Coopers Community

Cascade Pale Ale (AG)

Hey people,

I went into Craftbrewer yesterday to grab an urn, bag and hop sock for BIAB (getting the other equipment tomorrow), and they gave me this simple recipe and instructions for how to brew it to sorta 'get started' with AG brewing. I've put it into IanH's BIAB spreadsheet, I think it should be pretty nice for a first brew. I'm not sure when I'll be brewing it yet, but definitely looking forward to it!

60 mins mash @ 66\xb0C:

3.7kg BB Ale Malt grain

0.5kg BB Aust Wheat Malt grain

0.5kg Weyermann Munich I malt grain

0.3kg Medium Crystal

Mash out @ 75\xb0C for 10 mins

Bring wort to boil and add

Hops:

35g* Cascade @ 60 mins

20g Cascade @ 15 mins

20g Cascade @ 0 mins (Steep)

1x Whirlfloc tablet 15 mins from end of boil.

US-05 Yeast

23 litre batch.

Transfer to cube and let cool naturally (No chill) before adding to fermenter and pitching yeast.

*I had to adjust the bittering hops to get to the 30 IBUs the recipe calls for because the AA% on my Cascade is less than quoted in the recipe, so I've put my schedule down, originally it was 28g bittering.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[lol] Sorry, it stands for Brew In A Bag. It's a simpler way to do all grain brewing without having to fartarse around with mash tuns and sparging and whatever else you have to do traditionally. All the mashing is done in the kettle in the bag, simply remove the bag full of grains when done mashing and then boil your hops.

Oh No Kelsey, it's all a slippery slope from here now. Welcome to the dark side.

You are going to wonder why you never did it earlier. So easy for a much better result, that's for sure. You might like to have a look around HERE too.

I make 26L from a 40L urn without the need to do anything like sparging or MaxiBiab etc. 37L water into the urn and adjust your recipe and Bob's your uncle. [love]

Ross at Craftbrewer knows his recipes so I have no doubt this will be a great one to start with. Very similar to my first [joyful]

One thing I'd suggest though is to use only 1/2 whirlfloc. I have no idea why CB would have suggested a whole one. I use 1/2 for 26L @ 10 minutes and it works a treat. Too much Whirlfloc will give you "fluffy" crap in the bottom and not settle out as expected.

There's one good reason why I never did it earlier - I had a shite job and no money and couldn't afford the equipment. [lol] I wanted to get into it sooner. But that all changed in August so I saved up some cash and now I have all I need to do it. I got the mill and grains etc today plus some StarSan, but I completely forgot to get a cube[pinched] Would one of those 20L cube things from Bunnings or wherever work or would it better to get one from CB? I don't mind going there again, I'm on broken shifts so it makes it easy.

Yeah I was wondering about that whirlfloc, it does say a whole one on the recipe but I always thought it was half a tablet for a batch. I'll go the half tablet I reckon.

But anyway, thanks for the advice Bill [happy] Can't wait to get into it!

Well done mate! Say hello to a totally customised brew and goodbye to all your free time & space! [lol] [lol] [lol]

I use bunnings cubes and they work a treat.

Whirlfloc is great, but as Bill said, the usual dosage is 1/2 tablet @ 10mins.

BIAB is awesome. I bought an esky a while ago now with the intention of going 3V but my beer has been turning out so well, I can't see myself bothering in the near future.

Congrats again Kelsey.[cool]

Yeah Kelsey, the Bunnings one is fine. Personally I do like the cubes though and when you get a few you can stack them as needed, but that is just me. [cool]

Instead of buying an empty cube I bought FWKs and obviously fermented the wort and used those cubes. Best of 2 worlds then and Bacchus (Craftbrewer) has some nice FWKs.

Next timer you're at Craftbrewer you might want to pick up a few packets of THESE. It's the same as US05 but cheaper and handy to have a few spare.

With the 26L I do I fill 3 large V8 juice bottles as well as a cube. Just boil these for 10-15 minutes and fill with wort before filling the cube.

I'm doing a pale ale today myself and just milled my grain and will mash in shortly [ninja]

Thanks Phil! Yeah I'm thinking about actually doing up this one tomorrow and cubing it until I have enough empties again to make another brew. How long can you leave it in a cube? It'll probably be a few weeks before I have enough empties to put a batch in the FV again. Dad's actually just gone off possibly to Bunnings so I asked him to grab a cube if he does[lol] , otherwise I'll just go there tomorrow and pick up one or two.

I did see those FWKs yesterday when I was in there but I didn't pay much attention to them... I will have to check them out also next time I'm there. That yeast idea sounds good too Bill, I'll do that, just keep them in the fridge yeah? I'm pretty happy to finally be able to get into all grain and looking forward to making some excellent beers.[biggrin]

I did see those FWKs yesterday when I was in there but I didn't pay much attention to them... I will have to check them out also next time I'm there. That yeast idea sounds good too Bill' date=' I'll do that, just keep them in the fridge yeah? I'm pretty happy to finally be able to get into all grain and looking forward to making some excellent beers.[biggrin']

Yeah mate just keep the Yeast in the fridge and with regards to lifeline of a cube of wort then I know of people who has left them for 2+ years without any issues.

What's HERMS??

Anyway, I just realised I haven't got a whirlfloc tablet. And nothing's open to get one from either.[pinched] Is there anything else I could use in its place or would it be better to just not use anything? I've heard of using gelatin .. we have some of that in the cupboard..

I never used Whirlfloc in my first couple and they turned out okay, but I wouldn't go without it now. It really does help you keep the crap from your kettle out of the cube, and gives a clearer beer. I've not used gelatine before, but I think I remember hearing that Bill is a fan, so he may be able to direct.

Cube life, if filled up to the brim and scalding hot at time of sealing should be huge. Longest I've had one sit is for a month, and it smelled the same as when the boil had just finished. [love]

The use of gelatine and whirlfloc are for completely different purposes. Simplified.... Whirlfloc settles your crap in the kettle whereas gelatine settles your crap post ferment.

If you can't get any whirlfloc or Kopperfloc, which is similar, then just don't bother using it. After your boil just let it sit a little in the kettle before cubing it. It is not absolutely necessary to use it. However, it does help.

Ah I see. No worries. I'll just go without it then for this brew. I've just finished milling all the grains, so time to start mashing. But I might have a beer first[biggrin] Bunnings didn't have any cubes when I went there this morning, but the camping shop up the road did, so I grabbed a couple. Everything's in place now!

Let us know how you go.... one thing I just thought of, do you have a sky hook?... have you thought about how you are going to lift the bag from the urn?... have you thought about how you are going to get the wort out of the urn?....

Just a few things some beginners forget until it is too late.

I can recommend a 3 piece ball valve. I'd be lost without mine and fits straight into where the tap is on the crown urn no probs. Just need a nipple, couple of ss washers and a couple of silicone washers. Makes life easier [innocent]

Yeah will do[happy] I'm sure we do have a skyhook, we seem to have everything in this house [lol] I do have a piece of silicone tubing to connect to the tap to get the wort out after the boil but CB did tell me about a ball valve setup. I'm thinking it may well be something to look into, especially if it makes things easier. I'll have to ask them next time I'm in there.

Good stuff Kelsey.

I've bought a few 3pc ball valve sets (inc nuts, washers, seals and hop screens) from CB and there not cheap mate but they are very good quality.

Let us know how brew day goes and make sure you have a towel on hand for squeezing the air out of the cube so you dont burn yourself [wink]

Let us know how brew day goes and make sure you have a towel on hand for squeezing the air out of the cube so you dont burn yourself [wink]

I use my legs (in thick trackies) to squeeze while I do the lid up. [innocent]

So Craftbrewer is the place for fittings and such?

It went very long, but all in all it went pretty well for the first go. I had no problems with the process itself or anything but have got a few ideas for making things a little easier next time. Brew is cubed and naturally cooling, waiting for an empty FV currently.[biggrin]

I'm interested in this ball valve thingy. What does it look like and what does it actually do?

Ah yeah. It's just a Crown urn that I'm using as my boiler/kettle. I'm guessing you remove the existing tap and replace it with the ball valve? I had a heap of trouble trying to get the silicon tubing on to the tap tonight, in the end I just gave up and sanitized a funnel and used that into the tubing.[lol]

To squeeze the cube I just rest the cube against a wall and use my knee to expell the air. No need for towels or thick trackies etc.

Regarding the ball valve, you can get them for $20ish delived off ebay which is around $10 cheaper than CB. The idea is you remove the tap from the urn and replace that with a threaded SS nipple. A silicone washer and a SS nut and SS washer on the inside and the same on the outside of the urn which seals the hole where the original tap was. Do not do these up overly tight as you will buckle the wall of the urn. 1/2 inch barb on the outside then just need a 1/2 inch ID hose from the barb to the cube to drain your wort. Easy peasy!!

Glad all worked for you Kelsey. No doubt once you start to have an idea of the process you can simplify things and by doing so will make it a lot quicker.

Archived