Coopers Community

APA Extract/Partial Mash

Beerlust

Hi guys.

I put this extract/partial brew down yesterday...

Coopers LME 1.5kgs

Light Dried Malt Extract 333gms

Barret Burston Ale Malt grain 500gms

Aromatic Malt grain 300gms

Medium Crystal grain 300gms

CaraAmber grain 200gms

Barret Burston Wheat Malt grain 200gms

75 minute mash @ 67\xb0C

6 litre boil:

Simcoe (11.8%AA) 20gms @ 60mins

Cascade (7.2%AA) 20gms @ 30mins

Centennial (9.2%AA) 15gms @ 15mins

Galaxy (14.5%AA) 20gms @ flameout (post boil steep)

Simcoe (11.8%AA) 10gms @ flameout (post boil steep)

Cascade (7.2%AA) 20gms dry hopped after 4-5 days

Galaxy (14.5%AA) 10gms dry hopped after 4-5 days

US-05 yeast

23 Litres final ferment volume

OG = approx. 1.046

FG = approx. 1.012

EBC = 19

IBU = 45.5 (Tinseth formula)

Final bottled ABV = approx. 4.8%

It's bubbling away quite nicely @ approx. 20\xb0C at the moment. [happy]

I haven't used aromatic malt before, so I am quite interested in the final out come of this brew. It should spit out something interesting anyways. [joyful]

Any insights or thoughts on the recipe are welcomed.

Cheers,

Anthony.

Sounds good.

I haven't used aromatic or caraamber, so can't comment on the grain bill, but from what I have read, aromatic may be similar to munich malt, which I [love].

Good to see you're treating Simcoe and Galaxy gently. I've wrecked a couple of brews by overdoing those two.

Good job.

Hi Philbo. [happy]

You are spot on, with the call about the aromatic malt. I've heard it called "Double Munich" in some circles, & it certainly presented a very noticeable aroma outside the combination of other malt grains I used in this mini-mash.

The CaraAmber I accidently used in place of CaraMalt last year in the kit based version of Smurto's Golden Ale clone using the Coopers Sparkling Ale kit as the base, & it turned out really well. So I decided to give it a whirl again in this recipe.

I haven't done a Galaxy brew for quite a while so just decided to find somewhere for some of it in this brew to really mix things up.

Fingers crossed the combo works. [wink]

Thanks for the input. [smile]

Anthony.

Hi Chad. [happy]

Longtime, no see eh?

...I seem to recall Lusty saying he doesn't have the space or equipment to do full AG batches at the moment. [unsure]
+1

Kelsey has a good memory. [cool]

I mash in my oven inside 8 litre pots, so that's where my grain restrictions lie. I try to freshen up most of my brews with a portion of base malt when I can, & am happy with the quality of beer I am producing at the moment with these partial mashes.

It's good to chat with you again. [smile]

Don't be a stranger eh? [biggrin]

P.S. How's the FWH going?

Cheers,

Anthony.

I know that people reckon that partials are just as much work and as time consuming as AG, but I didn't find them to be.

Volumes and efficiency don't matter as much, you can work on the stove, hit your temps and boil far quicker, and if you have enough chilled water at hand, you can just chuck it straight in the FV when you're done.

I know that people reckon that partials are just as much work and as time consuming as AG, but I didn't find them to be.

Volumes and efficiency don't matter as much, you can work on the stove, hit your temps and boil far quicker, and if you have enough chilled water at hand, you can just chuck it straight in the FV when you're done.

I agree Phil.

The only thing that took longer was the chilling. I used to chill 12-14 litres of wort with partials and now I no-chill.

Hey Lusty,

I was only giving you a friendly nudge towards AG. With your grain bill it would seem you have a fair grasp on the whole mashing process.

I do agree with PB and Hairy when thaey speak the virtues of the PM. I have made (and still do[joyful] ) some very nice brews using Cooper's kit with some grains.

It is the greatest reward to make a brew intirely from scratch with your very own recipe. I think this is something you (I think) might crave.

I do believe that you are ready to make the next step. I suggest you get yourself a bigger kettle and go for it.

If space is limited then get rid of something else![rightful]

FWH has been quite positive. I have been using this method of hopping for several brews now with plenty of success![cool]

BTW, When's the last time you've been "ship wrecked", eh?

G'day Chad. [happy]

I'm with you, PB, & Hairy too about the virtues of PM. I'm really enjoying the brews I'm churning out of late. [biggrin]

It is the greatest reward to make a brew intirely from scratch with your very own recipe. I think this is something you (I think) might crave.
+1

I couldn't agree more. [cool]

FWH has been quite positive. I have been using this method of hopping for several brews now with plenty of success![cool]

I'm really glad to hear that. Especially given how much we chatted about the topic a few months back. [smile]

BTW' date=' When's the last time you've been "ship wrecked", eh?[/quote']

I can identify with the comments made by a another co-forum member in another thread where he stated he had done 61 brews & maybe brewed 3 or 4 of them more than once. In an effort to expand my knowledge of ingredients (primarily malts & hops) more rapidly, I've followed much the same route with my brewing as he. Brewing something different almost all the time.

Let's just say Chad, that when I'm talking brewing in person to fellow brewers, I can recite the full recipe for your "Big Island IPA" or as I like to call it, "Shipwreck IPA" without having to refer to notes. [biggrin]

I see the recent IPA thread got you thinking about it enough to put a batch of it down again a week or two ago! [innocent] [lol] [biggrin]

P.S. Have you ever thought of using the Thomas Coopers IPA kit tin in place of the Real Ale kit tin to see what it could offer? (I know I have, & may brew it)

Cheers,

Anthony.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys.

After reading some recent posts about throwing a "new brew" straight on top of a recent brew yeast cake, I'm actually considering doing it (for the 1st time) this weekend. I'm planning on putting down a brew I listed in the 4 Pines Pale Ale thread that is not a hell of a lot different to the brew I mentioned in the first post of this thread.

My questions are...

1). I've read (on this very forum) about 2nd gen US-05 being a real beast. Anything I should be looking out for by using this particular method with the US-05, or even just the method itself?

2). Being that there is already a certain level of "trub" in the fermenter, will this simply double in thickness once primary ferment has finished re-using the 2nd gen yeast in this fermenter? The reason I ask is that I bottle from my primary fermenter. Will I have to decant off into a secondary fermenter this time around if using the yeast cake in this way to ferment a second time around?

Pouring off as much of the first brew beer from the yeast cake/trub before beginning is a given.

I'm interested in all thoughts.

Cheers,

Anthony.

That's exactly what I do. Chill the wort in the bath then add to the FV with cold water from the freezer.

Really want to get into AG's but I just bought a kegerator so no chance of the boss approving [crying]

1). I've read (on this very forum) about 2nd gen US-05 being a real beast. Anything I should be looking out for by using this particular method with the US-05, or even just the method itself?

A volcano in your brew fridge? [lol]

I'm gonna ferment my Rocka Rolla Pale Ale next when I get this lager bottled, using US-05, but rather than pitching onto the yeast cake (I have to keep the bottles in the brew fridge for about a week to ensure they stay warm enough to carb properly) I will harvest some of it and repitch that way into the Amber ale, but I am interested to see how much more vigorous it ferments.

As for the second question I have no idea as I have never done this before. [cool]

A volcano in your brew fridge? [lol]

Yep, that thought is certainly in the forefront of my thinking. I reckon you could be right on the money there Kelsey. [rightful]

As I won't be home to be in a position to monitor the primary ferment, I think we might postpone this little first time event at the Beerlust Brewery for another more suitable time. [lol]

Cheers,

Anthony.

Archived