Coopers Community

Vintage Ale

pluke17

I have an original unopened 6 pack of extra strong vintage ale - first batch 1998.

Would like to know the value of this unopened 6 pack and whether the ale is drinkable if opened.

On the topic of Vintage Ale.

Was thinking about doing the VA recipe. Seek advice from those who have done this recipe.

Is there much krausen activity? i.e. Can I use my 30 Litre fermentation Vessel and not worry about krausen poring out of the airlock etc?

Cheers,

Pete

Hi Gigantor,

I made the 2013 VA recipe about a year ago using the Coopers 30L fermenter without any problems. If I remember correctly there was quite a bit of activity, but not enough to reach the lid. To date, it was probably my best (or at least favourite), so I'd definitely recommend it!

Thanks, BE. Good to know.

There are so many of these strong beers I want to make but am always a little apprehensive due to the potential fermentation activity. Did one a year or so ago in my old Mr Beer 8.5Litre FV ( 1 can of real ale + 1 can of pale ale) and it killed it - had krausen all over the floor, cracked the tap on the FV and the side of the FV.

Really want to do the Russian Imperial Stout - but it does warn you to use a 40L or 60L FV.

Cheers,

Pete

Did one a year or so ago in my old Mr Beer 8.5Litre FV ( 1 can of real ale + 1 can of pale ale) and it killed it - had krausen all over the floor' date=' cracked the tap on the FV and the side of the FV.

[/quote']

Jeez, what was the OG on that?? Not particularly surprised that it screwed the FV with that many fermentables in such a small volume! lol

Sounds like it would have been a pretty impressive beer if the FV had survived the process!

I've also been thinking about making a RIS using the coopers recipe or a similar one, perhaps it would be possible to add the dextrose after a few days of fermentation in order to limit the initial explosive activity?

Archived