Coopers Community

PB2's Nelson's Light

I followed the recipe to the letter, up until I had to strain off the liquid from the mix, then things got interesting, I was glad at that moment I live alone, otherwise I probably would have lost my 'brew in the kitchen privileges'. I made a bloody mess but I got it sorted in the end.

I definetely hope PB2's note's on the recipe about the bitterness mellowing in the bottle hold true, first taste was like a punch in the mouth [pinched]. Here's hoping it's a success.

I think a lot of what you are experiencing with the first taste "like a punch" was as much just the hop taste as the bitterness. Both centennial and nelson sauvin are quite "punchy" flavours.

My money is on you enjoying it once it has had a month or two in the bottle.

Hi guys & gals.

Just a quick update on my progress with this brew. Bottled it today after 2 weeks in the FV. I always pour about half a glass out & tip it down the sink before I begin bottling, I tasted this amount before tipping it, & it did seem a little bitter, but I put that down to that portion having a settled element of trub in it.

I do hope the bitterness is not as forward once the brew has been in the bottle for a month or so, as the aroma displayed a really nice fruit salad like smell from dry hopping the Nelson Sauvin hops.

For those interested, I'll update again in about 2 weeks once a basic secondary ferment has completed.

Beer.

I always pour about half a glass out & tip it down the sink before I begin bottling

Why? Is this an OCD thing or something? You know turn the lights off and on 3 times, spin around, tip out half a glass, bottle.

Why waste beer like that unless you are taking a hydrometer reading?

As for the bitterness thing, I think you may be describing the nelson flavour. I wouldn't call this brew particularly bitter but I might just be immune. I can guarantee that it'll taste good if made with care.

....Why waste beer like that ...?

I squeeze out every last drop. A hydro reading to confirm the SG, then everything right down to the trub goes into the keg or bottle. My regular yield, based on bottle size, is 21.75 litres. If only there was a way to squeeze another litre out of the trub [innocent].

PS I'll only discard the first half glass from the keg if it has been a week since I used that particular tap, waste not want not.

• 2 weeks later...

For those interested...

...I'll update again in about 2 weeks once a basic secondary ferment has completed.

Secondary ferment has barely completed, but I just had to taste it for flavour.

Two thumbs up. [happy]

It will only get better with age too. The base recipe has soo much scope for variants as well.

My Dad should love it! [joyful]

If anyone is looking for a "Behave yourself" beer to brew, I would seriously suggest you give PB2's "Nelson's Light" a go!

Hats off & a bow to you PB2. [biggrin]

If anyone is looking for a "Behave yourself" beer to brew' date=' I would seriously suggest you give [b']PB2[/b]'s Nelson's Light a go!

I am very tempted, it sounds really good. Did you quote the ABV anywhere Lusty, I had a look through the thread but couldn't see it.

All I need to do is find some room in my already full running list, timing will also be the key as this one looks perfect for the keg.

Hi Will.

Since you are kegging, just follow the recipe as is, & according to IanH's spreadsheet you should end up with a final ABV of 2.9% (3.3% ABV if you bottle).

At the time, I wanted to brew a true light beer under 3.0% ABV in the bottle for my father, so I substituted the 1.5kgs of dry malt powder for 500gms of Coopers liquid malt extract & 900gms of dry malt powder to bring the final bottled ABV down to 2.9%.

An interesting point to note, is that because the Original Gravity of the brew is already quite low (approx 1.028), it isn't necessary to throw a whole heap of yeast at it. I actually used a spare 7gm sachet of Coopers Ale yeast I had, & it did the job perfectly. Even Mr. Malty's calculator agreed with the required portion size for this brew.

If you want to do a full-strength version of this recipe, Muddy has a great recipe to follow >> HERE <<

I hope that helps.

Beer.

• 4 years later...

Hi guys.

On a very rare occasion, early today I bottled a batch of this beer. Suffice to say I'm glad I keg the bulk of my beer these days as despite some assistance from my flat mate & his young son, I still found the practice time consuming, arduous & painful. pinchedtongue

The beer itself smelled & tasted terrific (as usual) from the FV sample I examined prior to bottling.

Dad will love it when I present him with 2 cases of it on his birthday in a few weeks time. happy

The extra 4 longnecks I bottled will however never see his lips... biggrin

...Brewer's privilege & all, you know how it goes. whistling

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a follow up to my previous post.

My father has been sending me texts intermittently since I presented him with 2 cartons of stubbies & a couple of longnecks of the Nelson's Light in early January for his birthday.

I quote...

"Your beer is great"

"This beer is mothers milk"

It's been 10 days since I gave him the beer. Last night I emailed him & asked him how many he had left.

He replied this morning with, "It's been hot. 12 left. Haha."

lol

Priceless. biggrin

Cheers,

Lusty.

It's been 10 days since I gave him the beer. Last night I emailed him & asked him how many he had left.

He replied this morning with' date=' "It's been hot. 12 left. Haha."

[img']lol[/img]

Priceless. biggrin

Cheers,

Lusty.

Classic, best you brew him another couple of cartons worth mate, gotta keep the old man hydrated.

I'll be putting both PB2's and Muddy's full strength version down over the next few weeks. Cant wait to give these a try.

Archived