Coopers Community

Golden Ale - Hops

Hairy

I have been brewing for a while now and I have never made Dr Smurto's Golden Ale [surprised I must be one of the few that hasn't.

I am planning my next brew and thought I would give Dr Smurto's latest AG recipe a whirl, the one with Vienna and rye. But I want to make one without Amarillo.

I was leaning towards Motueka but have made a few beers with this recently. But yesterday I tried an Epic Mosaic IPA and was impressed with the flavour so I am now thinking of using Mosaic.

Has anyone here had any experiences with Mosaic or have any other recommendations?

Hi Hairy,

I can't speak for the hops, but I did noticed you are thinking of using rye malt. I have used it a couple of times before. Both of these beer turned out great. Rye can be a pain in the ass on brew day. It can make for stuck mashes and a ton of shite in the brew kettle. I haven't tried this yet but for my next rye brew I am going to have some rice hulls in the grain bill. This addition helps with this problem.

The recipe I am looking at calls for 20% rye, so I will either get some rice hulls or cut back the rye.

I have only had a couple of rye beers before. I had one on tap that I really enjoyed; it was fresh and spicy.

I tried a Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye on the weekend which I found to be a nice beer but I'm not sure how old it was. It seemed to lack a little freshness so I am assuming it would be a great beer in the US, close to the source.

SN Ruthless rye is a great beer![love] [love] It's a seasonal beer (now out of season[roll] ) that my wife and I just couldn't get enough of[cool] . We pretty much drank the bottle shop out of stock[innocent] . This is the beer I modeled my RIPA after.

I'd be happy to post the recipe if you like

SN Ruthless Rye is pretty tasty!

I have a Black Rye IPA in the FV at the moment. I used 20% rye malt in it and the sparge did take a lot longer than usual. It also has Mosaic hops in it along with Citra and Simcoe.

Tasty stuff!

I was thinking the same thing the other day Hairy. I've never brewed this recipe before, and apart from the CSA type beer that Paul was kind enough to post, I have never followed any recipes at all!

Doesn't Smurto's latest DSGA have Victoria hops instead of Amarillo? His home grown ones mostly which the bugger isn't selling rhizomes for this year. [pinched]

I've never brewed the DSGA recipe either so you're not the only one Hairy. But I'm the type who prefers to make my own recipes up rather than follow others. I haven't really had a bad one yet. [lol] Sometimes my best brews have just been total stab in the dark experiments.

This was going to be the first recipe I followed to the letter since my first two K&K brews.

I either make them up myself or tweak them to add my personal stamp.

I may still tweak this one [innocent]

Archived