Coopers Community

Coopers Brewery - Ale ferment temp

antiphile

If this question contains any info considered "Commercial in Confidence", I'm very happy for it to be ignored (much like Hairy does to me cool).

But I've worked hard over the last few days emptying six longnecks of Sparkling Ale for the CCA. It's a tough job but someone had to do it. Now I'm wondering what temperature Coopers use to ferment it to get the best out of the yeast for their sparkling. I understand it is done on an industrial basis with very fine tolerances which is very different to most of us homies (although I would like to see one of the assistant Brewers on a ladder next to a 10,000 litre fermenter armed only with a can opener, 500 tins of TCS Sparkling Ale cans and a huge wooden spoon).

Cheers, Philly

Hujambo my Swahili brew buddy!

My gut feeling (and this is purely speculative) is that the Sparkling Ale is fermented slightly lower than the Pale Ale. I can't be certain at all though. The Sparkling Ale has a much bigger malt profile than the Pale Ale, so could certainly impact on how the yeast flavour presents when comparing the two.

If I had to have a guess, I'd say the CSA is possibly fermented lower at 18-19°C, whereas the CPA appears to be definitely 20°C+ due to it's very distinct banana ester derived flavour profile.

The Coopers DIY recipe notes suggest to ferment @ 18-21°C for the CSA, & 21°C firm for the CPA, & that seems to backup my own intel from firsthand usages of the CCA yeast.

You might also find Coopers own tasting notes helpful.

Coopers Sparkling Ale: Tasting notes

Hopefully PB2 can share the real facts with you. unsure

Cheers,

Anthony.

Good afternoon to my brothers in beer (The ones with Lust in a glass and the Brownster)

I think I'll have to book myself into beer tasting lessons, 'cos it's obvious I'm the odd life-form out. I've always wanted to try the Coopers Pale Ale (and I'm certain you appreciate it is only for the empty crown seal bottles), but for the life of me I can't discern any banana flavour or aroma. I checked the link for the tasting notes, and agree with all they say, but I seem to only get a slight hint of citrus (I'd say a grapefruit tang) and the floral notes.

I'm certainly not going to argue with your perceptions since my smoking habit has dulled my senses in more ways than one, nor will I contradict your thoughts on the slightly higher ferment temp when compared to the sparkling ale, but I just thought that it (and myself) was a bit odd.

Cheers guys

Phil

The memory is a bit dim (as am I these days) but I reckon this info was on the previous iteration of our website?? The last time I checked with our brewers, the ferment temp for ales was down around the 16C-17C mark. This info is readily available on the Brewery Tour wink

Anyway, here's the thing - if you ferment a DIY Beer size batch at that temp you won't get the same characters thrown by the yeast. To get the sort of ester profile that we see from a 170,000litre brew, you need to ferment a 23litre brew at a temp at least 18C or higher. sideways

Thanks so much, Paul. Absolutely fantastic information!

I had no idea, and certainly would have never even considered, that brew volume makes such an impact (or even any impact) on the beer character. Utterly amazing. So much to learn, so few brain cells.

And a 170,000 litre fermenter? That's a lotta beer.

I'd still like to see the master brewer tell the first-day apprentice to go to the warehouse and get a can opener, 8,500 cans of Sparking Ale and a large steel spoon (just like the can of striped paint, the left handed screwdriver or the skyhook).

Thanks PB2.

Thanks so much' date=' Paul. Absolutely fantastic information!

I had no idea, and certainly would have never even considered, that brew volume makes such an impact (or even any impact) on the beer character. Utterly amazing. So much to learn, so few brain cells.

And a 170,000 litre fermenter? That's a lotta beer.[/quote']

+1 to antiphile's comments here. That is amazing! w00t

I too had no idea that brew volume could affect characters thrown by the yeast. I just always assumed that provided you pitch the required amount of yeast for the volume you are brewing & the temperature you plan to ferment the brew at, that the yeast would throw the same characters regardless of volume.

You learn something new every day, & there's no shortage of empty space in my head to accommodate more of that. wink

Interesting stuff PB2. cool

Cheers,

Anthony.

• 1 year later...

Archived