Coopers Community

PB2's Nelson's Light

Hiya guys & gals.

Today I put down PB2's "Nelson's Light". (A brew for my Dad)

This also happened to coincide with being the first non-kit brew & grain additive brew for me, all rolled into one.

At this point Beerlust Fear Factor = Zero. Bring it on! [biggrin]

No I admit I was maybe a little nervous. Anyways, I followed the recipe to the letter. No deviation. TO THE LETTER.

I must admit I did get a little nervous after the grain had steeped for 30mins. It seemed very reddish, & when stirred, a muddy dark brown (As seen below)

NelsonLht%20Wort.jpg

At this point I questioned whether my brewshop had given me the correct EBU Crystal Grain that I had asked for. (I'm still not certain) [unsure]

I will say, that once stirred & added into the FV with the other ingredients, the colour certainly lowered to somewhere near what I was expecting.

Ohh yeah, before I forget, at the point of straining this basic wort mix into the fermenter, I wish I had placed the grain in a steeping bag. I had to strain the mix in two batches, so much was the solid element of the mix. My strainer filled up to a point I couldn't strain anything further through it after pouring about 2\xbd litres of the mix. [pinched]

Well it's all in the FV now, so I guess we'll see how it goes.

Right now I have two totally 'Out of the Ball Park' brews in my 2 FV's, that I've never done before, & have NFI how they are going to turn out, or taste.

...and I couldn't be more excited! [wink]

I'll update how it all ends up.

Beer.

That reddish dark brown color is pretty normal for steeped crystal grains. It looks darkish because it's only in a small amount of water compared to the full batch. Which type of crystal did you get, or rather, ask for? It can be a bit of a pain in the arse straining it... it's a different method on that recipe to the one I used for crystal, I used to steep them in another pot then just strain the resultant liquid into the pot that I boiled the hops in as part of the hop boil wort, rather than boiling the hops first and then chucking the grains in after that. This also allows the resultant liquid to be boiled and kill off any bugs that may have been lurking in the grains. It was still a pain getting it into the FV though because the hop matter would block up the strainer quite quickly.[lol] It would regularly take me 5 or 6 goes at it before I got it all out of the pot and into the FV.

Hiya Otto Man.

Thanks for the reply. I saw you on & hoped you would post something. [happy]

I'm glad that reddish brown colour is normal. I figured it must be, just wasn't sure, having never used pure grain before.

I asked for a 120EBU (approx.) crystal grain.

Your steeping methodology sounds like a good idea. Steeping the grain separately. Will do in future. [rightful]

Without knowing the quantity of hops & grain you are now brewing with, I would still say there is a better way of straining your base wort into the FV. I'd go nuts if I had to clear & re-pour my strainer 5-6 times! [pinched]

Thanks for the advice Otto Man! [happy]

Beer.

Never read Nelson's Light recipe before but looks like a nice introduction to non kit brewing which i was looking for.Now what do i do to put some alcohol into it.(my dad has passed away)[ninja] [ninja]

No worries mate! Yeah my last extract brew I steeped dark crystal + choc grain, it came out a really bloody nice dark ruby reddish/brown type color in the boil pot. I'm not sure where 120EBC is on the scale.. probably about medium crystal I'd guess. So that color is pretty much what to expect.

There probably is a better way of straining than what I did. Even if I had a strainer the same grade but bigger it would have taken less times. But anyway, can only work with what you have.

It's different with all grain though, at least with the BIAB method, all the grain is in the bag, and the holes are so tiny that none of the grains get through it. The hop boil is done in a hopsock suspended in the wort, (I'll post a photo of it) so a lot of it stays out of the urn. Some still gets through though. Then simply drain the wort from the urn into a cube, leaving any hop trub behind in the urn, there's no need for straining.

Nice big cook pot Otto Man!

Clever little strainer for the hops too. (I'd slide it a bit further toward the middle of the cook pot though. The rim looked to be maybe of a hard plastic variety. Unless you like the melted plastic flavour, I would keep it away from the cook pot edges. [innocent]

Thanks for the pic. Very helpful. [joyful]

Hiya Ash.

Sorry about your Dad no longer being around. [sad]

To increase the alcohol volume of this brew, you need to add more fermentables into it. Basically, adding more malt, a little more grain & possibly a little more hops.

I've not done a brew with grain before, so I can't give you any definites on the increase of grains to build up this recipe. On a malt level, I'd be adding a good 500gms-1kg of it. Most full-strength brews have upwards of 1kg of additives mixed with a base 1.7kg kit tin to attain an alcohol level of 4.5%+

I, along with many on this forum, use this Brew Calculator to give a basic idea of what our brew mix will eventually produce in terms of Alcohol By Volume, & eventual Final Gravity we should look to bottle at.

Use this, & it will certainly help you with your early stage brewing.

Beer.

looks like a tasty recipe mate.

Im not sure why you had problems straining with such a small amount of grains, I use the same method (no grain bag) and regulary strain over 500g in a standard sized strainer, maybe you need a larger one??

Although I have seen the debate many times on many different forums regarding boiling your strained grain wort I see no reason why you wouldnt, particulary if your boiling hops anyway.

I have read that 70\xb0 is not hot enough to kill everything but I have also read that it is....I say better safe than sorry for the sake of the small amount of effort involved.

....Also enjoying reading Kelseys AG antics, good stuff!!

Yeah, that strainer/hop sock thing just has a mind of its own once the wort starts boiling[lol] It started in the middle, but the way the liquid moves when boiling, it pushes it to the edge anyway. It is a plastic rim on it, I noticed no melting though; it's probably made from heat resistant plastic given its use, similar to microwaveable bowls or something.

That boiling pot/kettle is actually a 40 litre Crown hot water urn. It has a concealed element in the bottom. I was quite impressed with how simple it makes doing all grain recipes.[biggrin] And if we ever have a massive group of tea drinkers descend on the house it can be of use to them as well[lol]

Yeah' date=' that strainer/hop sock thing just has a mind of its own once the wort starts boiling[lol'] It started in the middle, but the way the liquid moves when boiling, it pushes it to the edge anyway.

Spot on. It does the same thing with open cooked hops. When the buggar starts to mass hop flem (flem?) over to one side, I generally give the cook a good stir again to get that back into mix. [ninja]

And if we ever have a massive group of tea drinkers descend on the house it can be of use to them as well[lol]

Should that day ever come, don't mix your tea bags up with your hops bags, or it could end up being a total disaster! [lol] [tongue]

Beer.

Otto Man,

I just thought of a cure to stop your hop strainer moving about during your cook.

Seek out a pair of "Thumb screws" with a barrel diameter wide enough to slide over the fixed slide bar above the cooker. Slide one on each side of your hop strainer & tighten them. That will stop your hop strainer moving about during the cook.

[biggrin]

Beer.

Either that or just drill a couple of holes apart at an interval wide enough to allow the two hooks to sit inside them, and put in a couple of screws to stop the hooks sliding all the way across. The edges of that bar are flattened so it won't flip over. But I guess if the plastic doesn't melt, it's no big deal anyway.

Never read Nelson's Light recipe before but looks like a nice introduction to non kit brewing which i was looking for.Now what do i do to put some alcohol into it.(my dad has passed away)[ninja] [ninja]

Hey Ash,

Check out Muddy's bastardisation of PB's recipe. I've made it once and it was awesome. I've alway been meaning to make it again.

Muddy's Full Nelson Ale

Check it out![rightful]

Just chuck your hops straight into the urn Kelsey. No stuffing around with hop socks then and less equipment to clean afterward and the use of a whirlfloc at the end helps settle it all to the bottom but will in time anyway [joyful]

If you want to use it though don't worry about the plastic touching the sides. The rim of the urn doesn't get hot enough to melt it anyway. [rightful]

The rim of the urn doesn't get hot enough to melt it anyway. [rightful]

Yeah, that's sorta what I was thinking. It does get warm, but it's not in direct contact with the hot wort or the heating element (obviously) [lol] I do like the hop sock though, not really sure why.. but I will try the "commando" style on a brew and compare.

I'm just curious Otto... where is the drain (or tap) on that cooker? (If it has one?) Is it underneath or on the side, or do you just empty it from the top?

The reason I ask is that would be a determining factor on whether I would bother with a hop basket/sock when using it.

Beer.

I enjoy brewing more than drinking (blasphemy I know [crying] ) so after bottling the lemon weizen last week and having enough brewed to get me through summer I was going to hang up the brew gear until after summer where temp control is a lot easier. But then I keep seeing threads and posts about PB2's Nelson light and links to Muddy's full strength and how good the stuff is.

So I've just been on the net and ordered the goodies (nearest LHBS is just a bit too far to justify a road trip).

Nelson Sauvin hop pellets, centennial hop pellets, CraftBrewer American Ale yeast and Crystal Malt Pale (Thomas Fawcett) are all on the way. Hopefully I got the right ingredients, looking forward to my first brew without a standard kit can. My 9th brew was my first foray into hops and that tastes great, number 12 will be my first crack without the can. Happy days [biggrin]

I don't find temp control particularly difficult in summer with my wet towel around the fermenter method. The FV is sat in under the house near the garage where the temp doesn't get quite as hot as outside, if it does get too bad I put a fan on it. But if you don't have an area like that, it might make it a bit harder. I do have a fridge I could convert but it's full of the olds' bloody wine[pinched]

Last summer I brewed right through and got the temp control sussed pretty well. I can do it but it's a hassle I can do without by brewing back to back in the cooler months. My problem is I keep seeing recipes and techniques I want to try, inevitably they exceed my capacity to consume the product. It's a horrible situation to be in [biggrin]

Hiya ChrisF9.

PB2's "Nelson's Light" is a really good recipe to follow as your first venture out away from kit brewing. That's why I chose it to be my first non-kit brew. When I read the recipe, I said to myself, yes this is definitely worth putting down. Great hop flavours & a solid malt background even for a light beer.

I threw in the dry hop addition yesterday at day 5 into the brew along with late additions into a "Hoppy Pilsner Ale" I also having brewing at the moment.

Fermentation has stopped, & I must admit there is more trub than I am used to seeing.

I'll bottle them in just over a weeks time once the late hop additions have had sufficient time in the brew to add their aroma/flavour.

Good luck with yours. [smile]

Beer.

Well I've got the recipe and the ingrediants to give this a crack.

The recipe calls for

1.5kg Coopers Light Dry Malt (3 x 500g)

300g Crystal Malt

25g Centennial hops

20g Nelson Sauvin hops

25g Nelson Sauvin hops

Coopers commercial yeast culture or an ale yeast of your choice

But I have available now-

90 grams hop pellets for each hop,

500 grams of Crystal Malt Pale (Thomas Fawcett)

plus the LDM and an American ale yeast.

It's my first attempt at a non-kit brew, should I just stick to the recipe and not muck with it and have left-over hops/grain, or, can I just crack each vacuum pack open and use it all?

I probably won't do another brew until I do some damage to the supply already brewed up so left-over ingredients may just get wasted. But, I don't want my first grain brew to be a monster either...

Stick to the recipe or throw it all in???

Stick to the recipe and see how it goes.

90g of Nelson Sauvin plus 90g Centennial in a light bodied mid-strength may be a smidge over the top. Actually probably more than a smidge [biggrin]

Any usused hops and can stored in the freezer. I put them in zip lock bags and expel the air before closing.

The extra 200g of grains won't last long but since the cost of those grains are about $1 it isn't a big deal.

Archived