Coopers Community

Featured recipe request

Scottie

Hey Paul

I have just recently put down your Oktoberfest recipe, which is my first Lager attempt. I intended doing this last winter but I got side tracked by the EB kit.

Anyway, as all my kegs are full, I have two brews in the FV and I have plenty of spare brewing time, I am keen to try another Lager and I am interested in a Munich Helles. A short research effort did not reveal any Coopers recipes, although I did learn that this beer was developed in response to the popularity of the Czech Pils.

Is there any chance that you have a Munich Helles recipe based on the Coopers Pilsner kit or that you could knock one up as part of your featured recipe section? I don't mind being a guinea pig.

Hmmm yeah' date=' we are yet to do a Munich Helles style - perhaps a partial mash, using the European Lager Beer kit as the base, and a hint of Hallertau or similar - what do you think? [/quote']

Hey Paul

A new challenge for sure doing a partial, I've just read the BJCP guidelines and I guess that a partial mash is required to develop the dominate Pils Malt aroma [unsure]. I am looking at one of those Coleman thermos/coolers so that I can mash small amounts of grain. This could be my chance to stop dreaming [innocent].

I really like Munich Helles style lagers. I've been making a number of them lately with the cool weather setting in, although mine are obviously all grain recipes. I'm debating with the next one though whether to transfer it to a secondary FV to lager it for a few weeks before bottling, but I'm not sure if there would be enough yeast to carbonate properly in the bottles??

I made a few of these recipes (link below) when I was making partials; some I tweaked and some I left the same.

Absolute Homebrew - Partial Mash Technique and Recipes

The Premium Lager recipe looks ok and you can sub the kit for the Euro Lager.

You will develop your own techniques after a while but this is a good starter.

Hey Hairy

Thanks for the link, I have bookmarked this one and I think going back and using a Coopers Euro or Pils kit is a good idea.

If you are making a Helles then go with the Euro Lager. I think the Pilsener kit is a cracker of a kit but it is more suited to the Pilsener style. The Pilsener kit may be too bitter for a Helles.

I really like Munich Helles style lagers. I've been making a number of them lately...

Hey Kelsey

I knew that [bandit]

I have been researching lagering in a Cornelius keg. I was initially surprised that the issue of sediment seemed to be an issue for a lager, but then read that the yeast is still active during lagering and this is what helps condition the brew. When you put an ale keg in the fridge the yeast is inactive [surprised.

Anyway a lot of people do lager in the keg. I reckon that's how I will do it.

If you are making a Helles then go with the Euro Lager. I think the Pilsener kit is a cracker of a kit but it is more suited to the Pilsener style. The Pilsener kit may be too bitter for a Helles.

Hairy

With both you and Paul recommending the Euro Lager as a base I will certainly be giving it a go.

Yeah I was just worrying about there being enough yeast left in suspension after lagering in secondary to carbonate it in the bottles properly. But I guess thinking about it logically, the yeast that settles out in secondary is the same yeast that will settle out in primary if left in there so it should be the same amount in suspension regardless really. Shouldn't it? [lol]

Hairy

With both you and Paul recommending the Euro Lager as a base I will certainly be giving it a go.

I would put more weighting on Paul's recommendation then mine [biggrin]

On one hand I am lucky that I am using gas for carbonation so the amount of yeast left after lagering isn't an issue.

On the other hand I will need to make sure I do a diacetyl rest as I can not rely on secondary carbonation.

I always do a diacetyl rest in primary anyway' date=' even though I use bottle fermentation for carbonation. I have the means to be able to so I might as well use it. [/quote']

I am planning to do it. I have the FV sitting on a heat mat with the temp controller set on 12'C, the brew is at 13'C. I'll take my first SG reading on day 7.

I want to try a lager soon but don't know where to start, so an interesting featured recipe pack would be a great start for me PB. I can easily brew way more than I drink so I don't mind having the FV and brew fridge tied up for a longer ferment.

I am planning to do it. I have the FV sitting on a heat mat with the temp controller set on 12'C, the brew is at 13'C. I'll take my first SG reading on day 7.

That's what I did, it was a few points off FG after 7 days so I ramped up the temp a few degrees. From what I've read you want to get the temp up while the yeast is still actively fermenting rather than after ferment has finished. Not having tried it after fermentation has finished I don't know what difference this makes. Left it there for another week and now it's sitting at 1C in the fridge until I get around to bottling it. [biggrin]

Archived