Coopers Community

State Of Origin

Guzz

Might have been a good game of rugby' date=' but not footy.. Footy is AFL![/quote']

Oh is that what you call it? always thought it was cross country hand ball, well it was only developed as a way for cricketers to keep fit in the winter anyhow. lol

Cheers.

Phew. Thanks, MagnaMan. I was rather confused with this conversation, but I think you have clarified it for me. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems:

Rugby: is the game they play in heaven;

Rugby League: is the game they play in the prison yard; and

Football: is the game they play when everyone has forgotten to bring a properly shaped ball.

Am I getting close?

NRL = Real Footy. Go the BLUES, Go the Tigers. Where's me beer?

AFL = Been watching it for 50 years and still do not understand the rules or the point or it's popularity. The Mexicans seem to like it, good luck to em.

Rugby Union = Footy for smart people. It's trendy to watch "Rugby" if you hanging with the "Upper Class" and pretend to understand why the ref blows the whistle every 12 seconds...whatever!

Soccer = A-League - a game where possession changes hands every 3 seconds. Anywhere else, it's a game where the goal should be about 1 metre wider, then it might be interesting. Also it's the only game in the world where a 0-0 scoreline is considered a good result ?

Guzz

{Flak jacket on}

So we've experimented with this concept for 100 times now, and I think it's time to blow the whistle!

Why?

Because:

(1) It grossly distorts the NRL competition, with some clubs losing their better players for quite a few games each year

(2) It's Rugby League is it not - so why have different tolerances regarding thuggery and rule interpretations from weekly club games? Oh, because it's SOO - yeah, right - so what!

(3) It's degenerated into a gladiatorial over-hyped thug-a-thon

I love rugby league, but every year at SOO time, I cringe just a little bit more at the seriousness in which it's regarded. I'd like to shout IT'S JUST A GAME, but it's moved on from that - it's a bloody business, masquerading as a game.

{Flak jacket off}

{Flak jacket on}

So we've experimented with this concept for 100 times now' date=' and I think it's time to blow the whistle!

Why?

Because:

(1) It grossly distorts the NRL competition, with some clubs losing their better players for quite a few games each year

Guzz: I agree it is disruptive, however, generally it is the top/leading clubs players who miss games giving the lower clubs a chance to pick up a win during SOO time. This is not a bad thing for the competition in my view.

(2) It's Rugby League is it not - so why have different tolerances regarding thuggery and rule interpretations from weekly club games? Oh, because it's SOO - yeah, right - so what!

Guzz: It is a different competition and should be looked at as such. There has always been a different rules/tolerances/rule interpretations for SOO.It's one of the things that makes it great!

(3) It's degenerated into a gladiatorial over-hyped thug-a-thon

Guzz: Agreed, just another reason it is so good!

I love rugby league, but every year at SOO time, I cringe just a little bit more at the seriousness in which it's regarded. I'd like to shout IT'S JUST A GAME, but it's moved on from that - it's a bloody business, masquerading as a game.

{Flak jacket off}

Guzz: I'm guessing you are a queensland supporter...sour grapes ? tongue

• 3 weeks later...

Great Win!!!

Only 3.5 hours now until Socceroos take on Netherlands in the World Cup!

Gonna be loooooong night.

Hope Ive got enough beer..... whistling

No work tomorrow, got some beer to make thoughw00t

Great Win!!!

Only 3.5 hours now until Socceroos take on Netherlands in the World Cup!

Gonna be loooooong night.

Hope Ive got enough beer..... whistling

No work tomorrow' date=' got some beer to make though[img']w00t[/img]

G'day Guzz, your night is like mine and beer to be made tomorrow! Great win The Blues !!!! WOOT WOOT !!!! one good thing the news up here tomorrow will be as if there was no game played.......HaHaHaHa, I've lived here long enough to know what to expect....silence....It's golden indeed....biggrinlovew00t

You guys are alright - even if you're all New South Welshman, at least you're league fans !!

This years SOO is one of the roughest I can remember in years and it took a lot of guts for the Blues to win the first two games - congratulations.

Love from a Queenslander.

• 3 weeks later...

3-0 please.w00t

Sports fest in progress.

Watched Brazil v Germany this morning (Incredible Thrashing), looked like it was going to be 10-0 at one stage.

State Of Origin 3 tonight!!

Netherlands V Argentina 6am tomorrow.

Then the World Cup Final on Sunday 6am.

Then only a few short months till the TEST CRICKET!!!

All of these go very well with beer tongue

Guzz

Archived