Coopers Community

Cascade Pale Ale (AG)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats on your 1st bottled All Grain beer Otto man! [cool]

I shall be following your future exploits, even if I'm not posting in your threads with any regularity. You're sort of a level above where I'm at right now with my brewing. You being all grain & me being extract with grain.

Now that I know I can effectively mash (high five to BillK & Hairy!), I'll be seeking to up the grain addition(s) into my brews on a more regular basis. I am restricted though with mash/steep liquid bases not exceeding 6 litres.

A very rewarding weekend for the pair of us I'd say. [happy]

Anthony.

Hi BillK.

I feel your subtle nudge in the right direction. [tongue]

Big W sell SS 19L pots for under $20. It's worth while getting one of these as they have multiple uses.

I actually bought my second 7.5 litre cook pot on the weekend just gone from Big-W to do my Vienna mash in.

19 litres...It must be huge? A standard FV is about 30L. Remember I cook on a normal sized stove top. My mashing/steeping is done in the oven (now). I think the dimensions of this pot may be an issue for me. The time to heat liquids to temperature would be horrendously long with a vessel of this size with standard sized burners, although I do have a larger wok sized burner that I use for cooks.

I'd have to put it on the night before! [lol] [pinched] [tongue] [biggrin]

Anthony.

Lusty, I use the 19 litre SS Big W pot and it does the job. It has copped a fair bit of use and is still going strong.

You just need to work out how much wort you can bring to boil on your stove top.

I have a gas stove top and can get easily get 12 litres to a rolling boil. It doesn't take too long to get there either; I will time it next time.

I don't put it in the oven though.

Hi Hairy. [happy]

I have a gas stove top and can get easily get 12 litres to a rolling boil. It doesn't take too long to get there either; I will time it next time.

I'd be interested in that time Hairy, given I reckon my 5-6 litre boils seem to take long enough even with the lid on! [pinched]

The pot I bought on the weekend has the same metal (aluminium/tin) all around, handles & all. Perfect for oven mashing/steeping. My oven can certainly house a much larger vessel for mashing/steeping should I want to. The versatility of that vessel from stovetop to oven, back to stovetop for the hop boil would be very relevant on whether I COULD use it or not.

Anthony.

Cheers Lusty!

Yeah, it still tastes a bit yeasty, but I'm sure that'll disappear as it ages. I am looking forward to mixing up another batch soon, which I'll do as soon as I put the English "Pale" Ale in the FV.

I think it was a productive weekend indeed, ended up getting some girl's number on the bus home from the pub on Friday.. hahah[lol]

Good score there Otto man....maybe...

I think it was a productive weekend indeed' date=' ended up getting some girl's number on the bus home from the pub on Friday.. hahah[/quote']

Given the circumstances of your meet, I'd be giving her a good dose of Napisan before progressing any further! [lol]

Anthony.

Hi Hairy. [happy]

I'd be interested in that time Hairy, given I reckon my 5-6 litre boils seem to take long enough even with the lid on! [pinched]

The pot I bought on the weekend has the same metal (aluminium/tin) all around, handles & all. Perfect for oven mashing/steeping. My oven can certainly house a much larger vessel for mashing/steeping should I want to. The versatility of that vessel from stovetop to oven, back to stovetop for the hop boil would be very relevant on whether I COULD use it or not.

Anthony.

With mine I usually boil the jug a few times and this speeds up the process. I get a good rolling boil with 10L-15L on an Induction stove top, no problems. I also know a lot of people with the same pot on an electric stove and gas stoves, also with no problems. [rightful]

Edit: I hope you're not boiling the pot with the lid on but just leaving the lid on until it reaches a boil??? [pinched]

Archived