Coopers Community

IPA recipe thread

DylanI

Hey all

I think I recall seeing a thread like this one for other styles. I'm hanging out to make an American IPA, and thought it could be cool to see what others have done.

If anyone has a good IPA recipe that they are willing to share, please post it below.

Cheers,

-Dyl

And to kick things off, here's the recipe for the only IPA that I've made. It's a black IPA:

To 23L fermented with Nottingham yeast

Malts:

1.7kg Real Ale, 1.5kg Dark LME, 0.5kg Light LME, 0.25kg med crystal, 0.25kg choc malt

Hops(in 6L boil):

all Citra, 15g for 30min, 25g for 15min, 35g dry hop

I forgot to take a FG reading, but I'd guess that it was ~5-5.5% and 50 IBU. It was also delicious.

Here is one I threw together some time ago. I had never used the Draught kit and bought it to make a pale ale. As I designed it, it kept getting bigger and bigger and ended up as an IPA.

It is a strong beer but it is nice to have one watching the footy in winter.

1.7kg Coopers Draught kit

1.5kg Briess Liquid Munich malt

500g Light Dry Malt

500g Dextrose

300g Victory Malt

Hops - Amarillo (9.2% AA) and Centennial (10.5% AA)

10g Amarillo @ 15 minutes

10g Centennial @ 15 minutes

15g Amarillo @ 10 minutes

15g Centennial @ 10 minutes

10g Amarillo @ 5 minutes

10g Centennial @ 5 minutes

25g Centennial - dry hopped

US-05 yeast

OG - 1062

FG - 1014

ABV - 6.93%

IBU - 58

If I were to make this again then I would change the LDM to 500g dry wheat malt. And the Munich malt can be changed to liquid light malt if you can't get it.

Hi all

I'm planning to make a big IPA (recipe below). This will be the first high gravity brew that I've done. So my question goes out to anyone who's done a high gravity beer (such as the RIS)... Is my IPA recipe a recipe for a volcano?

I've got a 'classic' Coopers FV and the new DIY one, which FV/approach will lead to the least mess?

I saw the destruction caused in Muddy's photos when he did the RIS. Can I replace my airlock with a hose that leads into a bucket? Do I bite the bullet and use the new FV, and start with a lower volume?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Cheers,

-Dyl

to 24L with US05 + 1 or 2 Coopers ale yeasts

Fermentables:

1.70kg Pale Ale

1.70kg Draught

1.50kg Light LME

0.40kg Med Crystal

0.10kg CaraPils

0.25kg Dex

6L boil:

20g Nelson Sauvin 60 mins

20g Nelson Sauvin + 20g Amarillo 5 mins

20g Nelson Sauvin + 20g Amarillo dry hop.

Vital Stats from ianh's spreadsheet:

IBU = 59

OG = 1073 (though it won't get that high)

FG = 1018

Alc% = 7.5

EBC = 20.3

Wow Dyl, that's quite a beer! [w00t]

I've never done anything over 1.060 so I couldn't tell you. However, I have had volcanic brews before and every single one has been a stout. Not only that, they were nowhere near my highest gravity beers.

Maybe someone can tell us more about volcanoes?

I've never had a volcano krausen. My dark beers have bigger krausens than my lighter beers though. Perhaps the dark malts have something to do with it; and the type of yeast of course.

I've brewed some beer starting in the low 1060's and they were lucky to get a krausen more than an inch.

I reckon you will be OK Dylan (but I'm not helping to clean it up if I am wrong).

Here's an IPA to think about. It has gone through a few changes and this is the latest result. It is excellent if I do say so myself.

Big Island IPA

1.7Kg OS Real Ale

1.1Kg LDM

566g Amber LME

150g 40L crystal malt

30g Oak Chips (sprinkled @ ferment)

20g Cascade (30mins)

20g Nelson Sauvin (10mins)

10g Cascade, N. Sauvin, Amarillo (dry hopped)

21L water

US-05

120g Dex (bulk prime)

I`ve posted this recipe before. It's my best IPA to date. Check out Lustys thread blow your own trumpet`` for details.

For Skookum (Canadian Eh!L) to put this up as the best recipe to come out of his brewery, that was enough for me to want to brew it. I currently have it brewing. So far, longish primary ferment, just threw the dry hop additions in a little while ago after 6 full days of solid ferment activity finally subsided. I put this down to all that shipwreck debris! [lol]

At least we now know what DylanI's "Brew A" is. [biggrin]

MASSIVE! [tongue]

Anthony.

Thanks for the recipes and advice guys. Now I just have to wait until it gets below about 35 degrees so I can brew this bad boy.

It's good to learn that it's typically stout that are volcanoes (which by coincidence are high gravity).

I've been on an IPA kick of late. In a recent Brew Your Own magazine, they said that nelson sauvin could be the next big thing in IPAs. So well done on being ahead of the curve Canadian Eh!.

I also got a book about IPAs by Mitch Steele, head brewer of the Stone brewery. It goes through the history of IPAs, and has a bunch of recipes for both historical and recent commercial IPAs. I highly recommend it!

I'm just bout to bottle this drop tonight

"Thankyou Come Again"

1 Can Draught

1 Can Pale Ale

1kg LDME

300g Dex

1 kit yeast (as nutrient)

30g Williamette 10min

30g Cascade F/O

30g Nelson Sauvin F/O

30g Amarillo F/O

Dry hopped day 6 with 25g ea Nelson Sauvin and Amarillo

OG. 1069

FG. 1012

:D

Hi Ivon T.

A very aromatic brew you have going there. I bet it smells yummy! [joyful]

By chance have you had a go at any grain steeping as yet? 150-200gms of Light Crystal grain would go very well in place of the 300gms of dextrose in your recipe IMHO.

Also may I ask, what yeast did you use to ferment the brew with?

Ohh btw... Are you & DylanI having a contest we don't know about atm, about who can brew the highest ABV% IPA? I think yours comes in at approx. 7.1% ABV in the bottle! [biggrin]

Let us know how it turns out. [cool]

Anthony.

150-200gms of Light Crystal grain would go very well in place of the 300gms of dextrose in your recipe IMHO.

I disagree, with the 2 cans + the added malt there is PLENTY of malt and the 300g addition of DEX can help it attenuate where the crystal will only add sweetness and not be of help.

Have at it soldier, the recipe looks fine to me as is.

Thats a big ferment, well done.

What yeast was it fermented with and how long did it take to get to FG?

Yob

Sort of a throw together using stock I had on hand.....

Yeast was US- o5 pitched at 20deg and was fermented at 18deg for a smidge over 3 weeks.

First brew to be brewed under temp control [happy]

It was also my first go using the IanH spreadsheet [happy]

Aromatic, good bitterness, light in colour - looking forward to cracking a bottle in a few weeks [happy]

I disagree' date=' with the 2 cans + the added malt there is PLENTY of malt and the 300g addition of DEX can help it attenuate where the crystal will only add sweetness and not be of help.[/quote']

I disagree. A 4.4kg malt base inclusive of two pre-hopped kit tins & 150gms of Crystal Malt is going to add undesired sweetness to that? Gimme a break! [roll]

Ivon T. The small addition of crystal malt I suggested to you, is mainly to add colour to the brew & bring it into line with levels approx. equal the styles of American IPA's. Attenuation isn't an issue & you can actually retain 150gms of the dex & still maintain the 7.1% ABV.

If colour doesn't matter, I agree the recipe is fine as it is. [cool]

Anthony.

I disagree. A 4.4kg malt base inclusive of two pre-hopped kit tins & 150gms of Crystal Malt is going to add undesired sweetness to that? Gimme a break! [roll]

1 can 1.2, 2 cans 2.4 + 1kg = 3.4 last time I did maths [roll]

With that recipe, there will be plenty of colour, I stand by adding crystal will add nothing of value.

well, by my simpleton maths anyway [lol]

That recipe is absolutely pushing the limits, as to what 1 packet of yeast can do well (at least I assume it was 1 packet and if so even then could have been underpitched)

If you plug in your OG and how many L it was into MR MALTY you will get a ballpark pitching rate for your brews.

I'd like to know how attenuation is not an issue, a brew like this you WANT to attenuate out..

Really not wanting to start another battle but the above is really poor advice considering the recipe BL.

Yob

The hopped cans are 1.7kg each. So it would be 4.4kg in total.

Regardless of the quantity of the malt, crystal isn't a replacement for dex; they do different things.

I find that if I am using a lot of malt extract then the brew really needs some dextrose to attenuate it and dry it a little.

I would have even pushed the dex to 500g [biggrin]

[lol] see how long it's been since I opened a can [lol]

Apologies for my simpleton maths [lol]

Stand by my other comments, and agree dex could have gone higher if Mr T had chosen to without negative effect.

[roll]

[lol] see how long it's been since I opened a can [lol]

Apologies for my simpleton maths [lol]

Stand by my other comments, and agree dex could have gone higher if Mr T had chosen to without negative effect.

[roll]

Don't worry about the simpleton maths. I may know the weight of Coopers kit but I needed a calculator to add them all together [innocent]

One can dance around the technical aspects of converting extract malt, dry malt powders & all grain malts into a singular calculation that really explains very little in terms of the impact of a small steeped specialty grain addition upon it.

Regardless of conversion figures, the Original Gravity of the brew hasn't changed, nor it's eventual EBC (Colour).

Thus my statement on predominantly altering EBC by the grain addition is a valid one.

I stand by what I said.

Anthony.

nor it's eventual EBC

is that the colour of one of the cans or two of them? I should think that pissy amount of grain in two cans will be barely noticed anyway... sigh

I stand by what I said.

Good for you, you can have that line if it helps you... [roll]

Im out, got brews to cube [w00t]

Yob

I disagree' date=' with the 2 cans + the added malt there is PLENTY of malt and the 300g addition of DEX can help it attenuate where the crystal will only add sweetness and not be of help.[/quote']

is that the colour of one of the cans or two of them? I should think that pissy amount of grain in two cans will be barely noticed anyway... sigh

So which is it? [unsure] [whistling

Anthony.

Archived