.(Mostly keg now)

• 4 weeks later...

Hello All, I unleashed a keg of the 2 can stout and a keg of pale at our APEX christmas party on saturday night :!: Went down real well! We emptied both of them and i thought i'd gotten away with it until i crawled out of bed Sunday arvo crook as a dog. The other blokes didn't fare much better and i think i'm in trouble with a few of their wives :evil: It was tops though :D

• 10 months later...

I was just wondering on what the differance in the taste will be if i corral the beast or have to let it blow off.

What differance would it make to the beer.

I am thinking of putting one of these two can screamers down in the next few weeks.

Thanks,

Matt

Matty, I think that the reason PB2 says to corral the foam is that if you let it blow off it carries away some stouty goodness with it. I've got the two can screamer in the tub right now and it's ready to bottle [biggrin] I use a 46l FV which is basically just a food grade plastic garbage can with a lid that seals up pretty well. I've got lots of head space, even for the really volcanic brews, this one produced about 10cm of crud above the level of the beer. [devil]

• 1 month later...

Hey there, im planning to use that recipe for my next brew. Just couple of questions : any idea how it would taste to use 1kg brewing sugar instead of the dextrose? Thing is i got one can of stout and a kilo brewing sugar at home.

And to the next q, how should i corral the foam when it blows over? Just use the regular airlock instead of the "bigger" option with the tube?

A recipe we give out to people who want to make something like our Best Extra Stout.

1.7kg Coopers Original Series Stout

1.7kg Coopers Original Series Dark Ale

1kg Dextrose

Made to 23 litres

Both sachets of yeast (re-activated Coopers yeast culture)

Ferment at 18C.

Be prepared for "foaming over" during the first couple of days :wink:

Hey Dennis - I've never used brewing sugar but I think it is part maltodextrin so alcohol would be reduced but as for flavour I don't think it would be a problem. But I'd wait to see if PB2 or anyone else has anything to say on that.

As for the foam. My preferred method (originally suggested by PB2) is to reduce the brew by a few litres and then after a few days once the foam has dropped I gently top it up to 23L with cooled boiled water. I'd also use glad wrap to seal the fermentor (secured with the o-ring from the lid). You don't need the lid or the airlock. If the foam reaches the glas wrap you can just replace it with a new bit of glad wrap.

I have used brewing sugar for mine and it tastes great, although it is still very young.

To keep the foam in the brew only fill the fermenter to the 18L mark and then when all the foam subsideds fill the fermenter with cooled boiled water.

I used Coopers brewing sugar for one of my beers, can't remember which one, and it was OK (I know this because ALL my beers are OK[roll] ). Paul will correct me if I'm wrong but I think the brew sugar is 80:20 dextrose:Maltodextrin. This means unless you add some malt etc, you will be over Pauls suggested 20 (or 30) % rule. Which just means (depending on beer type and other factors) more time in the bottle is required before better results are achieved.

Archived