Coopers Community

coopers stout

Rutherglen Rambler

Hello all, i would like to make a stout at home in the style of Coopers best extra stout. I'm not sure what type of hops and concentrate to use? Also is there anything else i could add to the wort? I'm also wanting to know what would be the best way to re-activate the yeast out of best extra stout bottles, eg. How much sediment out of how many bottles? how long does it need before adding to the wort? I would love to hear from anyone that has tried replicating coopers stout or that has re-activated yeast from the sediment in coopers bottles.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A recipe we give out to people who want to make something like our Best Extra Stout.

1.7kg Coopers Original Series Stout

1.7kg Coopers Original Series Dark Ale

1kg Dextrose

Made to 23 litres

Both sachets of yeast (re-activated Coopers yeast culture)

Ferment at 18C.

Be prepared for "foaming over" during the first couple of days :wink:

Hi Rambler!

Cause your about to make a volcano brew, I suggest using a blow off tube.

You need to use a hose to stuff in the hole in the lid and submerge the other end into a bucket half full of water. This acts like a big airlock!

I find the type of gas line I use for kegging fits nicely.

Hi Paul,

Every time I rig one up expecting a froth over, it never happens! :roll:

That's the only time I use a lid too!

Peter,

Just type in "blow off tube" in You Tube and you'll see some good examples!

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got round to trying the recipe paul suggested! F#@$ me, you weren't kidding about it being volcanic! :shock: I'm brewing in a 30 litre fermenter and it's nearly reaching the top after only 4 hours! Maybe shouldn't have worried about adding yeast nutrient? I thought with it being such a heavy brew it would benifit with a bit of nutrient. I might have been wrong, don't think it needed any after all :oops: (had slow starts with other high OG recipes before) Smells great 8)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

In February i put down a similar recipe to what Paul suggested, only i put 200g dextrose and 200g of lactose. It quickly bolted to about 28-30degs before BLOWING :lol: I had it on my wifes hand made blanket cupboard :oops: luckily i had put a blanket down.

Before drinking i left them in the bottles for second fermentation for 4 months (June). I don't normally drink stouts but this one is well worht a sip on a cold Canberra winters night.

PB, how do i attach a photo to show all??

Cheers Grant, ACT

OK Paul and fellow stout brewers. Spotted the recipe in a rely above that Paul provided, then compared it to the public website information which shows:

"Coopers Stout has enjoyed a cult following with home brewers. Many believing it is the closest home brew style to the bottled version. Sure, it's good. You can make it better!

Ingredients

\u20221.7kg Coopers Stout

\u20221kg Coopers Brew Enhancer 2

\u2022Nothing Else"

Brewed to 18 litres.

So my question is - which is in fact closer to the commercial Best Extra Stout?

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome D-Lock, so nice of you to join us.

As CATpAW Brewing mentioned earlier, to make a great basic Stout all you need to do is to use

\u20221.7kg Coopers Stout

\u20221kg Coopers Brew Enhancer 2

\u2022And Nothing Else

Top your fermenter up to to 18 litres, and use the Coopers Ale yeast that they supply in the kit.

Coopers have a number of basic recipes on their web site that are sure to work without going out on a limb trying new things.

You can find the Stout recipe here:

Stouter Stout

Once you get your confidence up, you can start trying to change the recipes.

Just keep in mind that the more experimental you get, the more likelihood of things not going as planned ... Just ask ThirstyMatt

• 4 weeks later...

So, ive had the stout in the hot water cylinder cupboard for a week and im pretty keen to give it a taste! the bottles feel hard (using PET) so im guessing its carbonated enough for stout? should i try it or will my thoughts of stout be destroyed for life and should i wait?!?

• 1 month later...

Doh! I was thinking coral not corral.

Would you use your usual glad wrap method to corral the foam?

I miss being able to use my 30L Cooper's fermentor with the extra headroom! I'm stuck using my taller and thinner 25L fermentor because I can't quite close the fridge door with the Cooper's one.

Corral was the word I was thinking of but just didn't have the talent to key it in :oops:

Try starting the brew at a lower volume. Drop it back to 18litres then top it up to the intended brew volume once the foam has died away (normally after day two). It's just a matter of filling gently with cooled boiled water, no stirring. You want to minimise the amount of introduced oxygen at this stage.

Archived