Coopers Community

Coopers Pale Ale

RoaldV

Cascade is an excellent choice for the pale ale [love]

The Hallertau is probably best for a lager or wheat beer but you can use it.

Combinations of hops can go well:

Cascade & Amarillo

Cascade & Nelson Sauvin

Centennial & Amarillo

Galaxy is friggin' awesome but don't overdo that one; it has quite a powerfull flavour & aroma.

The best thing about home brewing is trying different things and seeing if any magic happens.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Righto Hairy,

Spit it out,

1.5kg can CPA

1.5kg can Coopers Wheat Malt Extract

Perhaps something else?

Galaxy Hops

Packet or re-cultured yeast

Can you fill in the blanks? The boiling bit (if there is one in this case) looks simple enough and i have read all the recipes and watched all the vids online, best i have a lash

Thanks

TD

If I were to do it again I would tweak mine slightly. I would do:

1.7kg Coopers Aust Pale Ale

1.5kg Liquid Wheat Malt

300g Dextrose

15g Galaxy @ 10 min

25g Galaxy dry hop

US-05 yeast

23 litres

Give it a little time in the bottle and it settles down nicely.

If you make it, let me know what it is like.

Galaxy has quite a high AA%.

If you want a low bittered beer then change the 10 min addition to steeping the hops. You won't get a lot of bitterness from boiling for 10 minutes but you will get some.

It will still be packed full of flavour but slightly less bitter.

Both I guess [biggrin]

eg. If you want to add 600g of dex you'd add 1kg of BE1.

Hahaha, nice.

But isn't malto-dextrin also a sugar? Or is it something like sugar but not?

EDIT - and Tim, thanks for asking the questions about hops. Sounds like cascade is the one to go with!

TimD - the general consensus is that PoR is a great bitttering hop but not too good for flavour and aroma. You could try it though and see what it is like.

RV - The Australian Pale Ale is a great kit and a really good base.

You could try:

Coopers Australian Pale Ale kit

1kg Light Dry Malt

200-300g Dextrose

And hop it with anything you want. Cascade & Amarillo go well.

It would be easy to steep the hops (ie. hop tea) and add the liquid to the FV.

Quick question Hairy - when you say "light dry malt", is that the same as light malt extract? Or are they two different things?

They are both extracts; one is dry and the other liquid.

1. Light Dry Malt Extract

2. Light Liquid Malt Extract

I tend to use the acronym "LDM" for light dry malt. US brewers tend touse the term "DME" for dry malt extract.

All very confusing.

You can interchange the two as well. Liquid malt is 20% water so a 1.5kg tin of liquid malt is the same as 1.2kg of dry malt.

If a recipe is expressed in terms of dry malt, divide it by 0.80 to get the liquid malt equivalent.

Therefore, my recipe in the earlier post called for 1kg of light dry malt. You could change this to 1.25kg of light liquid malt.

Hope this makes sense.

Yes it does make sense, I was actually thinking that myself (as in surely they must be similar products and more or less interchangeable).

Just bought 1kg of LDME today, so will be going with the powdered form this time.

I also ordered some cascade hops, and some dextrose, so am looking forward to the brew!

Also just cracked my first lager today, taste is good(ish) - albeit flat(ish) - but I'm hearing what people are saying about the maltodextrin.

Dextrose all the way!

Speaking of which, LDME is fermentable, but what is the ratio compared to dextrose? I'm assuming LDME is much less fermentable, but still needs to be calculated in?

Also just cracked my first lager today, taste is good(ish) - albeit flat(ish) - but I'm hearing what people are saying about the maltodextrin.

Dextrose all the way!

Maltodextrin and Dextrose are not comparable as they give different attributes to a brew. Dextrose will thin your beer and up the alcohol percent whereas I understand, Maltodextrin will give your beer more mouth feel and a bit of body and head retention.

Personally I do not use Maltodextrin and I use less Dextrose and make up for this by adding Malt, whether it be dried or liquid and sometimes will use specialty grains to provide another dimension.

Maltodextrin and Dextrose are not comparable as they give different attributes to a brew. Dextrose will thin your beer and up the alcohol percent whereas I understand, Maltodextrin will give your beer more mouth feel and a bit of body and head retention.

Personally I do not use Maltodextrin and I use less Dextrose and make up for this by adding Malt, whether it be dried or liquid and sometimes will use specialty grains to provide another dimension.

Sorry, to clarify, by maltodextrin I was referring to the BE1. I guess what I am saying is that I'll skip the BE1, and go with the straight dextrose with some light dry malt.

I agree skipping the BE1. However, if I were to go with a BE product I would choose BE2. 50% dex 25% LDM 25% Maltodex and I do admitt that I keep a box of BE2 in case of emergency, i.e. I have ran out of everything else. [pinched]

Thanks Tony, that would more or less fit in with the recipe provided earlier in this thread (i.e. 1kg of DME, and 200-300g of dextrose).

Maybe it's more like 75% though?

Liquid malt is 75%, DME a little better at around 80 or 85% going on gravity comparisons over the years that i have done.

Hairy - last question, I promise [innocent]

When you say 200-300g of dextrose, what are the pros and cons of either end of this range?

I was thinking of going 250g, but I am all for a slightly higher alcohol %.... so was thinking maybe 300g, but don't want to do it if 300g is a bit too high.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update on this.

I'm 10 days into the primary fermentation, and the sneaky little tastes I've had (when testing the SG) have been very nice.

As long as I can avoid infection [alien], I'm thinking it's going to be an awesome drop [biggrin]

Archived