Coopers Community

Coopers Pale Ale

RoaldV

Bottled today.

I have to say, the taste of this beer after 2 weeks of primary fermentation is AT LEAST as good as my lager after a month of secondary fermentation. Methinks a very good brew is on the horizon [biggrin]

FG was 1.005, giving it a alcoholic content of 5.2% (factoring in 0.5% for priming).

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, just had my first sneaky taste following secondary fermentation (one of my bottles *almost* passed the squeeze test), and I must say the brew as currently is FAR too sweet [pinched]

Hopefully this is because it is only day 5 in the secondary fermentation period.... and not because I used 1kg of LDM and only lightly hopped the brew.

RV,

I think you'd be right in surmising that its a bit too early to call on this one. Keeping in mind you left it in primary for 2 weeks, your FG was nice and low (so it cant be the LDM), you would have to think it'll be some time longer for secondary to start and finish

I am with you though...its torture waiting

TD

Just give it some more time and then see what you think.

Adding too much malt to a lightly bittered kit like the Pale Ale can lead to a sweet beer.

I don't find 1kg of LDM with the pale ale kit to be too sweet. But it all comes down to your personal taste and 'sweetness threshold'.

If you find that it remains too sweet then in future you might want to consider a 15-20 minute boil of some hops in your brew.

I agree with Hairy, give it the time it deserves to carbonate as 1kg LDM should not be too sweet at all.

More time in the bottle will also allow the yeast to carbonate by chewing on the sugars that are in there [pouty]

Well, as per usual, you guys are correct. What? Do you have some brewing experience or something? [wink]

Anywho, second taste after a week is much much better. Still on the sweeter side, but not ridiculously so. I suspect it will ne even less so in weeks to come. Seems like a good brew is on the cards :)

I will note however I am buzzing after just 1.... [sideways]. which is odd given it's only supposed to be 5.2%.

I will note however I am buzzing after just 1

Did you add honey to it? [biggrin]

Good to hear it has calmed down a little and it should get better still.

Just keep learning from these and tweak them until it suits your taste.

As I mentioned before, everyone has different tastes and, if you have a low sweetness tolerance in beer, you may want to add a short hop boil in future.

Made this.

CAN PALE ALE

BE2

100DEX

US-O5 YEAST 23L

tasted at one month, quite nice, a little on the sweet side, but i am not a fan of Coopers Pale Ale but this had enough difference to please me. Maybe it was the US-05 Yeast that made the difference. Will let youall know at 2 months.

Weggl

Third taste (or is that the fourth now??? losing count) at 3 weeks secondary fermentation.

Awesome brew.

Fantastic balance. Just a touch of hops on the nose, beautiful head, refreshing taste, just brilliant.

[biggrin]

And no you can't have any, it's all mine! [bandit]

Archived