Coopers Community

Muddy's Four Hops Pale Ale

Crappy name but the recipe makes a very fine pale ale - I'm quite happy with this one [biggrin]

Muddy\u2019s Four Hops Pale Ale

2kg LDM

750g liquid amber malt (about \xbd a tin of Coopers brand)

250g Dex

Steeped Grains (Light Crystal 200g & Carapils 100g)

10L boil (with 1kg of the LDM)

25g Centennial @ 45 mins

20g Amarillo @ 30 mins

15g Amarillo @ 10 mins

15g Cascade @ 2 mins

10g Citra @ 0 mins

American Ale yeast (US-05 or similar)

Ferment @ 18C

Make to 23L

Looks alright. Is the Cascade lost? Though you have only used a small ammount of Citra so probably not. Might be an interesting flavour, mixture of floral, spicy, fruity. Perhaps increase the citra and see what happens?

Another tasty looking brew there Muddy. Now I have a question. "What is your preferred method for cooling you 10L of wort?"

I have been using one 4-5kg bag of ice (don't scoff it is a food product and its purified)witch will for me bring the wort down to about 18C-22C and then top up with 3L-4L of tap water. All in a matter of minutes. No real issues with break material and all the brews turn out great, just don't want to waist water with a cooling coil and ice bath takes to long. Sorry to hijack you story but I was just curious.

Funny you bring the food grade ice up, i was just talking to a neighbour and it was suggested to him to cool with Bells purified food grade ice. Its available all over Melbourne so i might give this a go next time i am trying to get a wort temp down quick.

[cool]

Is the Cascade lost? Though you have only used a small ammount of Citra so probably not. Might be an interesting flavour' date=' mixture of floral, spicy, fruity.[/quote']

Nope the cascade isn't lost but more importantly it doesn't dominate. It was my first use of citra but really only used a small amount because I didn't want to lose the early hops. I reckon it all worked perfectly as is and was just the kind of thing I was aiming for when I concocted the recipe.

"What is your preferred method for cooling you 10L of wort?"

I put it in the kitchen sink with some tap water and esky bricks for a while. I just let it cool for anywhere between 15 and 30 mins. I also always have 10L of cold water in the fridge ready to go. I usually have the wort sitting at around 22C once everything is mixed.

Funny you bring the food grade ice up, i was just talking to a neighbour and it was suggested to him to cool with Bells purified food grade ice. Its available all over Melbourne so i might give this a go next time i am trying to get a wort temp down quick.

I've heard that even pure ice can be contaminated. The bags often have small holes and often the ice melts a bit in transit to the retailer and in storage at the retailer with water leaking in and out which is why I tend not to use it - Have said that I have used Bells (and dodgy home made ice) before successfully but I reckon it could be a bit of Russian roulette and don't want to push my luck.

Looks good Muddy. I've just made a brew with citra for the first time and looking forward to how it turns out.

Perhaps you could have called it The Four Hopsman of the Apocalypse.

Or perhaps not [innocent]

It's been a long day and that's the best I could come up with.

I use ice but just in the sink with water, not in the FV. My last boil was 8 litres and took about 10-15 minutes to cool. I can live with that.

Thank's for your reply and from others. I do worry about contamination, but only a little. I figure that to go from -18C or so too 100C quickly that maybe not much if any bacteria will survive. And if it does most yeasts should out do it.

Well that's the plan as I see it.

Muddy don't forget to let us know how it taste?[roll]

Warren[

I wouldn't have posted it if it didn't taste good [pinched] ....as there are too many crappy recipes flying around on the internet I never post a recipe unless it tastes good....I'd go as far as saying this tastes excellent [biggrin]

Why did you not tell us that it was excellent, instead of "I'm happy with this one" big difference!

What was the volume of the Four Hopsman of the Apocalypse? Did I miss it?[crying]

Big difference my foot [lol] how can I be "happy with it" unless it tastes good? You can rest assured that I would never post a recipe unless it has been thoroughly tried and tested [rightful] ...as for volume well spotted I will update my post when I get home from work (unless I forget [innocent] ).

It is my duty to keep you on your toes![innocent]

A job well done then. I am always trying to better myself so with your encouragement I may one day be 1/2 the man you are Warren - I'll never quite get to your level as I prefer not to wear budgie smugglers [biggrin]

No one should wear budgie smugglers. Ever.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure where you are located Chris but you can buy 19 litre pots from Big W for around $20. That will be sufficient for extract brewing.

No need to boil the other kilo of LDM. 1kg of LDM in 10 litres of water will give you a gravity of around 1040 which is perfect for boiling hops. Adding the additional 1kg will substantially increase the gravity and reduce the efficiency of the hop exttraction in the boil.

You can always add the remaining malt in the last few minutes of the boil if you like or just add it straight to the FV.

So you don't boil in the other kilo of LDM?

I need a bigger pot. I think i need to buy one of those converted keg things with the temp probe and tap on it

No need to. Just add it to the FV. 1kg to a 10L boil is all you want for your hops to work their magic.

Get a $19 20L SS job from BigW. Then you could also venture into stove top brewing with grain as an alternate yummy beer [love]

Edit: Pipped at the post. Gee that Hairy's quick [ninja]

In simplified terms, my understanding is, specialty grains only require steeping as the malts are already converted in the husks during the malting process and kilned with a moisture content which caramelizes the sugars inside, which means the sugars are ready to go.

Other grains require a mash to cause a chemical reaction to happen.

from Wiki

Mashing allows the enzymes in the malt to break down the starch in the grain into sugars, typically maltose to create a malty liquid called wort. There are two main methods - infusion mashing, in which the grains are heated in one vessel; and decoction mashing, in which a proportion of the grains are boiled and then returned to the mash, raising the temperature. Mashing involves pauses at certain temperatures (notably 45 \xb0C, 62 \xb0C and 73 \xb0C), and takes place in a "mash tun" - an insulated brewing vessel with a false bottom. The end product of mashing is called a "mash".

Linky

New question: I tend to boil my grains in the hop bag for as long as I'm doing the boil - why steep over boil?

Further to Bill's answer, boiling grains may extract tannins and cause an astringent flavour in the beer.

Boiling grains is not recommended [rightful]

Archived