Coopers Community

coopers stout

Rutherglen Rambler

Awesome replys, wery giving! What 20% rule? Isnt it enough malt in 2cans?

And talking about brewing sugars and malt anyone tryed brew with bread syrup? Contains a part of malt extract, but we maybie only got that here? Could i add aditional dextrose to the recipe and get more alcohol that taken out with the maltodextrin? Or will it be to much? Excuse all the questions but i really se forward to try this recipe, and dont wanna mess it up hehe

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What 20% rule?

I believe the 20% rule refers to keeping simple sugars to a maximum of 20% of your ingredients. Therefore by using brewing sugar you will actually be using less simple sugars than suggested in the recipe which means you stay true to the rule.

Did I get that right?

What 20% rule?

I believe the 20% rule refers to keeping simple sugars to a maximum of 20% of your ingredients. Therefore by using brewing sugar you will actually be using less simple sugars than suggested in the recipe which means you stay true to the rule.

Did I get that right?

Oh ok then i understand. So the "more time in the bottle is required before better results are achieved." is for over 20%?

Even if as i understand the longer the better when it comes to storing.

Have i got this right?

What 20% rule?

Did I get that right?

Oh ok then i understand. So the "more time in the bottle is required before better results are achieved." is for over 20%?

Even if as i understand the longer the better when it comes to storing.

Have i got this right?

yes mate,

A recipe we give out to people who want to make something like our Best Extra Stout.

1.7kg Coopers Original Series Stout

1.7kg Coopers Original Series Dark Ale

1kg Dextrose

Made to 23 litres

Both sachets of yeast (re-activated Coopers yeast culture)

Ferment at 18C.

Be prepared for "foaming over" during the first couple of days :wink:

Just wondering what the FG should be around. Has been fermenting for almost 2 weeks and is still around the 1020 mark. I will be checking it again on the Friday but I will be expecting the same gravity reading.

I didn't make a starter for this one (I learn from mistakes).

1020 is too high for this recipe, a FG in the low teens is more like it. Doesn't matter if you are planning to bottle into PET [cool]

Options - give it a gentle stir with a sanitised spoon or add more dry yeast (hydrated prior to pitching) or bottle it into PET with half the priming rate.

Starter...

Dry yeast hydrated in water - a kind of starter, something that commercial yeast suppliers suggest.

Dry yeast hydrated in a sugar solution - also a kind of starter, some would argue that this technique stresses the yeast. It doesn't as long as only a teaspoon or two is dissolved in the 250ml of water (whether it actually helps the yeast is another question).

Yeast in a mini wort, such as 500ml to 1 litre of wort at the same sort of density as the full brew for at least 12 to 24 hrs - this is a fair dinkum starter [biggrin]

Many people tell us how much they enjoy the stouter stout recipe.

I prefer a stout with more body and bitterness, like a toucan stout - Stout + (pale ale, lager, draught, real ale, dark ale or stout) made to 23 litres. The second kit is listed in order of bitterness level and colour.

If you haven't made stout before, start with a low colour/bitterness kit as the second kit.

Archived