Coopers Community

Mexican

BassBeer

Is it weird that I really really enjoy most if not ALL mexican styled beers? (no lemon or lime for me!)

They just have a flavour that I never get bored with, did try and brew a mexican cerveza but tasted odd and nothing like it was meant to, so abit throw with doing another (Mangrove Jack tin, may have been a bad tin?)

Anyone else a mexican fan?

Now now B10 and Sir Lusty, not everyone has your ever so well developed palate(read hop blasted). rolleyestongue

Mexican Beer, is that VB, Carlton Draught, Melbourne Bitter and Fosters? sicksickwhistling

Don't worry BassBeer, those two don't play nice in the sand pit, their just extracting the urine tongue

Cheers

Hi BassBeer.

I was just kidding before....actually, no I wasn't! lol

Anyhow, I'm not a party pooper when it comes to trying to help a fellow home brewer.

If you have the capability to lager brew at lower temperatures & are serious about replicating the Cerveza style, then grab a Coopers Mexican Cerveza kit, 1kg of light dry malt extract, & most importantly, a suitable lager yeast for the job.

I would strongly recommend the White Labs WLP940 - Mexican Lager Yeast. Despite me not really being put into a state of wanting to do cartwheels when talking about Cerveza beer flavour (is it even legal to put flavour & Cerveza in the same sentence? unsure), this particular lager strain of yeast is highly praised. Even White Labs themselves speak highly of it above others in their yeast bank.

Coincidentally I have a friend of friend who won the "Pale Lager" category at the Australian Home Brewing Competition a number of years back using this yeast. And before anyone says it, No he didn't win the category with a Cerveza style beer! tongue

If you want to add a bit of hop character, the procedure outlined in the Coopers DIY: Caribbean Siesta recipe in conjunction with a suitable hop of your choice would be the way to go. But the lager yeast is a must.

Coopers Mexican Cerveza kit + 1kg of Light dry malt extract + WLP940 + lager ferment temp = Very Good Cerveza beer.

I hope that helps.

Lusty.

I just wonder how the Spanish word for beer actually became a "style" of its own. lol

I have to agree, those beers are pretty bland and not my preference in any situation but I'm not one to knock those who drink what they enjoy either. I wouldn't know how to brew a bland beer but I hope you can get something that is what you are looking for! cool

Yesterday while I was doing a little bit of digging around to try & help BassBeer with his cerveza question etc. I was looking into what hop is probably used in the making of the beer, as TBQH I don't actually know. unsure

(put that down to lack of interest/lack of research! tongue)

Anyhow, I came across a forum, not unlike this one & a thread also discussing making cerveza beer. Part way down the thread a guy pipes up & writes, "...what? it has hops in it?!!".

To which a guy responds with something like, "...you'll need a pretty accurate set of scales to measure out a quantity that small!"

Then the very next reply from a third guy was, "Don't worry about scales, just throw 2 pellets in!"

Hahaha! Cracked me up anyway! lol

I'm so easily amused! innocent

On a serious note among a lot of noble varieties thrown around, "Cluster" came up, & I would concur that hop is probably a pretty good choice. Come to think of it, I may have suggested that hop in an old thread here. unsure

Cheers,

Lusty.

If you want to find some great info about Mexican beer recipes check out the Mayfair Court Brewhouse site www.freewebs.com

Mexican beers are a local interpretation of a German lager. They have hops just not a lot. If you are like me and eat chilies for breakfast, lunch and dinner you will find hops accentuate the chile flavour rather than moderating it.

I really like hoppy beers too like the stuff from BrewDog which is over the top in hops but Mexican style beers are fun in the sun, bbq's and drinking beer all day.

He has a Mexican beer page and a recipes(all grain)page that are full of info.

Hope this helps

Peggy

Yeah good call Peggy.

It's Ken Lenard's beer recipe page. Linky.

I've posted a link to this page a few times over the years. Some very good recipes on there. I even brewed one a few years ago & it turned out very well. happy

Certainly worth a visit. cool

Cheers,

Lusty.

That's the same hop used in XXXX' date=' so I would agree it's probably a good choice for an equally boring style of beer. [img']biggrin[/img]

I enjoy the occasional pint of xxxx bitter icy cold with a parmy (lack of choice up here)

May have to buy some Cluster and make one for a giggle.

Probably because a heap of dextrose will result in a thin, watery beer, which is what Mexican beers are like. Of course, it also results in a pretty terrible tasting beer too, and while I'm not a fan of Mexican beers, it's worse than they are.

I reckon the LDM will be a vast improvement in itself.

It's good for priming bottles. lol

In small amounts, up to about 300-400g, it is handy for increasing ABV a bit, and also drying the beer out slightly - not to the point of being like water, but enough to make it a tad thinner. In a standard brew you probably wouldn't go over that amount because then you do get into the territory of cidery flavours and water thin beer, which is probably more the reason that other batch turned out crap, than the hops.

Archived