Coopers Community

Imperial Rye IPA

Reuben

Hi everyone! I've got an Imperial Rye IPA packed with US hops planned for this coming weekend...

Super RIPA: Partial mash - 15 Litres

2.25 kg - Light dry malt extract - 45%

1 kg - Light Munich - 20%

1 kg - Rye malt - 20%

0.5 kg Dextrose - 10%

0.25 kg Caramalt - 5%

Mash at 65c for 60 mins

Hopping schedule:

Chinook 50g - 60 mins

Citra 20g - 10 mins

Mosaic 20g - 10 mins

Citra 40g - 5 mins

Mosaic 40g - 5 mins

Simcoe 40g - FO

Citra 20g - FO

Mosaic 20g - FO

Simcoe 60g - Dry hop

Citra 20g - Dry hop

Mosaic 20g Dry hop

350 grams of hops in this baby @ 23.3g per litre!

Yeast: US-05

Predicted OG = 1.091 (I usually expect low efficiency from BIAB)

Expected FG = 1.016 Presuming around 82% attenuation

ABV 9.8%

IBU: 105

This will be my first time using any of these American hops, and also my first time using rye malt. Hopefully this brew will have some great tropical flavours and a pungent US hop aroma. Also hoping the dextrose will help to dry it out a bit and boost the ABV.

Anyone got any feedback? Cheers guys [biggrin]

Cheers Hairy. I'll probably just pitch 2 packets of US-05 to be on the safe side. Ferment at about 20c and it should buzz along nicely. One tough part of this brew will be getting it all out of the boil pot without taking all the hop sludge with the wort. It'll also need a lot of oxygen in it. I think I'll get a really good whirlpool going while it cools, then siphon it through a strainer for good aeration. It really is an insane amount of hops to use...

That's a good dose of Rye! I brewed a RIPA with 500g of Rye and the finished beer displayed plenty of Rye spiciness. Hopefully, the Light Munich will carry enough enzymes to convert the rye as well??

Have you considered roasting the rye, for a little more complexity?

From your latest post, are you saying that you plan to introduce oxygen once the brew is cooled, rather than when cooling?

Some good points PB2! From what I've read, rye malt does seem to have enough diastatic power to convert itself. Apparently a malt with enough power to self-convert has a diastatic power near 35 \xb0Lintner (94 \xb0WK). The rye malt has about 120-150 WK. I know the light Munich should have enough too, but maybe it's worth adding a kg of pilsner malt and dropping 200 grams of light dry malt. I will be pushing the limits of what I can fit into the mash/boil pot, but this beer is all about pushing the limits anyways!

I have also read to expect the mash to get very sticky and that it'll take a lot longer drain the grain bag.

I haven't even thought about roasting the rye! Would you suggest roasting a small portion of it?

And finally, yes I did plan on oxygenating the wort after it has cooled by siphoning it through a sieve sitting over the FV. Is this a bad idea?

Perhaps conversion is not such a huge concern since the recipe has a good amount of malt extract...

Try cooking a small amount of rye(about a tbsp) in a pan until it smells like it's starting to burn like toast - it can produce an unpleasant aroma when first roasted.

It's important to leave it to cool and rest at least overnight.

Then bust it up and see if the aroma and flavour suits your taste.

Anything to agitate the cool wort will help increase the amount of O2, within limits - probably won't achieve much more than 4ppm, while optimum is 8-10ppm. Don't be too concerned as dry yeast copes with less than optimum O2 levels in the wort.

Anything to agitate the cool wort will help increase the amount of O2, within limits - probably won't achieve much more than 4ppm, while optimum is 8-10ppm. Don't be too concerned as dry yeast copes with less than optimum O2 levels in the wort.

What happens if you agitate hot wort? I'm led to believe it's not good practice?

What happens if you agitate hot wort? I'm led to believe it's not good practice?

Do a search for "Hot Side Aeration" and you will find a description along with numerous articles/threads on whether it is a myth or not.

I don't know whether it is a myth or not but I try to minimise it anyway. It may not be a myth but just not a great concern for homebrewers; especially those that don't age their beer. In your case Otto it will most likely be when you transfer the hot wort to the cube.

Cold side aeration (post fermentation) is definitely a no no.

PB2, don't some/most commercial breweries splash the crap out of their hot wort when transferring between tanks?

At the Brewhouse: hot wort, transferred from the kettle, is injected into the whirlpool at an angle to get the brew spinning. Initially, there's a fair bit of splashing but this soon settles down once the wort level is above the inlet.

Haven't looked into HSA to any extent. At home, hot wort is dropped from the kettle to cube with a fair bit of splashing going on - no ill effect to the finished beer.[cool]

Cold fluid has more capacity for taking on O2 (and other gases)than hot - so there is no value in agitating the wort until it is cooled.

HSA may be a reality for some brewers - just saying that I don't go out of my way to eliminate splashing the wort when it's warm to hot. My beer shows no wet cardboard / sherry like characters, unless it's been aged in bottle for several years - but most beer will oxidise in the bottle with extended time [biggrin]

This thread is the first place I've heard about Hot Side Aeration. From the looks of it I shouldn't be concerned. No one has pointed out any major issues with the recipe so I've ordered the ingredients!

Looking forward to the ultra US hop bomb devastation this brew weekend! [love]

• 2 weeks later...

Racked this to a secondary with the 100 grams of dry hops last night. Took a sample and the FG was about 1.014 down from 1.084, which works out at about 9.2%ABV!

Got strong citrus and tropical fruit aromas, as well as some alcohol heat, and the sample tastes like tropical fruit with a good malt backbone and is puckeringly bitter! [cool]

I plan to dry hop it for about five days before crash cooling for a week and racking to the bottling bucket.

One thing to note is that you lose a lot of beer due to the crazy amount of hops being used.. I might only get as much as 10 - 12 litres final product from a 15 litre batch as a result.

• 3 weeks later...

Just bottled this one.

OG - 1.084

FG - 1.010

ABV - 9.7%

Sample smells like pine and tropical fruit. Tastes amazingly bitter with tropical fruitiness. The hops sure did their jobs alright. Only got 11 litres out of a 15 litre batch because of them!

Looking forward to the first bottle in a few weeks. [cool]

• 5 weeks later...

Hey Reuben,

Have you sampled this one yet?

I've put down a couple of rye brews lately. Man, what a pain trying to get these things out of the kettle. The hops may be part of the problem but I would say that the rye plugs everything right up[pinched] .

Brewing is an adventure![cool]

Yes Canadian, I tried one two nights ago. The aroma is very strongly Simcoe backed up by with tropical fruitiness. It has a thick mouthfeel, which is suspect is from the rye. Finished out low though at 1.010, which is ideal for an Imperial IPA. Good malt sweetness, tropical fruitiness and intense bitterness!

And yes, rye malt is horrible to work with!!! I can't say that enough. I had about 50% rye in the partial mash. Apparently rice hulls can help.

Very happy with how it turned out, and plan to drink this one while it's fresh and hoppy. At 10%ABV though, some drunkenness is inevitable...[lol]

Hey Gang,

This is the recipe I put down the other day. I haven't given it a sample yet as it's only on day4. It's merrily bubbling away @ 19C with a cyclone of activity in the carboy.

Cat's Rye

4.5Kg Pale ale malt

.6kg Rye malt

.33Kg Crystal 40L

.172Kg Crystal 120L

10g Cascade (5.3%), Chinook (14.2) FWH

15g citra(14.8%) (whole leaf) FWH

10g Chinnok 60mins

12g Amarillo (7.8%)60mins

10g Cascade 5mins

15g Citra (WL) F-out

10g Chinnok F-out