Coopers Community

Julebryg

ash

I have another question?

I used half ale yeast and half lager yeast, it's been in the bottle for 1 week and is already very carbonated. A friend recommended I condition at a lower temperature? If that's the case then it's not going to age if you like between now and J-day or Xmas.

I have another question?

I used half ale yeast and half lager yeast' date=' it's been in the bottle for 1 week and is already very carbonated. A friend recommended I condition at a lower temperature? If that's the case then it's not going to age if you like between now and J-day or Xmas.[/quote']

Heya,

Yea ill probably go half ale half lager when I make this. Did you carb it at the normal (8g per litre) rate?

I heard that dark beers are nicer when carbed at a lower rate to give a smoother texture sideways

This is what I'm thinking:

1.7kg OS Lager

1.7kg English Bitter

500g Crystal Malt

250ml Chai Tea Elixir

21L

Ferment around 18c-21c

Simplez. The Chai Elixir has about 130g Cane sugar + tea extract and other "Organic" spice flavours that make it just that easier for a lazy arse like myself to brew. biggrin

Comments?

Cheers

• 1 month later...

Happy J-dag!

I'm deciding whether I should sample my Julebryg tonight as tradition.

This was my first time using a lager yeast. I know the instructions say it's best to wait 12 weeks after bottling, it's only been 7 weeks so far. Why do the lager yeasts require more bottling time and how would the brew be now as opposed to leaving for another 5 weeks?

• 6 months later...

Time to make another tomorrow.

Not as much crystal as the other but I don't have anymore than 250g.

I have altered the Pale to Munich ratio to increase the maltiness to compensate.

Recipe: Julebryg II

Brewer: Grumpy

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.060 SG

Estimated Color: 24.6 EBC

Estimated IBU: 32.0 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

3.50 kg Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC) Grain 1 59.8 %

2.00 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC) Grain 2 34.2 %

0.25 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (59.1 EBC) Grain 3 4.3 %

0.10 kg Chocolate Malt (Joe White) (750.6 EBC) Grain 4 1.7 %

40.00 g Northern Brewer [5.85 %] - First Wort 90 Hop 5 26.1 IBUs

4.00 g Brewbrite (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 6 -

4.00 Items Star Anise (Boil 10.0 mins) Spice 7 -

67.00 g Saaz [3.03 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 mi Hop 8 5.8 IBUs

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• 5 years later...

Star anise; has a more of a spicy licorice sort of flavour about it, ive used it in a ginger beer ages ago with some ginger & cloves...I might be getting a little off topic here but it might be tasty with cinnamon & some dark Crystal & chocolate grains in a dark ale. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ocean's of Ale- said:

Star anise; has a more of a spicy licorice sort of flavour about it, ive used it in a ginger beer ages ago with some ginger & cloves...I might be getting a little off topic here but it might be tasty with cinnamon & some dark Crystal & chocolate grains in a dark ale. 

Could be Oceans.... could be.

Am more just chasing the Cinnamon-Cloves-Nutmeg maybe a bit of Ginger.... classic Euro/German Christmas spices meself.... and am wondering how many cloves I should add without making it mouth-numbingly cloved-up?!  ; )

21 hours ago, Ocean's of Ale- said:

@Bearded Burbler Maybe a little bratwurst sausage or kartoffelpuffer in that brew too mate? To give it some real German authenticity...

Ach wie schön.

You Pirates obviously travel the seas.... and have learned the delicacies of many lands!