Coopers Community

American IPA

I posted this in a thread on the Brewing Blether probably should have posted it here.

I have a few specialty grains and hops left over from kits and bits brews and was going to use them tomorrow for an American IPA of sorts, this is the recipe below, any advice or feedback would be appreciated.

Mash 66c 60 min

Pale Ale Malt 4.5kg

Carared .28kg

Biscuit .26kg

Carapils .25kg

Caramalt .24kg

B Sazz 18gm 60 min

Cascade 20gm 60 min

B Sazz 10gm 15 min

Cascade 12gm 15 min

B Sazz 8gm Flame out

Cascade 12gm Flame out

Cascade 6gm dry hop day three/four

Yeast Us o5 18c Ferment

I think you have too much crystal which will dominate but saying that if you are using this years hops you have a nice balance of bitternes and malt.

You didn mention volume nor hop AA but a quick rough calc gets it around:

1.051 OG 1.014 FG ... 4.9% in the keg at 70% eff to a volume of 23L

39.2 IBU with Moteuka @ 7.9% and Cascade at 6.2%

And somewhere around 15 EBC or 8 SRM

I attempted my first AG yesterday [happy] Using no-chill so will pitch yeast tonight.

This is what I used...

5kg Pale Ale Malt

0.2kg light crystal

Attempted to get all my bitterness from late additions :)

10g Topaz and 10g Cascade @ 30mins

10g Topaz and 10g Cascade @ 20mins

10g Topaz and 10g Cascade @ 10mins

10g Topaz and 10g Cascade @ flame out

Will dry hop with more of the above (thinking 20g of each).

Attempted to get 19L batch, but I think I got about 16L into the can. There was a fair bit of room in the 20L jerry can so hope it's all ok. Got most of the air out.

Had some issues transferring it to the can - tried to use a siphon. Had the valve in the siphon fall out inside, and while trying to fix that the inner tube warped [pinched] We ended up just using my mates mouth to start the siphon [unsure]

Have to invest in a a tap for my pot

Good stuff Adam.[biggrin]

I reckon you'll be alright with having that head space in the cube. Given the wort is pretty much at boiling point when it is put into the cube, it effectively sterilizes it and any air that may be in there once you get however much wort into it. I wouldn't want say half a cube of air but I don't think a few centimetres would be much drama, especially if you're fermenting the next day. I've had a couple of batches where I haven't quite got enough wort to fully fill the cube and had no problems at all with them.

With regards to the tap, if you can get hold of a 3 piece ball valve it will make life much easier. I replaced the tap on my urn with one and now it's simply a matter of putting the hose over the pipe/nipple whatever it's called, turning the tap on and letting it flow. It usually transfers in about 3 or 4 minutes; I also have 25 litre cubes rather than 20.

Good stuff Adam.[biggrin]

I reckon you'll be alright with having that head space in the cube. Given the wort is pretty much at boiling point when it is put into the cube, it effectively sterilizes it and any air that may be in there once you get however much wort into it. I wouldn't want say half a cube of air but I don't think a few centimetres would be much drama, especially if you're fermenting the next day. I've had a couple of batches where I haven't quite got enough wort to fully fill the cube and had no problems at all with them.

I gave the cube a dose of Starsan earlier in the day anyway, so I'm not too worried about infections from that. Mayeb my mate's mouth though [lol]

With regards to the tap, if you can get hold of a 3 piece ball valve it will make life much easier. I replaced the tap on my urn with one and now it's simply a matter of putting the hose over the pipe/nipple whatever it's called, turning the tap on and letting it flow. It usually transfers in about 3 or 4 minutes; I also have 25 litre cubes rather than 20.

I also got a 25L cube just in case (and a 10L for small batches). I'm prepared for all sizes [joyful]

Adam' date=' that brew looks like it will be well tasty! Did you hit your target OG? How many IBUs did it work out at? [/quote']

Hey Reuben.

Will let you know when I measure tonight. RE the IBU's, I'm not sure - I plugged this recipe into BeerSmith, Brewmate and IanH's BIAB spreadsheet and all gave different IBU's due to the no chill factor. There was a big difference between all three. BS said around 50.

Archived