Coopers Community

Toucan Stout+

Winter's on its way, so it's time to start thinking stout why not. Actually ... it's probably already too late but I actually nearly ran out of beer recently and had to go on a brewing bonanza with no time to plan ahead.

So, from what I understand the usual recipe for Toucan Stout is ...

1.7kg Coopers OS Stout kit

1.7kg Coopers OS Dark Ale kit

1kg dextrose

Now, I don't want to be flat on my face after drinking just one of these bad boys so I think I'll swap out the 1kg dex for 500g light DME. Any foreseeable problems with DME instead of dex?

Next, I've still got some leftover chocolate grains so they're going in. I think it's about 200-250g worth. Is that too much?

Finally, let's make this an oatmeal stout while we're at it. I've read that, in order to do this, the oatmeal needs to be mashed. I don't have the means to do that, so this poses a problem. Can I just used home brand rolled oats? Do you think I could get away with steeping them at 70? Would it need to be steeped for longer than usual? Should I steep the oats first, then remove them and steep the chocolate grain?

I'll finish it off with fuggles I reckon. The oatmeal is my main concern, so any advice would be appreciated.

Hi there KR,

the toucan with OS Stout and Dark ale is pretty much my house stout. I never add anything else and its great as is. The ABV is still around 5%. Try it without dex or LME and see how you go. you can always add it to later batches if you want.

Rolled oats shouldn't be steeped. They need to be mashed with a base malt. I would just leave them out.

Steeping 250 grams of chocolate malt, and using 500 grams of light dry malt along with the two kits will make an awesome brew with plenty of body. Not sure I would bother adding any hops to it.

How about yeast? Pitching the two kits yeasts will turn out good, but the Coopers commercial yeast also works very well.

I think Nick is right in the money with his suggestion of the stout and dark kits as all you need in this brew. The chocolate malt could be fun but not neccesary.

From personal experience I think you should leave out the oats until you have some base malt to mash with.

Make sure to use both yeast packets. Also remember to age this one for 6 months or more before the final judgement of the brew.[rightful]

is it ok for body and head without anything extra?

Personally i reckon its a good solid beer as is, but you may have different tastes or expectations. Head retention is good early,but will improve with age, as will that creamy smoothness as Chad has pointed out. I dont know how it would taste after 6 months as nothing lasts that long with me, but after 3 months its a bloody nice drop.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, just finished off the Toucan Stout-. One can of OS Stout, one can of OS Dark Ale, fill to 23L, nothing else.

Actually after doing a few 10L boils it's quite refreshing to get the whole job done in about 45 minutes. Put the clips on the lid too - looking forward to seeing some volcanic action [cool]

Good luck with this. It tastes pretty nice when it's young, but does get a lot better after a few months when the bitterness mellows and the flavors meld a bit better. You can expect to end up with a brew which is about 4.5% - 5%. When carbonating it, remember to use less sugar than you would use normally. [cool]

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I recently made the mistake of running low - it was nearly a disaster but I've been brewing non-stop ever since. Right now I'm back at 85% capacity, which means I have 115 bottles of beer on the wall. It also means that if I start my Porter now I should have enough empties by the time it comes to bottle it.

• 3 weeks later...

I was just going back through the Recipe Resource and found this thread. This is the same brew I put down yesterday arvo. I'm brewing it for the father inlaw for his birthday in 4 weeks, it'll still be very young, but I think a tasting will be in order for sure. All the rave I've seen about this recipe I have pretty high expectations, just hope it lives up to it...

How is yours tasting KR?

It's showing great promise [smile] I'm doing the wrong thing of course and am having a bottle each week, even from the early stages. Part of this is my usual impatience, but part of me also wants to see how it evolved over time. One thing is for sure - if it ever gets a chance to fully mature it's going to be one hell of a good drink!

I was just going back through the Recipe Resource and found this thread. This is the same brew I put down yesterday arvo. I'm brewing it for the father inlaw for his birthday in 4 weeks, it'll still be very young, but I think a tasting will be in order for sure. All the rave I've seen about this recipe I have pretty high expectations, just hope it lives up to it...

How is yours tasting KR?

It'll taste great on his birthday Rohan....next years [biggrin]

after three weeks of reading this toucan best extra stout recipe i can admit i have a problem and have purchased the dark and stout from the coopers online store and am now patiently waiting for my kits to arrive......

question one I have a 60lt fermenter and a 30lt one and wanted to know if the 60 lt one will be too big eg not enough co2 to flush out the air during the ferment thus increasing the chance of infection

question two if i use the 30lt and it is in a 15-20 degree area will it go off like most people say it will as id rather use the 30lt as it has a tap and im lazy

question three ive just purchased some fuggle hops and wanted to know peoples opinions on hop methods times and ammounts i was thinking maybe 20g - 28g bittering (boil) for 60 mins then add some at the flame off maybe 5-10g for aroma?

this forum rocks btw and has kept me up everynight contemplating brews , brews and more brews [devil]

and one more thing can anyone shed some light on how long the online store takes to send things and if its by courier or aus post?

I ordered 2 recipe packs on Wed PM last week and they arrived by Aus Post on Monday.

Archived