Coopers Community

Now that we are talking about it...canadian blonde:)

NathanW9

bought kit from kmart today as thought coming into spring / summer this would make a great summer / easy to drink beer. Been searching through threads and havnt come up with any definet answer but looking at the strawberry blonde receipe it seems to me like a great sumer beer to slam down after mowing the lawn ect on the weekend. The problem lies with the honey...can't find it anywhere so what did you use to substitute?? Any other tips / recommendations with this receipe??

After a little digging around on the net and here i found that alot of people use the everyday Capilano honey to good effect FYOI[biggrin]

I plan to go this way with the receipe:

1 x Canadian Blonde Can

1 x 1.5kg LLME

300g Honey

Yeast not sure yet, never done a blonde, any suggestions or just use coopers yeast under tin?

Now you tell me[biggrin] Was thinking of using genuine (100% maple Syrup) instead of honey?? Anyone tried? If all fails, been a blonde style of beer, what hops could i use that would suit the style and what yeast would i use..lager, ale?

I'm only a noob at brewing beer (got a kit for my birthday in July and brewed twice.)the second brew was a straight Canadian Blonde. I've gone on a limb on this third one and making a blonde with Mango, Ginger and Kaffir Lime..... I should be bottling mid next week so I'll let you know how it turns out

before making the can as per directions (except Brew Enhancer 2 not 1) I cooked off 3 tins (800g) mango, 6 Kaffir Lime Leaves and bout 120gm peeled and sliced Ginger in a pressure cooker for bout 15min added this to the "wort" then added Water.....

I was a little worried that I pitched the yeast a little too hot (34/35 deg) but it has really gone well so far....

I was a little worried that I pitched the yeast a little too hot (34/35 deg) but it has really gone well so far....

Whoa! That is pretty hot mate. Hope it came down in temp nice and quickly. I aim for 24C for pitching, and then bring it down to 20C shortly after and for the duration.

Took me a while to get that bit right though! [innocent]

Sounds like a really interesting brew. You'll have to let us know how it turns out.

Now you tell me[biggrin] Was thinking of using genuine (100% maple Syrup) instead of honey?? Anyone tried? If all fails' date=' been a blonde style of beer, what hops could i use that would suit the style and what yeast would i use..lager, ale?[/quote']

There is a receipe in Clone Brews that uses Maple Syrup, I'll try and remember to look it up tonight.

I tried the strawberry blonde receipe as well, and definitely the worst kit brew I've made (might have been the honey I used, but found it had the honey aftertaste without the sweetness and wasn't very pleasant).

Snuck a taste of ManGoesCrazy tonight and I've got to say it is pretty good! Great Mango perfume with Ginger and Lime undertones but a little "resiny" back note from the Kaffir leaves.... hopefully straining them out before fermenting will fix that - a couple of weeks and ManGoesCrazy 2 will test that.... :)

• 1 month later...

I used yellow box honey as it was the lightest that i could find. i reduced the quantity to 200gms in case it had an unwanted aftertaste.after a week in the bottle is was a bit disappointed as the honey taste was distinctive, but after a month the honey taste had gone and left a nice smoothness to the brew. it has been one of my best efforts and i am putting another one down this weekend and will use the same recipe. i can definately recommend it.

Archived