Coopers Community

Making a basic American style IPA

dalet3

Does anyone have any tips on making an American style IPA like...

What the best coopers kit to use?

What selection of hops would be best?

Is it better to use an American yeast instead of the one provided?

My brewing knowledge is not great, the only brew i've made was a Coopers APA with dry hopped cascade hops, which turned out pretty good.

The best kit to use is the Coopers IPA because it is already quite bitter and will save you some hops. But you can use other base kits and hop them up. The draught kit is good for this and others have used the real ale kit.

Do you have any brewing software or IanH's Beer Designing Spreadsheet from Aussie Home Brewer? The best thing you could do is to download that spreadsheet and play around with the hop additions.

Hops - obviously US hops if you want it true to style but there is nothing stopping you from using Aussie or NZ hops either. What type of hops do you like? Is there a commercial beer you like that you could follow?

The kit yeast is fine if it isn't a big beer, but if you are making a stronger beeer (6-7%) then you will need more yeast. I like US-05 for my US pales and IPA's. It is a fairly boring yeast but it is a neutral yeast that allows the hops to shine.

Perhaps you could work out a recipe and post it up. It is sometimes easier to give advice when there is a starting point.

I agree with everything Hairy (although I do take exception to US05 being called boring [pinched] ....neutral yes, boring no [biggrin]).

I don't use kits much but I do like to have an IPA kit on hand if I want to throw together something quick and easy and TASTY [love] ....and as always these days, I just use PB2s Motueka Slam.

What more could you ask for in an American IPA? Australian kit with NZ hops [innocent] . Job Done [rightful]

although I do take exception to US05 being called boring

[lol]

I was hoping for a bite.

Don't get me wrong, I like US-05. It serves it's purpose in hoppy beers. Perhaps I should have said it isn't interesting rather than boring [innocent]

I think I came to this realisation when I tasted my Centenarillo Ale with US-05 and compared it to a mate's Centenarillo Ale with an English ale yeast. The latter added something more flavourful to the beer. Maybe he just makes better beer than I do [crying]

I have only made a few brews myself so far, but decided I wanted to make a couple of IPA's. Motueka Slam IPA seems like a great start, and easy.

For the second, I just thought about what kind of flavours I wanted after trying a few IPA's and some of the stronger Coopers beers.

When I figured out what I wanted, I downloaded the IanH spreadsheet (fantastic btw) and did some research on which hops would do what I needed, and went back and forth with Hairy to fine tune it.

The hops look different to what I put down as a base, but I am excited to get it started on Saturday.

So...just start somewhere and let the advice and experience of these guys turn it into what you really desire :)

Hi Gang,

I have to say that in my opinion the OS Real Ale kit is much better as a base for AIPA's. This kits is bittered with PoR (33.3 @ 21L) with no flav/aroma additions. This make for a good base for those late hop addition for flavour and aroma. Make sure to hit the AIPA hard with American style hops such as Cascade, Centennial, Columbus, Amarillo, or South Pacific hops such as Nelson Sauvin. Even German varities work well such as Perle and Magnum. The sky's the limit, really!

A guy can't even make a slight keyboard error without paying the price from the "Peanut Gallery". You're like a hawk![biggrin]

Hairy should be the 3rd muppet after Neg and Wal

[lol] It would never happen! Yoou can't have three up in the balcony. The third man-out would surly get blown up, or eaten by a moster, or something![wink]

Look out, Hairy! There might be a Big, blue, fuzzy moster with his eye on YOU

Well said Chad! I couldn't agree more [biggrin]

Man, you are fast![crying] A guy can't even make a slight keyboard error without paying the price from the "Peanut Gallery". You're like a hawk![biggrin]

I saw your post (or lack thereof) and I gave you 8 minutes to correct it.

The general rule in Australia is 5 minutes. If it hasn't been corrected after 5 minutes then it is open slather. I wanted to be generous and gave you a few extra minutes because you are a good bloke.

With regards to your amended post, I have never used the Real Ale kit. I need to give that a go.

Man, If I could make my fingers type out a simple thought for you guys in under 8 mins you guys would have all this Home brewing stuff all figured out by now![innocent] The fact is these hands of mine run a power saw for most of there day and are not too graceful on the keys as a result![crying]

Well said Chad! I couldn't agree more [biggrin]

Man, you are fast![crying] A guy can't even make a slight keyboard error without paying the price from the "Peanut Gallery". You're like a hawk![biggrin]

I saw your post (or lack thereof) and I gave you 8 minutes to correct it.

The general rule in Australia is 5 minutes. If it hasn't been corrected after 5 minutes then it is open slather. I wanted to be generous and gave you a few extra minutes because you are a good bloke.

With regards to your amended post, I have never used the Real Ale kit. I need to give that a go.

I wanted to be generous and gave you a few extra minutes because you are a good bloke. if you were a muppett youd get longer cos they only have four fingers un like 6 in most country places.[biggrin]

The best kit to use is the Coopers IPA because it is already quite bitter and will save you some hops. But you can use other base kits and hop them up. The draught kit is good for this and others have used the real ale kit.

Do you have any brewing software or IanH's Beer Designing Spreadsheet from Aussie Home Brewer? The best thing you could do is to download that spreadsheet and play around with the hop additions.

Hops - obviously US hops if you want it true to style but there is nothing stopping you from using Aussie or NZ hops either. What type of hops do you like? Is there a commercial beer you like that you could follow?

The kit yeast is fine if it isn't a big beer, but if you are making a stronger beeer (6-7%) then you will need more yeast. I like US-05 for my US pales and IPA's. It is a fairly boring yeast but it is a neutral yeast that allows the hops to shine.

Perhaps you could work out a recipe and post it up. It is sometimes easier to give advice when there is a starting point.

Thanks for the advice.

Was thinking of using cascade/citra hops. was hoping to try & create something like Sierra Nevada.

Any advice on hops would be appreciated.

It may not be a clone of SN Torpedo but cascade and citra will be a nice combo.

I'm of the opinion that it is pointless to try to replicate a beer as good as that anyway, as the possibility of being disappointed is high. So, change the hops slightly and you reduce the possibility of disappointment [joyful]

I plan to do something similar, but different hops very soon

Archived