US-05 yeast + can yeast

Made to 21 L

Should I dryhop this?

I have the following as dried flowers:

Cascade

Amarillo

Fuggles

Let me know what you think[cool]

I have hopped the IPA kit with plenty of flavour & aroma hops and it is great.

So should I go with 10 or 15 grams? More?

Is that 15g each of cascade & amarillo? If so then that is OK if using pellets. I have never dry hopped with flowers before so I am not sure of the quantity to use. You may need more.

PB2 has dry hopped his Motueka Slam with 80g of Motueka hop flavours.

Motueka Slam IPA

The thread includes a bonus photo of Muddy in a wedding dress [biggrin]

Certainly dry hop. I would have even thrown some in at 5 minutes or so. Amarillo or Cascade as Hairy suggested would be nice. Try at 1g for every liter then adjust next time to suit your preferences.

Hey guys,

When dry hopping, how long before bottling?

I just dry hopped my IPA @ day 13 in FV & was wondering if it can be bottled tomorrow.

What I'm really trying to ask is do the hops need a few days to 'infuse' or is 1 day enough?

...urghhh, hard to erase the Image of Muddy in a wedding dress....[sick]

Thanks all for the input[biggrin]

I have decided to throw in 30 grams of dried flowers when foam have subsided. (15 gr. amarillo, 15 gr. cascade)

Simply put them in a boiled grainbag or ad marbles or stainless cutlery?

Hi all

What about late hop (1-2 mins or @ flameout) vs dry hop? Recently I've started losing faith in dry hopping, and reverted to late hopping. In the past I've dry hopped at 1g/L and up to 2g/L. I'm not really convinced.

What's the general opinion out there?

And on a slightly different note, on gravity of hop boils... I still think my best American Pale Ale came about when I really had no idea what I was doing. I ended up doing my boil with 1.5kg of LME in 1 or 2L of water. I swear that the flavour of the hops in this beer was the best from any I've made.

Would it be that high gravity boils are good for flavour, but perhaps not so for bitterness? Or am I just full of it (or both)?

As always, any suggestions will be appreciated. Especially as I'm about to have a crack at a hoppy American Amber ale with Centennial and Amarillo.

Cheers,

-Dyl

For the last few hoppy beers I've done both [bandit]

I'm like Yob and love hops [love] [love]

I guess it depends on how long you let the beer sit for, cos the aroma can dissipate if you let it sit too long. If you're planning on letting the beer sit in the FV for a while a dry hop would be better I guess?

I read that hoppy beers are better drunk early due to this - can anyone confirm if this is the case?

As I am very un trained when it comes to the whole hops thing, I bought a sixer of the Coopers anniversary ale, I thought the smell of it was what the bag of hops I had smelt like. Would anyone who has drank it say that that's a beer that is hoppy. Otherwise can someone recommend one to taste that I can get an Idea of what it's really like. Cheers, sorry to digress the thread a little

Dylan, I too was disappointed with dry hopping for a while there and moved to late additions instead.

But now I do both. I tend to have a 5 minute addition plus a dry hop.

Benny, I found the Celebration Ale to only be slightly hoppy. If you are looking for easy to find beers then try Little Creatures Pale Ale or Stone & Wood Pacific Ale.

Otherwise go to a store with a good range and try some American pale ales and American IPAs.

Would it be that high gravity boils are good for flavour, but perhaps not so for bitterness? Or am I just full of it (or both)?

Hops do seem more harsh the lower the gravity. You need to find a gravity that works best for you.

Higher the gravity the less utilisation you will get from your hops. Most people use 1030-1040 gravity.

Aww I meant to post this the other night for you Yob...

Hop Bach

Double IPA 9.8% a/v

Brewed at Red Duck by Anders Kissmeyer of Kissmeyer

Beer and Scott Wilson-Browne of Red Duck

This is a tasty little double IPA that we used 25 different

hops in. There are more hops that we could have used,

but for this bitter sweet harmony, we carefully picked as

many as worked together, some for bittering only, some

in aroma, and a few for both. All of the aroma hops, and

2 of the bittering hops were also used in dry hopping

later on.

Your favourite hop is probably in this beer, but we are

keeping the list secret, so you will only ever know if you

taste this amazing ale.

If you love hops, this is probably the most awesome ale

you have ever had, or will...

Only one batch brewed, so just 650 bottles available

http://www.redduckbeer.com.au/tn/Hop-Bach-no1-TN.pdf

25 DIFFERENT HOPS!!!

Dry hop for at least a week,even 10 days to get really great aroma. I've used up to 1.5oz in dry hop before,but some even use 2 or 3 ounces.

And definetly wait for the beer to get down to FG before dry hopping. Letting it settle out clear or slightly misty is better as well. Why? Because the lupulin oils from the hops coat the settling yeasties & go to the bottom. You want them to stay in suspension. I suspect that's why some of you aren't getting good hop aroma in dry hop,because you're doing it too early.

Ive taken to double dropping, you will notice the aroma when dry hopping when ferment is underway, the fact is that if you can smell it volatiles are being driven off, this is not to say that it ALL is being driven off but certainly some is.

A dry hop at half ferment and then a few days toward the end will add back, indeed dry hopping at various times, even during cold conditioning add various compounds and are subtly different.

I was listening to a BN podcast the other day about IPA's and the brewery in question added dry hops at 3 day intervals. I havnt yet tried this but rest assured the next IPA that hits my FV's will be getting this treatment.

There is only one answer, IMO, to this question and it is a resounding YES, I tried brewing without dry hopping for a bit and I think all those beers were lacking in final aroma/flavour.

To dry hop or not to dry hop?

Always.

Yob

Archived