Coopers Community

Dry Hop for Mild Ale??

Wal

I apologise if this topic has already been mentioned, I couldn't find anything on a search.

I put a batch of Coopers Mild Ale (as per instructions) down yesterday for a mate. Then I opened a bought one and wondered if a dry hop might enhance the experience. Problem is, I'm not sure which hop to try. Anyone got any ideas?

Well I managed to drop by the LHBS yesterday and unfortunately he was all out of Amarillo and Centennial, so I ended up going for 15g Cascade and 12g Galaxy (tea bags). I quite like both these hops so we'll see how they work out together in the Mild Ale.

I plan on chucking them in tonight...[love] [love]

That would be nice. Cascade & Galaxy go beautifully together [love]

Cascade is great in dark beers and I have always wanted to use galaxy in a dark beer like a black IPA.

Let us know how it turns out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, I had a taste of this one last night and there seems to be a bit of a problem. There is a real "plasticy" type of taste to the beer. The beer looks OK, smells OK just got this horrid flavour that renders it near on undrinkable. Anyone got any ideas what might have caused this, is it possible that it might have came from the hop tea bags?

Anyone got any ideas what might have caused this' date=' is it possible that it might have came from the hop tea bags?[/quote']

Did you try multiple bottles or just the one?

My latest batch, the first bottle i had was terrible, 2nd was bad but not as bad.. I thought i would have to chuck the whole batch out. I left it for 2 weeks and found the courage to try another and it was fantastic..!! One of my favourite brews so far. No idea why it was weird to start with, but the morale of the story is keep the bottles, and try again after 2-4weeks until making any drastic decisions.

Anyone got any ideas what might have caused this' date=' is it possible that it might have came from the hop tea bags?[/quote']

Did you try multiple bottles or just the one?

My latest batch, the first bottle i had was terrible, 2nd was bad but not as bad.. I thought i would have to chuck the whole batch out. I left it for 2 weeks and found the courage to try another and it was fantastic..!! One of my favourite brews so far. No idea why it was weird to start with, but the morale of the story is keep the bottles, and try again after 2-4weeks until making any drastic decisions.

Thanks Riley,

I have tried a few bottles, they are all much the same.

I might take your advice actually, I was just about to tip them out yesterday but ran out of time,, I even said to my wife this morning that I will be emptying a heap of bottles. But you might have just saved me - I will persist for another couple of weeks and see what happens.

Wal

I almost tipped my lager out when I found that alien squid floating in it on the first day a few hours after I pitched the yeast. But something in the back of my mind said just to leave it a few days and have a smell and taste test - turned out fine. The FG sample tastes like a typical Euro lager as well. Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is don't tip at the first sign of trouble, just give it some time and it may well sort out whatever the problem was, which hopefully yours does! [cool]

That would be nice. Cascade & Galaxy go beautifully together [love]

Cascade is great in dark beers and I have always wanted to use galaxy in a dark beer like a black IPA.

Let us know how it turns out.

Hairy - re the Cascade in Dark Beers - do you boil it in or do you just dry hop?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it got the better of me. I couldn't bear to think that I had had a failure, so I got some more ingredients and put the same recipe in the FV yesterday. The only thing I did differently was to remove the hop pellets from the little tea bag thingy. I will do the same when I dry hop in a few days.

It is starting to get cool in this part of the world (only 22 predicted today) so it is heater belt time for my brews.

Archived