Coopers Community

Coopers Pale Ale

RoaldV

Hi all

Haven't even bottled my first brew, but am already starting to think about my second brew [bandit]

I'd like to make another "easy brew" as I want to keep it as simple as possible for the time being.

So, the Coopers recipe for a Pale Ale says:

- 1 can of Coopers Pale Ale

- Brew Enhancer 2.

Instructions say to ferment at 21 degrees, but I also understand from what people have said on the forums that I can also go a bit lower than this (say 18-20 degrees).

Is there anything I should change? Or is this a good recipe for a nice beer?

Your advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

G'Day RV,

Use the search function down the bottom, heaps of talk on CPA jacked up with Hallertau and other goodies from recent times, but as PB has stated a couple of times before, Coopers Pale and Sparkling ales are hopped with Pride of Ringwood but early on in the boil...for bitterness. No aroma or flavouring hops, just lovely yeasty goodness.

Steeping or dry hopping with pellets is a piece of p155 (excuse the pun) and is safe for a beginner, just up to you which hops to use

TD

So (as a novice here), would using PoR as an aroma or flavouring hop produce anything drinkable or are they a little one dimensional? Noting that some recipes ask for early, late and dry hopping of some varieties.

With PoR being so high in alpha acid, would it be safe to say the result would be a little 'rough'

Perhaps PB2 could comment on hops additions that would 'compliment' the CPA/PoR marriage rather than detract from it finer points? I am setting up for a Fat Yak clone this weekend with Nelson Sauvin/Cascade but would like to follow up with a 'worked' CPA

TD

TimD - the general consensus is that PoR is a great bitttering hop but not too good for flavour and aroma. You could try it though and see what it is like.

RV - The Australian Pale Ale is a great kit and a really good base.

You could try:

Coopers Australian Pale Ale kit

1kg Light Dry Malt

200-300g Dextrose

And hop it with anything you want. Cascade & Amarillo go well.

It would be easy to steep the hops (ie. hop tea) and add the liquid to the FV.

The Pale Ale is a great base for excellent beers - what hairy said covers it perfectly.

Roald - My first bit of advice to you would be to ditch any ingredient that is called a brew enhancer, brew booster or similar as they are usually just crap enhancers. Refer to Hairy's earlier post for some sound recipe ideas.

Ok, so going from Hairy's recipe, it would be:

- Coopers Australian Pale Ale kit

- 1kg Light Dry Malt

- 250g Dextrose

In relation to hopping - can I dry hop like Tim suggested?

Or, if seeping would serve better, how does it work?

You can do either; or both.

To steep, just boil some water (a litre or so) and take off the boil.

Add the hops and let it sit there for 15-30 minutes. Then strain the liquid into the fermenter, through a fine strainer or bag.

This will stop the hop material getting into your beer.

Some people use a coffee plunger to do this, which seems to work well.

Thanks Hairy, makes sense.

Another stupid question though - do you hop just before you bottle (i.e. pour the litre of water into the primary fermenter just prior to bottling)? Or do you hop when you first mix everything up? Or at another time?

Your questions aren't stupid. They're pretty much the same that all new brewers have. Its best to ask rather than stuff your beer.

Steeping - pour the liquid in when you are mixing your ingredients. The liquid is usually warm so it also helps dissolve the malt.

Dry Hop - I usually do this 3-4 days after fermentation starts and leave it in until I bottle.

Well, I am not one to do something that is frowned upon [rightful]

Ok, so, I put 15g of hop pellets in 1 litre of boiling water for around 30 minutes, strain it with my coffee plunger, and then throw it in the mix when mixing. Is that it in a nutshell?

Oh, and can BE1 be used as a substitue for dextros? Given it's 60% dextrose anyway...

I put 15g of hop pellets in 1 litre of boiling water

I am not sure if you meant this but you put the hops in "boiled" water (ie. that has been taken off the flame).

If you "boil" the hops for 30 minutes you will extract bitterness.

I think you meant that anyway but just wanted to clarify.

So RV,

Using the CPA 'can o love' and your fermentables of choice, your only other decision is to choose your flavour of hops, and this choice and possibly results is no doubt endless,

I ask the mob (and PB if he's around) what would they recommend and what would they steer us clear of. I recall a recipe using Hallertau but as a rank amateur couldn't begin to tell you what that would result in. Previous advice suggests PoR is a poor choice for flavour/aroma.

Would Cascade be a good start?

TD

Archived