Coopers Community

Schwarzbier/Black Pils advice

Lotm

Planning on doing a Schwarzbier/Black Pils style brew this weekend. So this is what I am thinking:

Pilsner Kit

Dark Dry Malt - 1.0Kg

Crystal Malt- 200g

Chocolate Malt- 30g

Saflager S-23

Fill to 21L

I'm contemplating steeping 15-20g Hersbruker as I have some left over.

IanH's spreadsheet says that I will probably be a little low in EBC (I can live with that). I think OG is where I want it to be.

I have never steeped grain before so I have a couple of questions:

Do the quantities of grain seem reasonable?

How long should I steep the grain?

I have read the grain should be steeped at 76\xb0C, is this temp correct?

How accurate do I need to be in hitting that temperature?

Does this temperature need to be constant during steeping?

Do I bother sparging after steeping?

Do I bother with the hops?

My apologies for the multitude of questions. I have read plenty of posts but want to ask people I trust.

Many thanks.

[happy]

Hi Lotm

EBC seems fine to me (if 300g of choc malt, not 30g?) I made a dark lager using the OS lager kit, and used crystal and chocolate malts, with hallertau (thanks to Chad) here's the recipe

Specialty grains should be put in at 70\xb0C and steeped for 30mins, then the liquid is boiled for 1 hour (without the grains in to kill any bugs). I have been keeping the heat on, but most of the guys say chuck the grain in and don't worry about the temp (make sure they are crushed/cracked).

I sparge, but wait to see what the others say - don't squeeze the bag, apparently that's bad - and a few beers I did squeeze have some funny tastes I'm attributing to tannins [annoyed]

With the darkness I don't think it would hurt to add a little extra hops - the darker the beer, the more hops you need to balance it out. Maybe if you use 10g of the hersbruckers at 30mins to go in the boil, this will add bitterness and a little extra flavour (not too much though).

But again, wait for a second opinion on this, cos I'm not all that experienced yet.

Do you have the ability to brew at 13\xb0C?

I am not too concerned about maintaining a specific temperature when steeping specialty grains. I will heat the water to 70-75 degrees, add the grains (which will drop the temp a little), put the lid on and leave it fr 30 minutes. I will occasionally give the grain bag a few dunks during the process though.

Adam, what do you mean by darker beers needing more hops to balance them out?

I've just set up my fridge and thermostat setup. This will be my first go at brewing with real temp control. [biggrin]

Look out!! The Trooper has a brew fridge & temp control! [lol]

I put my first brew in my temp controlled fridge this past weekend. It's been brewing away like a champion! That reminds me, dry hop addition tomorrow. [biggrin]

Good luck with it all Lotm! [cool]

Beer.

I mean the bitterness will need to be higher if it's a darker beer, because of the (roasted) malty-ness, right?

e.g. A Black IPA will have a higher IBU than a standard IPA

Ah, OK I see where you are coming from. You want the hop bitterness to shine though in an IPA as that is the focus of the style. The IPA was a good example.

I don't know if it is really an issue for a swartzbier. I am happy to be corrected though by anyone that actually knows what they are talking about [biggrin]

I may not know what I am talking about - usually I just fart words [lol]

It's almost a dark German Pilsner isn't it? It might be alright, I was just suggesting to check it out [pouty]

Koestritzer Schwarzbier, which is a ridiculously good beer, has an IBU of approx. 26 - the TC Pilsener can would be approx. 22 made to 23L.

Here's some more info on Schwarzbier recipe's from BYO mag. There are some extract recipes there, which you can borrow from.

If you have the ability to do a partial mash, using the munich malt would probably help get to style better, but would not be absolutely necessary.

Hiya Lotm.

I only noticed this just recently. When you open IanH's Spreadsheet, it opens up in the "MAIN" tab.

On the TAB options down the bottom of the spreadsheet, next to the "MAIN" tab, you will see the "BREWDAY" tab. Highlight that TAB once you've entered your recipe in the "MAIN" tab, the information then calculated in this TAB, will tell you the best way to prepare & brew it!

How cool is that?!! I say "Way Coool"! [cool]

Excuse my noobness to the spreadsheet if you already knew this. [innocent]

Good luck with the recipe Lotm. [biggrin]

Beer.

There's also a "Hop Concentration Factor (HCF)" option on the main page of that spreadsheet. It changes the IBU calculation depending on the size of the boil. I don't know if it's necessary to use it or not, but sometimes it can give vastly different IBUs depending on whether it's set to YES or NO. I will say that when I was doing extract recipes and using the spreadsheet, I always had it on YES, and my beers all turned out pretty much what I was expecting.

There's also a "Hop Concentration Factor (HCF)" option on the main page of that spreadsheet. It changes the IBU calculation depending on the size of the boil. I don't know if it's necessary to use it or not' date=' but sometimes it can give vastly different IBUs depending on whether it's set to YES or NO. I will say that when I was doing extract recipes and using the spreadsheet, I always had it on YES, and my beers all turned out pretty much what I was expecting. [/quote']

I will check it out.

Just an update on this recipe. Day 8 in the FV. FG seems to be 1013. Will check again tomorrow to be sure. Tastes awesome. Would be happy to drink it right now. But will restrain myself. [rightful] I love this hobby[love]

• 4 weeks later...

Update on this brew.

Recipe ended up as follows:

Thomas Coopers Pilsner Kit

1Kg DME - dark

100g Crystal

100g Choc malt

15g hersbrucker boiled for 10 mins

Filled to 21L

2 X W-34/70

Shared one with a mate. Under carbed at present. But I love it. My mate is demanding I brew this one all year round, non stop.

I tried a black lager last night, I think it was done by the Burleigh Brewing Co or something, I can't remember what it was called but it was some kind of black coffee lager. It wasn't bad actually.

I'd write more about what it tasted like, but I can't remember except that it was nice. [lol]

Archived