Coopers Community

Yeast Harvesting from Starter

Otto Von Blotto

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think I harvested my last batch of 1469 a bit early, I stopped the stir plate on the 24 hour mark.

When it was cooled down in the fridge next to the Nottingham harvested yeast it suffered from a bit of yeast harvest envy.

The Notty sample was a healthy 10-15 mm at the bottom of the 1 litre jam jar.

The 1469 was barely 8mm and didn't appear to be as uniform in its density as the Notty.

Concerned I didn't have the required 100B cells required for my next starter (which would have been about 4 weeks from harvest), I decided to make another 2.1litre starter.

I let this one go for 48 hours on the stir plate, then split it into 650mls to be saved for the next starter and and the other 1.45litres hopefully will be OK to go straight into the next brew.

When they were all back in the fridge and next to the Nottingham the new 650ml harvest was similar to the Notty and the larger harvest was looking pretty dam healthy too.

Think I will leave all my starters for harvest on the stir plate for 48 hours from now on!

Cheers

James

24 hours on the stir plate for an ale yeast is plenty, it doesn't need to be stirring any longer than that really. What I normally do is stir them for about 24 hours then leave them sit there undisturbed for another couple of days before re-stirring it all up again to harvest the yeast, and only then put it in the fridge. Lagers I stir for about 36 hours before doing the same thing. 48 hours is over the top and not necessary.

Another thing I do is not try to harvest 100 billion cells but rather work out how big to make the starter so that I can steal the 800mL my jars hold and still be left with enough cells in the starter for the batch. The amount of cells in the 800mL stolen portion varies, for me usually between 130 and 150 billion cells.

Thanks for the reply.

OK will give that a go next time round .

Maybe I need to to get a 3 litre flask instead of the 2 litre.

Noticed with the last one at 2.1 litres in the flask the krausen was escaping a little bit.!

Cheers

James

Yeah I use the 3L flask for most ale starters that are around the 2L mark, it's fine for most of them although I have had 1469 escape on a couple of occasions. I wouldn't use a 2L flask for a 2L starter though. The 5L one is used for lagers as these are usually minimum 3L in size.

Archived