Coopers Community

Thomas Coopers IPA

G'day guys.

About 2-3 weeks ago I had the luxury of 2 empty FV's. One I had already planned out a rather complex brew for, the second I wanted something that had flavour & was quick that I could easily brew.

That second FV, I decided to brew Thomas Coopers IPA. And boy am I glad I did. [happy]

This morning, I realised that the brew had been in the bottle for about 2\xbd weeks, so I went into my storage area & plucked out a longneck & held it up to the light. YES, YES, the secondary sugar had dissolved.

In the fridge for you matey, & I'll have a look at you when i get home from work. [tongue]

I can honestly say (given the tastes I like in a beer), it is singularly the best tasting kit beer I have ever brewed.

The colour is awesome, the head retention & bead after just over 2 weeks is exceptional, the flavour is great & the bitterness level for what I like, I thought was near perfect.

I didn't muck with the suggested base recipe very much at all, & I brewed & bottled it after 8 days using the kit yeast provided for ferment.

It's very easy to get caught up playing around with structures & flavours upon a base kit or recipe. Sometimes it's nice to just trust what a commercial brewer has suggested with their product & brew it.

So happy am I with this brew, once I have my kegging system, it will be something I will keg regularly (with maybe some Amarillo & Cascade additions).

A challenge for PB2: To the best of my knowledge, there are no recipes in the "How To Brew" section of the website that use this kit as a base.

I personally would love to see what PB2 could offer up with his brewing knowledge using this kit as a base. [cool]

My compliments to the chef. [love]

Beer.

Hi Hairy. [happy]

Try:

Pilsener

And

Black Pils

And

Czech Pils

[biggrin]

None of those have the IPA kit in them Hairy! [roll]

However, the Black Pils, & the Czech Pils recipes I've already book-marked to brew in the future. [biggrin]

P.S. Have you ever tried the TC IPA Hairy? If so, what did you think?

Edit: Hahaha I just spotted your retraction. [tongue]

Beer.

There is an IPA recipe in the mid-strength section and in the strong section.

Also, do a search for PB2's Motueka Slam IPA.

Noted. I'm just going to put on my clown costume now... [lol]

P.S. You would think something would be in the Ale section though! [tongue]

Beer.

Thanks for the link AdamH.

I did manage to find it pretty easily via a search of the site as Hairy suggested.

Adam, if you haven't brewed the TC IPA as a basic k & k, I would recommend you do. You won't be disappointed. [cool]

Beer.

I recently made the Kilted IPA from the Mid Strength section. It has only been bottled for 2 1/2 weeks so I haven't tried it yet but at bottling time it showed great potential. This one I think will benifit from time in the bottle.

Love the IPA kit.

Have done the IPA Motueka slam - superb.

Done the Authentic IPA - superb.

And the basic IPA recipe is also superb.

My current version, an Authentic IPA hopped with Styrian Golding, is also superb.

Have another IPA can waiting to be used, not sure which way to go with it...tough decision, huh

Love the IPA kit.

[love] +1 Steve

Have done the IPA Motueka slam - superb.

I really need to give this one a go.

Have another IPA can waiting to be used, not sure which way to go with it...tough decision, huh

But, following the disappointment I experience when my kegged Stella IPA blew out on Sunday, I think I need to do an SS IPA first (Stella Slam IPA); same hop boil but more hops added after the Krausen resides. So perhaps I will do the two in tandem and pop them both into a keg, time to work out a schedule [biggrin]

Lusty, I converted my partial recipe to the kit/extract recipe below:

1.7kg Coopers IPA kit

1kg Light Dry Malt

400g Dry Wheat Malt

200g Victory Malt

100g Pale Crystal Malt

Hops - Motueka AA 7.5%

10g @ 20 minutes

15g @ 10 minutes

15g @ 5 minutes

20g dry hopped

US-05 yeast

21 litres

OG - 1053

FG - 1013

IBU - 73

It was my first use of Motueka so I took it easy; don't be scared to increase the late additions.

And after reading Scott's post I am keen to make it with Stella now.

Hairy....

....You are a beautiful man! [biggrin]

That beasty recipe is going down asap.

Thank you.

P.S. I just hope i can get hold of the hops. There seems to be a few out of stock/out of season atm. [pouty]

Beer.

Hi GregT5.

Beer,

Give Beerbelly a try on Prospect Road. They have had Motueka hops in there when I have been there.

Flowers only though, not pellets.

I actually buy about 80% of my stuff from there these days, & that is actually the place I am going to inquire about them.

I've never used flowers before, is there anything different about how to use them in place of pellets? Do you need more of them etc?

Beer.

20% more flowers than pellet by weight.. they are very hydrophobic so a weighted bag can be handy, and advisable given they have a tendency to block taps.

Im getting onto a source of type 45 pellets shortly [rightful]

20% more flowers than pellet by weight.. they are very hydrophobic so a weighted bag can be handy, and advisable given they have a tendency to block taps.

Im getting onto a source of type 45 pellets shortly [rightful]

So you would only use flowers for dry hopping, not advisable for use in a hop cook? [unsure]

Beer.

Hey Gang,

I've got this one in my second FV right now.

Fall Day IPA

1.7Kg TC IPA

1.6Kg LME

21L water (10L hard tap for the boil & topped up with RO)

fuggles 10g (20mins), 5g ()mins)

EKG 10g (10mins), 5g (0mins)

3 pkg Kit yeast

30g Oak chips (sprinkled @ ferment)

0G 1.053 FG 1.014 ABV% 5.7 IBU 50

It seems promising.

Archived