Coopers Community

Best Extra Irish Stout!

ArveL

I have just started a batch og what I call Best Extra Irish Stout.

I used the following:

\u20221.7kg Thomas Coopers Irish Stout

\u20221kg Coopers Brew Enhancer 2

\u20221.5kg Thomas Coopers Light Malt Extract

I used the one yeast from the can. at 25 degree celsius.

I also decided to add a little bit more water in this brew, so I filled it up to 27 liters total.

This batch is now fermenting on 18 degree Celsius.

Any comment on this?

I have just started a batch og what I call Best Extra Irish Stout.

I used the following:

\u20221.7kg Thomas Coopers Irish Stout

\u20221kg Coopers Brew Enhancer 2

\u20221.5kg Thomas Coopers Light Malt Extract

I used the one yeast from the can. at 25 degree celsius.

I also decided to add a little bit more water in this brew, so I filled it up to 27 liters total.

This batch is now fermenting on 18 degree Celsius.

Any comment on this?

Forgot to say that the OG was 1050 with 27 liters of water.

If you have already started the batch then its a bit too late to change anything [innocent]

In the end you let it ferment, bottle or keg it and then drink it. If it isn't too your liking then you tweak it a little.

Filling it up to 27 litres will dilute the bitterness a little and all the added extra malt may mask some of the bitterness also. That may be good, or not. The proof is in the tasting.

Let us know how it turns out.

I just rehydrated 11 grams of Nottingham yeast i 100mL water at 35 degree celcius and added it to the brew. It started at once to step ut the speed.

Would it be bad to add a cup of espresso coffee at the end og the fermenting?

If you are bottling then you could try adding coffee to some of the bottles to see how it turns out.

If it was me I would only do it to a handful. Personally I find instant coffee tastes like [sick] . I have never tried it in a home brew though.

Or if you have the equipment you could rack some beer to another FV and add some expresso when bulk priming.

I just rehydrated 11 grams of Nottingham yeast i 100mL water at 35 degree celcius and added it to the brew. It started at once to step ut the speed.

Becareful rehydrating yeast at high temps. You don't want to kill the little critters [crying]

This brew was bottled yesterday, with very good help from my son at 14 years of age.

But I have started to give myself a bad feeling of this brew.

OG: 1050 at 26.11.2011

After 4 days of fermenting it stopped on 1018 for 3 days so I desided to bottle it.

Alc. % if I calculate it right is 4,22 %.

I added some espresso coffee to 5 bottles.

What could have gon wrong here? And why did the fermenting stop that soon?

Fermenting at 18 degrees there's no way that finished fermenting in 4 days. I don't think that's even possible. Maybe the brew stalled because there wasn't enough yeast.

Even reaching 1018 after 4 days at 18 degrees doesn't seem possible from an OG of 1050.

Maybe the hydrometers faulty. Did you test it in 20 degree water, just in case?

Had the brew cleared, or were you purely watching the hydrometer?

This is why I use the gladwrap method, so I can see clearly the 4 stages of fermentation, then I leave it for a week more to settle out further.

Oh, the gladwrap method is glad wrap/cling wrap over the top of the fermenter, with the rubber o-ring over it to hold it there. Advantage is you can see the brew the whole time.

To test the hydrometer, float it in 20 degree water and see if it sits at 1.000. If it doesn't, you adjust your reading accordingly.

SSo, was the brew clear, or cloudy when you bottled it? Did you taste it?

The brew was very black but not totaly clear, and it tasted ok.

On the pack of Nottingham yeast it said to rehydrate at 30 - 35 degree celcius. I thought that since my brew was fermenting at 18 degree I should rehydrate the new yeast at the highest allowed temp.

If you bottled into PETs there's no real cause for concern. Simply unscrew the caps slightly to release the gas - keep doing this from time to time until the level of CO2 gas has dropped to an acceptable level. [biggrin]

Archived