Coopers Community

Cascade Pale Ale (AG)

Well I think it's safe to say that this test tube of wort has finished fermenting, it's been at the same gravity for the past 3 or 4 days, and it's cleared up considerably. There's a small layer of trub/yeast on the bottom, probably 3-4mm high. I had a taste test of it, it's hard to describe what it tastes like, but there's no terrible flavours or off flavours, sourness or anything like that. It just tastes like yeasty "barleywater"[lol]

I've just mixed up 50g of LDM in 500mL of boiling water in a pyrex jug, so once that cools down to room temp I'll throw in the yeast from the tube and let it ferment again. [joyful]

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just brewed my 1st partial mash version of midwest supplies' cascade pale ale last week Tuesday. Biab style as well. Pretty easy,& the smell/flavor is so much cleaner. Even the hops really pop in this style of brewing vs all extracts I had been doing.

The kit used 4lbs of 2-row,.5lb of carapils,& .5lb of crystal 10L with a 3.3lb jug of plain gold LME from briesse. US-05 yeast in a 5 gallon batch. 3oz of cascade hops for bittering,flavor,& aroma additions. Still fermenting & the airlock smells are good. Should be ready in bottles for turkey day. Your recipe for all grain sounds similar.

Nice one! [biggrin] Yeah it's a pretty simple process, it just takes longer than extract or kit brewing. But I really enjoyed it when I did that one the other week. I haven't started fermenting mine yet, but probably will next weekend. I'm planning on mixing up another batch on Sunday. That recipe does sound pretty similar actually, you will have to keep us updated on how it turns out.

An update on the wild yeast experiment: I pitched the yeast from the sample tube into the wort in the pyrex jug last night, less than 12 hours later it has formed a krausen about 5 or 6mm thick on top and is bubbling away nicely. There's also some condensation on the glad wrap covering it. I have no idea what sort of yeast it is, but it's certainly interesting!

Hiya Otto Man.

As I stated a little further back in this thread, I've been quite fascinated in the process of All Grain brewing. I'm enjoying reading yours & (primarily BillK's) discussions & retorts on the subject. [cool]

I just wanted to know a few things from yourself & any of the All-Grain brewers on the site...

So basically you have created an unhopped wort for storage at this stage?

If this is the case, Is the consistency like "treacle" (like an extract), or is it thinner?

Given you have a 40 litre urn, effectively how much base wort could you make in one sitting? And approx. how many brews could you then use that in?

And for the folks at home [biggrin], if it's not too hard to work out, what would you say it costs to make your own base wort, compared to what you would pay for the same amount of Liquid Malt Extract of a similar weight/litreage?

Thanks in advance,

Beer.

If this is the case, Is the consistency like "treacle" (like an extract), or is it thinner?

It is a hopped wort and full volume. So it isn't concentrated like a treacle concistency.

It is 20 odd litres of wort ready to pour into the fermenter.

And for the folks at home [biggrin], if it's not too hard to work out, what would you say it costs to make your own base wort, compared to what you would pay for the same amount of Liquid Malt Extract of a similar weight/litreage?

Thanks in advance,

Beer.

I buy Aussie ale malt at $3.50/kg, for 20L of 1.045 wort I use (approximately) 4kg = $14 (If I bought 25kg sacks it would be a lot cheaper)

2 cans of extract at 1.5kg would make something close to a 1.045 which would set you back $22

I just wanted to know a few things from yourself & any of the All-Grain brewers on the site...

Yes

It is no different than what you are fermenting in your FV. Basically, as runny as water.

Given you have a 40 litre urn' date=' effectively how much base wort could you make in one sitting? And approx. how many brews could you then use that in?[/quote']

When doing AG you don't make a "base wort". (well I guess you do but not as you are referring to here) What you are making is everything, just the same as you would a K&K with the added water and sugars. When you are ready to ferment you pour all this into your FV and no need to add anything else. Well, except yeast of course.

I usually make enough to ferment 26L which gives me about 8-9 bottles and a keg. If you have a 40L Urn then this is about the most you will get out of it unless you go MaxiBIAB of course. However, that is another process. I have previously had discussions with a well known awarded BIABer at AHB, and we have come to the conclusion that with a bit of extra work you could in fact make enough to do a double. i.e. 38L.

To make a standard 23L you would:

Pay for hops, price varies depending on style and how you hop your beer. To make something very basic so as to compare apples with apples as close as possible of what you would expect in most Kits you would probably use about 25g-30g hops.

As far as how much the grain costs to creat your wort. This depends on your efficiency and how you purchase your grain and what type of grain you are using. Here is an example of what it costs me for a basic APA at about 75% efficiency:

5Kg Ale Malt (about $11)

500g Caramalt (about $1)

Hops (about $1)

Take into account that I have not included prices for dry hopping or late additions as this is also not included in a Kit. remember I am trying to get a close comparison and you could really do without the CaraMalt even.

All in all I am paying about $12-$13 for a far superior outcome.

Hope this helps.....

Yes

I think Bill meant to say that the wort is hopped, not unhopped.

Yes

I think Bill meant to say that the wort is hopped, not unhopped.

Almost yes in a round about funny sort of way [innocent] You can obviously create unhopped wort or hopped. However, obviously we create hopped wort. The main reason for this is you decide what exactly you want prior to making it. Why would one create unhopped wort when it is easier to create exactly what beer you want on brew day?

[lol]

Well I guess Lusty's questions have already been answered, so there's probably no need for me to elaborate on it too much. As has already been said, what you create in the urn is ready to ferment (once cooled down of course). The mashing process obviously extracts the sugars and such from the grains, and then you boil the whole volume and add your hops at various intervals for bitterness, flavour etc. Much like extract brewing except the full volume boil. And finally yes, it does work out cheaper. I ordered 1.6kg of various hops online for about $40 ($57 incl. postage) which should last me a while as I don't use a LOT of hops in my beers, but enough to give it a nice flavour. I got a 25kg sack of ale malt for $90, works out at $3.60/kg. It is cheaper at CB, but I couldn't be arsed driving the hour round trip again so just went local. Next time I'll head there though.

I actually put all my inventory of ingredients into Beersmith with the actual cost I paid for them, and when I add a recipe it works out how much it cost me. This one worked out at $26.11, the Amber Ale I'm gonna mix up on Sunday works out at $24.27. But when you factor in that the cost of the base malt for the whole batch is about the same as one tin of extract, it certainly works out cheaper.[biggrin]

Oh I won't be using it in this brew. I've got some US-05 in the fridge for this one[lol] However, I am gonna make up a mini batch with a kilo of LDM and whatever hops, probably Cascade, and pitch it into that and see how it turns out. It's currently fermenting 500mL of unhopped wort that is just 50g of LDM in 500mL water. It started bloody fast though. I pitched it about 9pm last night, and when I got up for work about 6am today it had formed a krausen. Maybe because it's such a small amount of wort?

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have enough empties (or will in 2 weeks), so I chucked this wort into the fermenter just before and pitched the yeast. I got 21 litres out of it, and the OG was 1047. Should be bottling in two weeks or so, probably have a sample of one in a month and then leave it to age. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out though.[biggrin]

I haven't done anything with that wild yeast as yet either.. I probably should figure out something to do with it though[lol]

Me too! Just had a look at it before when I got home, it's formed a krausen and bubbling away nicely, there's also a pretty nice aroma coming out of the FV too which I haven't noticed with any brews before!

I was a little concerned about it actually because I have 25 litre cubes, and since I only got 21 litres out of it, there was a bit of headspace in the cube while it sat there waiting. But when I opened it up to put it in the FV it just smelt like a normal unfermented wort, so thankfully no nasties got in. The amber ale I made a bigger batch so it filled the other cube completely.

• 3 weeks later...

So I bottled this brew last Friday, it was cloudy as all hell despite sitting in the FV for 2 weeks. Maybe due to the lack of a whirlfloc tablet? Anyway I added some gelatin to it when it was bottled and it's cleared up heaps in the few days, although there's more sediment than I'm used to. I will sample one next weekend and see how it's tasting though, and then leave it age a bit. [biggrin]

Hi everyone, just an update on this brew. I gave in to temptation [devil] and sampled one of these yesterday, and a friend also had one. Even though it's only been in the bottles a week, I was most impressed with this brew. It was delicious! My friend also liked it. Really nice color too. Obviously the carb levels were a little low, and the head retention pretty well non-existent, but overall it's turned out nicely, probably better than I was expecting. [biggrin] I will leave the rest of them now, but I think this will turn out to be probably my best beer so far.

I wish I had been able to afford AG equipment sooner than I was able to, it's a fun process and if that brew is anything to go by, makes awesome beer too!

Hi everyone' date=' just an update on this brew. I gave in to temptation [devil'] and sampled one of these yesterday, and a friend also had one. Even though it's only been in the bottles a week, I was most impressed with this brew. It was delicious! My friend also liked it. Really nice color too. Obviously the carb levels were a little low, and the head retention pretty well non-existent, but overall it's turned out nicely, probably better than I was expecting. [biggrin] I will leave the rest of them now, but I think this will turn out to be probably my best beer so far.

I wish I had been able to afford AG equipment sooner than I was able to, it's a fun process and if that brew is anything to go by, makes awesome beer too!

Fizzy nectar from the gods mate.... it will only get better from here [love]

I actually gave away most of my cans and even the ones I already brewed..... switched to AG and haven't done a can since. However, this is not saying cans are no good, I just prefer the later. Well... ok then, taste wise there is no comparison as it is like comparing apples with oranges.

Well done Kelsey and see you on the dark side [ninja]

Way to go Kelsey. I too was amazed when I tried my first one.[w00t]

I'd love to say that all of my AGs have been better than kits, but there's one I'm about to start drinking which I'm not looking forward to. It's an APA which I hopped with way too much Citra and didn't bitter it enough. It tastes like f**king Passion Pop![pinched]

Apart from that I've probably done around 20 other AG brews now and they have all been gold.

Many thanks must still go to Coopers for creating products that are of a high enough quality to get people into the process in the first place.

Well done mate!

Archived