Coopers Community

New Brew - English Bitter

PB2

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A batch of English Bitter prizes, from the newsletter competition, went out in yesterday's post.

The was a glitch with pricing on the Coles shelves but it should be sorted out now. I live for the day when a new product release runs smoothly : :roll: : The retail price should be in line with the others in the International range.

Looks like the Union Jack adorned glass on the label has started some debate on other brewing forums, hilarious! As Bill Cooper says, "Any publicity is good publicity." :wink:

I too, received a kit etc yesterday.

Thank you Coopers (PB2).

I intend to use an extra 500 gm of DLM (total 1 kg) ferment it a at a low temp (hopefuly 20-22 degs) for about 8-10 days and do a secondary ferment in the keg.

I shall let you know how it works out in about 5-6 weeks time.

Cheers

Peter

"Coopers will cease to be an "independent" brewery before my last home brew is drunk!!!! Mark my words...enjoy it while we can). "

Let's hope not!!! My grandafther, then my father and then myself made Coopers or drank Coopers. The day they sell out to the big corps is the day the loyalty ends for me. Let's hope it never happens.

I think Ghost is refering to Max and his comment on page 1 of this thred....................

And who said us Aussies were an insular, short sighted bunch...(hmmmm "bitter" pommie crap indeed).

Yes there is crap and its called Carling, Fosters & XXXX (brewed under license), Carlsberg, John Smiths, Tetleys, etc.....(or perhaps....... there are the real ale/bitter supporters as typified by CAMRA (Capiagn for Real Ale)...which is what us home brewers try to emulate).

The wise among the forum members have quoted the UK brewery Timothy Taylor (well done) as something to emulate....or perhaps why not try some of the micro brew ales/bitters which have sprung up in Oz in the last 5 - 10 years. Struth!!!!....25 years ago the only microbrewery was Redback, now every man and his dog in seems to be pumping out some microbrew..(ahhh but the world wide lager behemoths of Inbev SA, SAB Miller, Anheuser-Busch, Lion Nathan, etc....continue to grow. Coopers will cease to be an "independent" brewery before my last home brew is drunk!!!! Mark my words...enjoy it while we can).

A good bitter is a good bitter (regardless of where its from)...let us see what the Coopers boys/girls have bestowed upon us with this new incarnation of the amber homebrew kit

Hoooray!!!

:wink:

With you now - back to the post from Max, right!!

I can assure Max and others - the Cooper family and shareholders (extended family), particularly those directly employed by the business, consider themselves to be merely custodians of something special.

As such, it is not their's to sell off the Coopers legacy.

During the attempted Lion Nathan takeover, 99% of shareholders wore a badge - "It's not about the money!" The others 1% have now liquidated their shares and are out of the game. :)

The prospect of Coopers being bought out?? - It aint gonna happen in my lifetime :wink:

Who is this Kirin Holdings? I assume it is some overseas corporate giant?

...not that I drink any Lion Nathan products anyway. Recently moved and my home brew is in storage so I went up to the local and got a carton of Coopers Pale Ale. Like drinking nectar!!

Kirin is Japan's oldest brewery. Their main sellers are Kirin Lager and Ichiban Shibori. It has holdings in businesses around the world, from beer and softdrinks to pharmaceuticals. As already mentioned it owns 46% of Australia's Lion Nathan, and now has tentative approval to buy the rest of it at $11.50/share. It has also just increased its 15% stake in the Philippine's largest brewer San Miguel to 48.3%. San Miguel was, up until recently, the owner of Tasmania's Boags Brewery, which it sold to Lion Nathan. In the same month, November 2007, San Miguel sold National Foods (Pura Milk and Big M) to Kirin. Just to complicate matters further, Kirin is part of the Japanese conglomerate Mitsubishi.

It's pointless trying to remember all that, because by the time you do, it will have changed. Things change quickly in the world of beer and big business.

Back to the important things at hand - English Bitter. Looked for it on the weekend, down my way. But no stocks as yet!

And as most of know by now, patience is not my best quality.

Archived