Coopers Community

Cascade Pale Ale (AG)

Cheers Bill! Yeah that sounds a lot easier than trying to stretch tubing over the existing tap. The tubing I have is \xbd inch. Will look into it for sure.

Yes I discovered a pair of nails in a beam above where I do the mashing/boiling yesterday, so next time I'm gonna get a skyhook or two or something similar and hang the bag on that above the urn to drain it. That's one thing I've found to make things quicker/easier. Should have looked into that beforehand but anyway, live and learn! Probably be a few weeks or so before I make up another batch so I'll have some time to get the tap situation sorted.

Thanks for all the advice so far too, no doubt I'll have more questions as I get further along with it.[biggrin]

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No problems... more than happy to help if I can.

These are worth while looking into too instead of a sky hook system, can do lots of things with it. I was going to mount it on a frame but decided to go straight through the ceiling instead [ninja]

6988745845_501362b2cc.jpg

That looks fancy lol. I thought about the idea of a pulley system yesterday while the mash was happening. But I guess I have no problems lifting the bag out, as long as it can hang on something! How long does it take to drain completely and can you squeeze it out? (I didn't squeeze it yesterday).

That hoist is handy to lift and arrange kegs into Obelix as well. I don't know what I'd do without it now.

To squeeze, or not to squeeze..... that is the question!

Some people do, some people don't. I usually do as I can't resist it. However, last time I let it drain while getting to a boil. It was slowly dripping and in the end I caved in an squeezed. I get a heap more out of it and it really hasn't been bad for me to do so previously.

As I said, some squeeze and some don't. Therefore, I'd suggest you do both and be happy with what ever you decide.

BribieG at AHB is renown for his BIAB. I believe he gets a big tub and sandwiches the bag between 2 fridge shelves resting on top of the bucket. It is known as the BribiePressinator, you can see it here http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv144/BribieG/wort%20press/wortpress5Large.jpg

HERE is a thread I started at AHB which gives a bit of info on the topic.

[lol] Yeah I don't have kegs at the moment. I daresay I won't as long as I'm living in this house because there's simply no room.

But anyway, I'll try the squeeze method next brew, I can imagine it would get a lot more out of the bag to do so, which is always a good thing! I like the look of that press though.

A bit off topic but not really: I took a hydrometer sample of the wort pre-boil on Sunday, it measured about 1038-1040 once it had cooled down. Anyway I just left it sit there, went in to have a look at something just before and it's bubbling away like mad and the gravity has dropped to about 1020. I reckon it must have picked up a wild yeast and started fermenting![lol] I'm gonna leave it there now and see how low it goes.

I took a hydrometer sample of the wort pre-boil on Sunday' date=' it measured about 1038-1040 once it had cooled down. Anyway I just left it sit there, went in to have a look at something just before and it's bubbling away like mad and the gravity has dropped to about 1020. I reckon it must have picked up a wild yeast and started fermenting![lol'] I'm gonna leave it there now and see how low it goes.

Yep sounds like some foreign yeasties. Give it a bit of a taste after it finishes and if you like the result then you could always rinse it and you'll have a new strain that nobody else has [cool]

Obviously you can't put hot wort into the hydrometer tube as it will melt the tube. Nevertheless, you can use the temperature adjuster calculator in Brewmate to work out your gravity readings if need be.

Yep sounds like some foreign yeasties. Give it a bit of a taste after it finishes and if you like the result then you could always rinse it and you'll have a new strain that nobody else has [cool]

That's an interesting idea, I was thinking of tasting it just for the hell of it, how would you go about rinsing it out of a test tube? I haven't rinsed yeast before. But yeah, wonder whether it'd be good for ales or lagers. [lol]

I'd let it finish then decant liquid and pour yeast into 1040 wort at the next increment. eg. if you have 100ml now then let it finish and decant the liquid and pitch the yeast into 500-1000ml of 1040 wort and let ferment again.

Ah yep, cool. Well I've got some leftover LDM from the Amber Ale recipe I did before this one, which I probably won't use now, so I can use that to make up some wort for it. Might try that though, would be interesting for sure. [happy]

To get the yeast out of the tube, I'm guessing just add a bit of water and swish it around then pour into the new wort?

Hey Otto Man. . .

This AG brewing seems to be consuming you at the moment.

You do know that if your wort gets too BIG, you can buy an ointment to help you out with that?

Hahaha! (Sorry!) [lol] [biggrin] [tongue]

Beer.

lol @ Beer.... his switch to AG is only the beginning of a long haul now. He's going to be wondering soon why he didn't do it earlier, as I did, I guarantee it.

Keep us posted Kelsey, I'm interested to hear how it goes. [cool]

I've been following the thread with interest. I can see Otto Man is soaking up your advice like a sponge atm BillK.

Personally I've enjoyed reading & learning about the fact you are actually creating a base wort for storage.

Fascinating. [cool]

P.S. Good luck Otto Man!

Beer.

I'll be doing my 2nd AG on the weekend, same setup - a 40L urn. Since its got an exposed element I just need to get a cake rack (and also another 20L cube).

I no chill so to speak, except after I fill the cube I tie a rope around it and toss it in the pool. It's ready to go in 45 minutes.

Haha. Or maybe I can put some yeast on it and it will ferment it away[tongue] Anyway yeah it's really interesting and exciting for me, so I don't mind asking a heap of questions and listening to the advice of more experienced brewers. As they say, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask!

But yeah I'll keep this thread updated about the wild yeast experiment, maybe I can do that with all my worts in future and see what I discover.[lol]

My urn has the concealed element, but I still keep the bag off it while it's on. I turn it off if lowering the bag. One thing I do need to get though is a mash paddle/stirrer. I was able to improvise on the first brew but it was a bit of a pain in the arse. That's an interesting idea (throwing it in the pool)! I'll probably get into a cycle at some point where I'm making up a batch on the weeks where I'm not bottling or whatever. But then I don't mind leaving it sit in the cube for a while.

I don't turn my urn on at all while the bag is in there. There is no need to, I also have the concealed element. One thing with the concealed element to be aware of is ensuring the element in the middle is always clean. If it isn't you may have troubles achieving a rolling boil. I have never had any problems with this issue as I keep it as clean as a whistle.

Even though I know of some people who also use the "Pool" technique with great success, one must also be aware that whilst no chilling the wort does need to remain hot for a period of time to minimmise and/or kill off any foreign bodies inside the cube.

I suggest if you are going to ferment the wort the same day then in the pool is a top idea. However, if you don't plan to use it the same day then why create the additional work and chance it not being successful?

Yeah, I did put the bag in there while it was coming up to mash temp, but because of the heat it just floated on the top; I had no grains in it. I'll probably just leave it out next time though. I then improvised a hook system to lift it out while I raised the temp to mash out at the end. I hadn't yet discovered those handy nails right above the area I use[pinched]

As for the pool technique, I don't even have a pool to throw it in even if I wanted to, so that won't be being used. [lol]

Just a quick update on the wild yeast experiment. The 'beer' in the test tube seems to be starting to clear up a bit, there's a bit of trub in the bottom. Gravity currently is around 1012. I think it's pretty much finished but I'm gonna leave it for another week, and then mix up a new wort in a jug or something and tip the yeast in and "re-ferment" it as per Bill's instructions. [happy]

Cool as. I was thinking if/when I do use it in a proper brew that I'll just make a mini-batch rather than a full sized one, as it is really an experiment I don't really want to use up too many ingredients/bottles on it. I'll probably just go and buy a kilo bag of LDM instead of using my grains for it.

Archived